Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Anyone have one of these? I'm interested in your overall opinions, quality, accuracy, etc.

Did you choose to mount a scope? Are you able to get a good cheek weld?

Any info from owners appreciated.

BP-B2

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
I think it was Craig Bodington that wrote an article about wringing one out. Not sure what magazine it was in. If I can find it, I'll pass it along. He seemed to like it!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Just googled this rifle, for some reason the 303 British caliber seems so cool in a single shot

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Someone here bought one a while back. You could search for that thread and ask him.

I like the looks, but alas have too many rifles already………….

and not a single .303 component or loading gizmo.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Someone here bought one a while back. You could search for that thread and ask him.

I like the looks, but alas have too many rifles already………….

and not a single .303 component or loading gizmo.

I liked the look too. I sent a letter to them requesting more information. They never answered.

These days, if I wanted a 303, I would be inclined to put a 308 barrel on it and make it a 30-303. .311 bullets are very hard to find! Especially given the events of the past two years or so.

A 30-303 uses easy to find 308 bullets and 303 brass. Someone on another thread mentioned a 30-40, but try to find the brass!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Both the 303 and 30-40 will kill anything in the lower 48 with a 220 grain cast bullet.

A Highwall or No. 1 is no fun to shoot in either will full house loads.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
but try to find the brass!

Yup. Ran into a very nice Rem 141 about a week ago, at a nice price. Had the money in my pocket, but Reason prevailed. Good thing, because I checked around and found not a single source for .35 ammo or brass. Took a quick look yesterday for ordinary .30 bullets, and ones for hunting are very limited. Good thing this old Boomer-Hoarder has a pile, though not the RNs I was looking for.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'd like one in 7x57 and have told Uberti through their contact us page a few times. So far, they have not called asking for my credit card number, even though I have offered it up for pre-ordering. smile

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Traditional High Walls don't work well with rimless. There is a 7X57R that would work fine.

Paranoia strikes deep
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by UpThePole
Both the 303 and 30-40 will kill anything in the lower 48 with a 220 grain cast bullet.

A Highwall or No. 1 is no fun to shoot in either will full house loads.

I question this. What gun are you shooting? Many hi walls offered for sale to day have the curved butt plate and straight grip or one of the two evil feature. That is not good. I have the BPCR version which has flat butt plate and grip design but also a heavy barrel. Kinda Apples to oranges. I also have a limited edition medium 28" round barrel '85 with pistol grip and shotgun style butt plate. Both are very easy shooters with max BP loads and 500 gr bullets. Looking at the Courtney, it really should be fine on recoil with in a great over all handling package. Good rubber butt plate and pistol grip. If I were buying one, it would be a 45/70. That is where the fun is for me. But, I already have two repro 85's, both in 45/70, that puts me in the same boat as Pappy. I handled a Courtney in the gun shop. I was impressed.

Maybe a 405 Win or more a British flavor might be a 450/400? Probably not in my budget in any caliber. Post Covid, my dollars just not covering life the way they used too. If I was still working the Miruko 1895 in 405 would be tempting with a companion in an 85. Not an option. Miruko is scheduled to do a '95 in 405 (again) this year (2022). The worthless paper dollar is killing me though.

Speaking of 450/400 I have that in a No1. It kicks but; nothing like a 458 that will really slap you around hard. That includes sitting on the bench, which is worse case. The muzzle rises you roll back a bit. Not the punishment one might expect. I know it is all subjective. The Courtney should be just fine with any load. My 8c adjusted for Covid.

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Pappy348
but try to find the brass!

Yup. Ran into a very nice Rem 141 about a week ago, at a nice price. Had the money in my pocket, but Reason prevailed. Good thing, because I checked around and found not a single source for .35 ammo or brass. Took a quick look yesterday for ordinary .30 bullets, and ones for hunting are very limited. Good thing this old Boomer-Hoarder has a pile, though not the RNs I was looking for.

It might be time for people to re-examine older cartridges. Around here, it is easy to find new 7.62x54r and 303 British cases for reloading. 7.62x39 as well. Powder and primers are still a problem, Bullets are getting slightly easier to find.

As I posted earlier, for single shots, a 7.62x54r or 303 British with a 308 barrel would be great. Of course, component availability changes depending on where you live.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Traditional High Walls don't work well with rimless. There is a 7X57R that would work fine.

What’s up with all the modern Winchesters in non rimmed cartridges? Is it modern adaptation of the 1885 design that allows it? (Asking out of ignorance here)

And since a 7x57 is cool, a 7x57R has to be more cooler right? smile

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Dunno about that. My Browning B78 handles 30-06 ammo just fine. I have a small collection of Ruger #1 rifles in the various configurations. Only two are rimmed cartridges and one cartridge is actually rebated. The rest are just are plain old rimless common mill of the run cartridges and they have been 100 percent reliable.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Your Browning is not a traditional Winchester design Highwall

The extraction system is different using a moving spring loaded extractor.

Winchester Highwalls have a manual extractor that sits behind the rim and levers out the cartridge.

http://www.wyomingarmory.com/gun-parts.html

I had one of these in 300 H&H that never worked. I converted it to 300 H&H Flanged (rimmed) and it worked better but still was hard to extract a high pressure cartridge.

That's why the Browning (and the Ruger) have springs.

I have never seen a 100% original Winchester Highwall chambered for a rimless cartridge.

Paranoia strikes deep
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Your Browning is not a traditional Winchester design Highwall

The extraction system is different using a moving spring loaded extractor.

Winchester Highwalls have a manual extractor that sits behind the rim and levers out the cartridge.

http://www.wyomingarmory.com/gun-parts.html

I had one of these in 300 H&H that never worked. I converted it to 300 H&H Flanged (rimmed) and it worked better but still was hard to extract a high pressure cartridge.

That's why the Browning (and the Ruger) have springs.

I have never seen a 100% original Winchester Highwall chambered for a rimless cartridge.

Are you familiar with the Uberti 1885 and if so; how accurate a replica is this?

The current Winchester is a whole new design. It should really be given a new name like 1885A.

Last edited by fourbore; 08/08/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A pretty clever design, for low-power stuff anyway. You’ll never get a case wedged under it. How strong it is I can’t say.

What fresh Hell is this?
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The new Miruko design maybe clever. But; they dont even have any screws. And the BPCR (ie black powder cartridge rifle) came with a warning not to dis-assemble for cleaning. I do see screws on the side of the Uberti. It maybe have been easier for Uberti to simply copy a real Winchester than try and make it better? I read some reviews. As usual, all review are100% positive while saying as little as possible in the way of real information.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a couple of new-ish ones, and they have been pretty easy to keep fed. The others are moldy old .223s, .308s, .270s, etc. and I’m fat with stuff for them.

Sold 300 new .243 cases today locally to a guy who was damn glad to get them. He just built an AR10 and knows there’s gonna be a lot of brass carnage with that one.

I look around a lot and pick up stuff where I can. Learned my lesson a shortage or two ago.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
I would prefer one in 30-30win or 30-40 krag (that would be amazing), but 303 is pretty cool.

I just love the look. I'd keep it open sights.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 08/08/22.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by fourbore
The new Miruko design maybe clever. But; they dont even have any screws. And the BPCR (ie black powder cartridge rifle) came with a warning not to dis-assemble for cleaning. I do see screws on the side of the Uberti. It maybe have been easier for Uberti to simply copy a real Winchester than try and make it better? I read some reviews. As usual, all review are100% positive while saying as little as possible in the way of real information.

I took a Browning BPCR apart and the warning is well deserved.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
636 members (257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,945 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,661
Posts18,399,311
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.