Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
How about some input as to quality of the new production M700's? Specifically the new SPS (6.5 CM).

Looking for overall quality as well as accuracy.

Thanks in advance.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I haven’t seen a new one but I have a Rem 700 SPS AAC chambered in 6.5 CM with 22” threaded barrel. I bought it 3-4 years so not exactly at the peak of Remington quality. I replaced the trigger group and put it in a Grayboe Renegade stock bought from Red Hawk that included bottom metal. It’s easily the most accurate rifle that I own. It averaged sub 0.5 MOA 5 shot groups out to 300 yards with the first and only factory ammo that I shot in it. The old Hornady American Gunner 140 grain A-Max load. I haven’t seen an improvement with handloads but that’s about as well as I can shoot.

The rifle has the Remington budget finish but it suits that rifle and “tactical look” IMO, the bolt pull isn’t butter smooth, the factory Hogue stock looked cheap and was rumored to have a lot of flex but I replaced the stock before shooting it. It looks good and shoots lights out in the Grayboe stock. Remingtons almost always shoot. It was only about $550 at the time that I bought it. I’d think that the ones under new ownership should shoot. Remington 700’s aren’t exactly new or mysterious technology.

The worst shooting Rem 700 that I have is a similar model (I forget exactly which) with the same barrel profile a 20” threaded barrel, chambered in .223 that I bought used about 6-7 years ago mostly for my kids to practice at the range with. It averages a little over 1.25” groups at 100 yards with loads that it likes and seems to like 68 grain bullets best and to be a little bit finicky. I haven’t done much with load development and I’m sure that a better stock would help.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I handled several and cycled the action on them, at Scheels store. Seemed like a decent rifle with a Tupperware stock.

NRA Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by murkydismal
How about some input as to quality of the new production M700's? Specifically the new SPS (6.5 CM).

Thanks in advance.

I keep trying to get the site owner to create a "rifles" sub-forum to give people a place to talk about rifles.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Thanks in advance.

I keep trying to get the site owner to create a "rifles" sub-forum to give people a place to talk about rifles.

Simply pass over it and it would fall to the bottom quickly.

That being said, I have no experience with the current Remingtons. Have a few of the last batch that were supposedly troubled. The three of them shoot excellent and have been trouble free.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I bought one and bolted it into a B&C ADL stock. Pretty decent rifle.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Thanks in advance.

laugh laugh laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
My riflesmith Bud told me that the current 700 actions he's barreled have been surprisingly true with very little runout. I don't think I need anymore rifles, but wish them all the best at selling all the new Rems they can make.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dale06
I handled several and cycled the action on them, at Scheels store. Seemed like a decent rifle with a Tupperware stock.

My thoughts as well.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Thanks in advance.

There’s that book of sarcasm. smile

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It couldn't go much farther down hill than the former ones before the bankruptcy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Thanks in advance.

None of my ex wives ever developed an appreciation for my sarcasm.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
My stainless 308 Package Rifle shot sub MOA with cheap factory ammo. I like it well enough that I had the barrel cut to 22" and put it into a B&C BDL stock like this. My gunsmith sold me the bottom metal just before it became unobtainable. He also said that the chamber was bigger than a standard 308 chamber, and was probably a 7.62 NATO chamber.

Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
I bought one and bolted it into a B&C ADL stock. Pretty decent rifle.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by gunzo
My riflesmith Bud told me that the current 700 actions he's barreled have been surprisingly true with very little runout.

That's what my gunsmith said. It's still consistently sub-MOA with a number of loads, but they're different loads than what it shot well when the barrel was 24" long.

I agree that Remington figured out the 700 a long time ago.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W

Thanks in advance.

I know what you mean.

I've been hoping for one that lets the OP pick their own topic for discussion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Thanks in advance.

None of my ex wives ever developed an appreciation for my sarcasm.

And here we all thought it was due to your lack of a penis.

🤦‍♀️😝🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The receivers are the best that they have produced. They are machined by CNC instead of several operations on manual machines. Where they missed the boat was on primary extraction and bolt timing. I will not shoot a rifle that requires you to hammer the bolt open. I'm glad I've had a long relationship with Dan Armstrong,Dans40X. http://accu-tig.com/

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I bought my 700 in 30-06 in 1990 and have never had to hammer the bolt open. Excellent shooter. I did put a B&C stock on it, don't like shiny wood. Don't know a thing about the new one's except what I read here.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by okie john
He also said that the chamber was bigger than a standard 308 chamber, and was probably a 7.62 NATO chamber.

Bigger where?

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I have had three of the new ones. Lugs bear evenly, smooth action, bolt timing perfect on the ones I have experience with.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
When you say new, do you mean post most recent bankruptcy and selling of assets?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 222ND, 76 invisible), 2,793 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.