Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#17492601 08/07/22
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Several threads in the past on this very subject,

If your going on a guided hunt, and your being guided by the owner of the Company,

Does that fact affect how you tip?

And yes I know, Loaded question with no real right or wrong.

BP-B2

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Don’t be so shy,

I did say, no real right or wrong.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I tipped the same the one instance my guide was the owner.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It wouldn’t have an effect on the amount I tip.

I do prefer to book with operations in which the guide is also the owner, and is also whom you book through. I have had better experiences with those smaller operations vs bigger outfitters who hire multiple guides, a booking agent, etc.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Guess I'm the worst because I've never understood why a person should tip or be compelled to tip for an agreed service. If an person wants to than go for it but I don't understand and never will. Tip the dentist? The doctor? Your unity company? How bout your mechanic or the cashier ringing up the groceries? Where does it end.

Do you get tipped for work you do for every client? Why is it in the guided hunting industry are tips looked upon as an mandatory transaction?

Enough of my spew.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Guess I'm the worst because I've never understood why a person should tip or be compelled to tip for an agreed service. If an person wants to than go for it but I don't understand and never will. Tip the dentist? The doctor? Your unity company? How bout your mechanic or the cashier ringing up the groceries? Where does it end.

Do you get tipped for work you do for every client? Why is it in the guided hunting industry are tips looked upon as an mandatory transaction?

Enough of my spew.

I've had clients like you, they are the worst kind. Usually they make themselves known shortly after meeting them, it's their personality and they can't hide it. They mock the concept of tipping because they are cheapskates but want to save face, or try to. Everyone sees through them though and they just look douchey.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Enough of my spew.

I agree.
Starting with the definition of a tip as something extra big in for exceptional service.

Daughter was a waitress in high school.
I was floored by how much money she was making for a few hours work.
Tipping has become a cross between virtue signalling and a braggy, dick measuring contest.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Do you get tipped for work you do for every client?

I do work in the service industry and no I don’t get tipped by every client,

I’d say 95% don’t tip, It’s positively a different mind set.

And then Europeans, Lots of rumors there.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I'll tip a guide that works for an outfitter, if I feel he gave his all.
If my guide is the owner of the outfit with whom I already negotiated a price, I feel no obligation to tip...though I may still do so, depending on my experience.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Enough of my spew.

I agree.
Starting with the definition of a tip as something extra big in for exceptional service.

Tipping has become a cross between virtue signalling and a braggy, dick measuring contest.

I waited tables through schoolso my thinking may be a little different. I look at a tip as just commission pay, person provides service and customer gets to decide what it’s worth and pay directly. Bad service bad pay,good service good pay. Most jobs that get tips have that factored into what the employee it is paying which is greatly reduced than If it wasn’t customary to pay tips.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Some folks shake your hand and say thanks. No big deal.

I put money in your hand and say thanks. You know I mean it because 'money' has a cost!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Here’s my take, if I’m forced to hunt with an outfitter I’ll usually tip. But everyone knows that outfitters are crooks and what’s wrong with hunting, just corporate type greed making money off of wildlife that we all own, even if I live across the country. I usually book with the cheapest outfitter I can find because he doesn’t over pay his guides. I make it known upfront that I believe all guides are lazy crooks and I’m getting robbed but I expect a world class hunt. I never tip more than 5% than the hunt price . And that’s where it starts and goes down from there, same as at a restaurant. I mean come on, how hard is it to fill my water and bring my food or find a 400” bull or 200” deer? And let’s face it, we all can out hike, out glass and overallout hunt these phonies. Like I said it starts there and goes down. I expect quite a bit out of my guide. Here’s just some of my criteria
Pickup older than 3 years old-deduction
Not a full size pickup with the biggest cab-deduction
Full time guide- deduction. He should do it for the love of the game not money and should question his life choices
Part time guide-deduction, his heart’s not in it and probably makes enough money at his regular job.
Doesn’t have alpha glass-deduction he’s an amateur.
If he has the latest Gen of Alpha glass-deduction, again makes too much money.
Mis-matched camo deduction. Two different patterns probably cost me an animal
If he doesn’t answer every question immediately about all wildlife related subjects or know the scientific name of every plant-deduction.
If he doesn’t carry my water or pack or toilet paper or bags to and from lodge-deduction
If he gets lucky and out walks me-deduction
I’m in it for the experience, the experience of killing a trophy preferably on the first day because a good guide would have been scouting for weeks on his own dime and have a client an animal already picked out. If not-deduction.
If the guide doesn’t set me up perfectly, arrange my rest or provide shooting sticks to make my shot as easy as it be-deduction.
If he gets irritated at me questioning all of his plans, stalks, trophy assessment or my sighs of disapproval-BIG deduction! This is my hunt and we should do what and how I want!
I don’t always tip money. Sometimes I like to tip Chinese made knives especially if has a custom. I expect swag from the outfitter, caps jackets and other stuff with his logo. I like to tip with caps from my business so I can get free advertising. If there’s a piece of equipment that I brought and used but don’t like or it fails I usually give it to the guide. It’s the thought that counts.
That’s just a small look into how I do it.
YMMV

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NMpistolero
Here’s my take, if I’m forced to hunt with an outfitter I’ll usually tip. But everyone knows that outfitters are crooks and what’s wrong with hunting, just corporate type greed making money off of wildlife that we all own, even if I live across the country. I usually book with the cheapest outfitter I can find because he doesn’t over pay his guides. I make it known upfront that I believe all guides are lazy crooks and I’m getting robbed but I expect a world class hunt. I never tip more than 5% than the hunt price . And that’s where it starts and goes down from there, same as at a restaurant. I mean come on, how hard is it to fill my water and bring my food or find a 400” bull or 200” deer? And let’s face it, we all can out hike, out glass and overallout hunt these phonies. Like I said it starts there and goes down. I expect quite a bit out of my guide. Here’s just some of my criteria
Full time guide- deduction. He should do it for the love of the game not money and should question his life choices
Part time guide-deduction, his heart’s not in it and probably makes enough money at his regular job.
If he doesn’t answer every question immediately about all wildlife related subjects or know the scientific name of every plant-deduction.
If he doesn’t carry my water or pack or toilet paper or bags to and from lodge-deduction
I’m in it for the experience, the experience of killing a trophy preferably on the first day because a good guide would have been scouting for weeks on his own dime and have a client an animal already picked out. If not-deduction.
If the guide doesn’t set me up perfectly, arrange my rest or provide shooting sticks to make my shot as easy as it be-deduction.
If he gets irritated at me questioning all of his plans, stalks, trophy assessment or my sighs of disapproval-BIG deduction! This is my hunt and we should do what and how I want!
I don’t always tip money. Sometimes I like to tip Chinese made knives especially if has a custom. I expect swag from the outfitter, caps jackets and other stuff with his logo. I like to tip with caps from my business so I can get free advertising. If there’s a piece of equipment that I brought and used but don’t like or it fails I usually give it to the guide. It’s the thought that counts.
YMMV
Now THAT is funny. You were kidding right?
FWIW I tip for extraordinary service from a hunting outfit/guide and have only been disappointed once.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kellywk
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Enough of my spew.

I agree.

I waited tables through schoolso my thinking may be a little different. I look at a tip as just commission pay, person provides service and customer gets to decide what it’s worth and pay directly. Bad service bad pay,good service good pay. Most jobs that get tips have that factored into what the employee it is paying which is greatly reduced than If it wasn’t customary to pay tips.

Remember when 10% was a good tip?
Hasn't been too long ago. 15, then 20.
Now, some receipts tell you how much the tip is for percents up to
or beyond 25%. I have had folks tell me they tip 15-20 always.
Even bad service. "Maybe they had a bad day!"

WTF?

"They work for tips"

Damn right they should work for tips.
Reluctantly taking my order, not checking, needing to ask for refills
ain't earning tips.
Never leaving me wanting anything, or,
running their butt off trying like heck to keep up is.
And should be rewarded.

Why would a lazy waiter put out any effort if they are getting 15%
doing nothing?

Tipping has become a mockery, especially since Covid.

See the video of the Vegas smoke shop owner stabbing the robber?
They started by taking his tip jar.

A tip jar, in a smoke shop!
For the owner?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you were going on a guided hunt and when you got there there wasnt enough trucks for everyone so you ended up driving your own truck the whole hunt and the licensed guides went with the other hunters who went with them in their trucks and your “guides couldn’t let you ride with them because they weren’t licensed so you had to follow in your truck and never really got any benefit from the guides other than field dressing your game. Everyone paid the same price for the hunt.
Would you have tipped?

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
To answer the OP, no. I have done it a number of times.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Good stuff.😂

YMMV

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
YMMV

That's book material right there. Or at least a magazine article.

Side note - hunted out your way last December in the Jics and Sacramentos. I love that country!

He went over yonder way
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Great thread.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Never been in a position to take a guided hunt but don’t believe it would affect how I tip at the end.

It ain’t easy
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
169 members (444Matt, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 24 invisible), 1,997 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.