Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sadly, just got a notice that The Double Gun Journal is going the way of the dinosaur. "Due to inflated material and labor costs, and diminishing interest in classic guns...." I hate it, but I guess we could all see it coming. "Black Guns" and plastic guns are all the current generation of shooters cares about.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Haven't had a copy in forever - local places just don't carry it but sad to see it go. Loved reading it back in the day.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a shame. Truly a passion project that had some great writing and photography in it over the years. I subscribed off and on but still get too many magazines (sorry MD!)

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I used to buy one or two issues each year when they were stocked on magazine racks at book and grocery stores. Usually when Ross Seyfried was resurrecting a classic.

When they went to subscription only it fell off my radar.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Earlier this year I bought all 30 years worth of the DGJ. Great reference material for shotgunners and insuring good reading material for my retirement years.

All good here. smile

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have every issue (Volume 1, Issue 1 is the reprint) and both Index and Reader volumes. I'll buy the third I&R when it comes out. DGJ was the best shooting publication I've ever encountered in over 55 years of reading shooting publications. I'm deeply saddened that it's gone.

On the bright side, it will take me a long, long time to start over with Volume 1, Issue 1 and work my way through them again.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
One of my favorite articles (don't remember the year) was the one where Seyfried used an ancient Purdey .50 Cal Pinfire double rifle to kill a massive whitetail....think it was called 'The Pinfire Buck". His methods for crafting ammunition for some of these antiques is brilliant.

R
RPK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I truly am going miss reading Ross.

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
I subscribed for decades but I hit my breaking point in 2015 when it went over $10 an issue/$40 per year. That was as high as a cheapskate like me could go.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by RPK

As far as I know DGJ was the only magazine Ross wrote for over the last decade or more. It would seem to be a good idea for him (or somebody else) to publish book-collections of his articles, especially books on certain subjects, such as shotguns or rifles.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Sad, but I guess not surprising. I too, have every issue from volume 1, number 1, to now.
As a note to John B., I also have all of Game Country. Anyone remember that?
I have seen a steep decline in double gun interest for some time. Everyone wants the latest tactical whiz bang and not a Winchester 21 or a Parker.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Darn shame. Learned a lot about double guns over the years reading the excellent writers that were featured in DGJ over the years.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Sorry to hear this.

I've enjoyed the DGJ, think it's one of the highest quality publications of his kind. The binding, paper, etc. were all first class.

Check out the Winter 2013 issue, pg 91, article by Walt Snyder concerning Major Charles Askins, Sr's, Ithaca Flues Model, Gr 4 ejector gun.

I ended up with The Major's 1933 Superposed, did a lot of research on the Askins clan and that gun, published a lot of info on the Shotgunworld site: www.shotgunworld.com/threads/1933-superposed.124719/.

During that time, I was in contact with Bill Askins in San Antonio, the Col's son, Major's grandson. Bill eventually offered me this Ithaca, but I thought it belonged with someone qualified to publish an article, so I put Bill in touch with Walt, who IMO is the preeminent Ithaca scholar. He's written books on the subject, has the original New York Ithaca factory records. Walt bought the Ithaca from Bill, which is better than it languishing in the back of my gun safe.

The Major's Superposed was recently passed onto someone qualified, like Walt, to do a DGJ article on that gun. Well, now I guess it won't happen. Sad.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I only read it occasionally and haven’t seen it in years but I’m sad to see it gone. It filled a cool niche with great photography and cool guns. I’ve mentioned before but Ross was my favorite author going to back to when I was kid.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by RPK

As far as I know DGJ was the only magazine Ross wrote for over the last decade or more. It would seem to be a good idea for him (or somebody else) to publish book-collections of his articles, especially books on certain subjects, such as shotguns or rifles.

Indeed.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RPK

Such a distillation would be a real gem

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Sad news!

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the early 90's I worked at a printing plant in Midland, MI and we printed the DGJ for a while. It was a laborious publication with all of its metallic inks (mostly page borders), PMS inks (Pantone Matching System, non-standard colors) and many layered film layouts.

It was always a treat for a gun nut like me to get to work on this publication because we were not only expected to do our part in production, but also to be part of the proofing system, meaning we were encouraged to read the magazines we worked on, and I was always eager to do my part on DGJ, and also VHA (Varmint Hunters Association), which we also produced for a while.

I'm sad to see it go, but with being aware of all that went into such a publication, I'm not surprised to read that costs eventually ate the passion.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RPK

Super idea.

It has been a great publication.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
One of my favorite articles (don't remember the year) was the one where Seyfried used an ancient Purdey .50 Cal Pinfire double rifle to kill a massive whitetail....think it was called 'The Pinfire Buck". His methods for crafting ammunition for some of these antiques is brilliant.

I remember an article where he acquired a Westley-Richards Fauneta, a SxS in 20ga (smooth bore with rifled choke) and fabricated new cone-shaped slug ammunition for it in his home shop that would regulate in both barrels at 50 yards. I can only imagine the hours he invested in that project.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

626 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 79 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,309
Posts18,449,150
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.