Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Mule Deer

I just watched the video Mike V. made on the 1917 and the 1903 Rifles. I liked his comments. I've had quite a few 1903's and 03A3's and I share Mike's opinion on how nice the 1903's are. Unfortunately, I had to sell a half a dozen of them to help funding when I went back to school. I also have had 1914's and 1917's. I also liked them too.

If you talk to Mike, tell him that his video was appreciated, please.

Some people like the Mausers more than "Springfield's" and I have had and still own a few. But give me a 1903 any day over 99% of the Mausers. Very few people feel the need to re-barrel a 1903 after all.

Bugger

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
BP-B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've got them all and prefer a proper Mauser all day. I do have an 1917 from my great uncle Elmer and it is an outstanding shooting rifle but I still prefer the Mauser.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Whether you care to admit or not, if you have an '03 or a '17...the Mauser is the parent.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm partial to the Springfield too, but please make it a pre-war '03 not an 03A3. The crudity of an 03A3 and extensive use of stampings has always been off-putting. I always found 1917's to be on the clunky side in full military trim, and never felt they made up into svelte sporters even after extensive modifications. Just my opinion. M98 Mausers are great, and I've owned a bunch and still do, but I strictly view them for their utility in building nifty sporters - sorry, but I don't venerate them as historic artifacts since they're other country's heritage. Once a war trophy always a war trophy. In the end, a M1903 Springfield trumps them all.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 08/07/22.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bugger,

Will definitely forward your thanks to Mike next time I talked to him!

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It would be nice if a link had been posted for the benefit of those who are not all that computer savvy.

With that gripe out of the way, I have a 1903A3 and a 1917 That some idiot really buggered the hell out of it. The cost to clean it up makes it something to hide in shame. Maybe I'll try to do something myself sometime down the road.

I've had original 03s and while they're nice I really have to go with the 98 Mauser to call it good. All my serious hunting rifles are based on military and commercial Mauser actions.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I always loved the issue M1917. However I have never been able to get one for myself that had a good bore. I bet I have worked on 30 of them, making custom rifles out of the actions, and I have re-barreled 2 originals to bring them back to "near new condition".

Of all the 30-06 bolt rifles ever made I think the old "17" is my favorite. That includes sporting rifles too. I had a nice 1948 Winchester M70 and it was a gem, but still if I could name one bolt action 30-06 to have, it would be a 1917 or maybe a Remington M 30

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Yeah, I have a Remington M30 Express that is my gold standard when testing .30-06 loads and bullets. Those old boys knew how to cut rifle a chrome moly barrel. And the stock dimensions? Imagine Melania Trump vs Rosie O'donnell.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Got a sweet 03 made in 1918. Correct stock, original barrel. She’s good for inch, inch and a half groups with 155 grain Palma Match bullets from Sierra. It does bug me, however, that it has a Remington bolt…otherwise correct. Finding a correctly headspaced Springfield bolt is one of those “maybe one day” tasks in the back of my head.

Might take a deer with it this fall for kicks.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PJGunner
It would be nice if a link had been posted for the benefit of those who are not all that computer savvy.

PJ

I must have deleted the link, sorry.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by PJGunner

With that gripe out of the way, I have a 1903A3 and a 1917 That some idiot really buggered the hell out of it. The cost to clean it up makes it something to hide in shame. Maybe I'll try to do something myself sometime down the road.

I've had original 03s and while they're nice I really have to go with the 98 Mauser to call it good. All my serious hunting rifles are based on military and commercial Mauser actions.
PJ

I've seen so many m1917's butchered by bubba smiths. You used to see them all the time on used gun racks. I always looked at them because that is what I grew up with. Of course, they are on the heavy side. You will never turn one in to a "featherweight" rifle. One of the nicest ones I've seen was an original Weatherby. He used to use mausers and the like for his first builds. Anyway, that was the sweetest m1917 I've ever handled. Another one I really like, because they are done right at the factory, is the BSA model D and E. I've had both and they are outstanding. Their machine work is second to none for back in the day. They used excellent barrels, that somewhat mimic the old pre 64 model 70. Here's a Model D and it was a sub moa shooter:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
That rifle was ever bit as slick as a pre 64 model 70 and shot just as well, if not better.. One of my other favorite m1917 rifles has also been sporterized, and wears a left hand stock. I pack it around more than most of my others, until my arms get tired, then it's a switch to my Tikka's..:
I can go on and on about the M1917, as that is what I started out with and that is something I'll always hang on to. My BSA model E is a sweet rifle, but I had it rechambered to 308 Norma:

The smith that did the rechamber for me said since I didn't leave the scope on, he had to test accuracy with the iron sights. He said he was pretty happy with it after shooting a 3 shot 3/4" group at 75 yards. I'm also very happy with the cartridge and rifle, a sweet combo:
Almost a perfect union, but don't expect any m1917 to be "svelte"..

Originally Posted by szihn
I always loved the issue M1917. However I have never been able to get one for myself that had a good bore. I bet I have worked on 30 of them, making custom rifles out of the actions, and I have re-barreled 2 originals to bring them back to "near new condition".

Of all the 30-06 bolt rifles ever made I think the old "17" is my favorite. That includes sporting rifles too. I had a nice 1948 Winchester M70 and it was a gem, but still if I could name one bolt action 30-06 to have, it would be a 1917 or maybe a Remington M 30

Now, that is cool. szihn, keep an eye out for a good BSA. They did them right...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Nothing like a well made custom 1903, but you seldom see them anymore. 1917 is a tank, but does the job. I saw a 1917 that had been rebarreled to 223 REM several years ago, it wasnt pretty........

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I bubba’d a 1917 once. I attempted to change the firing pin speed and cock on closing. It required a modification to the bolt ramp. I ground too much off the bolt ramp and had to buy another bolt.

My first deer rifle was a “customized” 1903 - I considered my 6 mm a varmint rifle. I have always had a fondness for the 03, probably partly because of that rifle.

I have a Mauser 98 in 7x57. Every Mauser I’ve ever had up to this one was rebarreled. Every Springfield and every 1914 or 1917 kept the barrels they came with.

I suspect that is a common thing.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I played around with some Mausers but now I wish I would of been introduced to the 1903's years ago. I have 2 and I see no reason to spend any more money on a Mauser.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Jericho
Nothing like a well made custom 1903, but you seldom see them anymore. 1917 is a tank, but does the job. I saw a 1917 that had been rebarreled to 223 REM several years ago, it wasnt pretty........
Talk about a bubba'ed 1917 that ain't pretty...I think I may have the king of all time! Old fellow was walking through the gun show carrying an old, tattered rifle case and I asked to see what was in it. He pulled this thing out and it was one of those train wrecks that you just couldn't take your eyes off. I asked if he really wanted to sell a family heirloom like that and he said it was OK because "it was from a side of the family he didn't care for". I got it for $125.

At some point in it's life someone put a lot of work into it. All the extraneous metal on the action was milled off it to the point that I first wondered if it was a Remington M30. A Weaver 330 M8 was mounted to it using Stith mounts and a 1903(!) stock was modified and fit to it. Every bit of the bluing has faded to a patina. The Weaver was so foggy that you could barely see through it, but my first session shooting it showed the scope zero to be w/i 2" of POA.

I guess I am just attracted to abortions like this (I own several) so I sent the Weaver off to be cleaned and have the internals checked out. Didn't do anything to its externals because I wanted the package to keep its 'original' finish. The rifle turned out to be a shooter, easily staying w/i spitting distance of MOA. So far, the only thing that has offered itself up while carrying it was an armadillo. You'd be surprised what a 220 gr Hornady RN will do to one!

Scope before and after being refurbished:

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Stuff like that does have a certain charm!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I an 03 fan all of my 03's and 03A3's were bubba sportered before I bought them and my 1917 also. Last one was made into a 22-250 single shot. Also have an A3 in 308 Norma mag ,another in 300 win mag. All the rest in 30-06, oh and 1 in 30-06 Ackely improved. Bottom metal on all the A3 have been replaced with 03 bottom metal. Some have oem triggers and a few timneys. Some iron sight equipped and some scoped. Not wealthy at all but rich in springfieds they are the tits....mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have very very seldom encountered a nicely done 1917 sporter, most were either hacked up half done 30/06s or non feeding and functioning magnums of some type. Me theory is that they were cheaper than 1903s so the cheap asses bought them and also cheaped out on the conversions.

With that said the later production Remington M30s with the redesigned stock are some pretty snazzy rifles. I have a very nice 30/06 and I kick myself for leaving it’s 257 Roberts brother behind. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I’d even go so far as to say for iron sight use I prefer it over any pre64 M70.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Looking good Kid, what loads you using?... mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
In the interest of keeping the nearly irreplaceable stock intact and due to the steel buttplate I feed it exclusively mildly loaded 150s Bob. Keeps recoil down and kills things I hunt with it just fine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
774 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 79 invisible), 3,063 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,715
Posts18,400,368
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.