Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've used the 139 gr .284 GMX for many years and it's always been one of the most effective killing rounds I've ever used. Maybe it was just that my 7-08 loves the round, but the animals also would drop like a rock. I wish they'd stop trying to fix things that work.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hesp
It has been my experience that higher BC long range bullets are harder to get to shoot accurately. My Barnes 6.5 120gr TSX/TTSx, excellent accuracy. Try the 6.5 127 LRX & accuracy is dismal. Same results with Nosler . Great accuracy with their 6.5 140 gr AB bullet, but terrible results with their 142gr LRAB. Have had similar results with other so called long range bullets. It appears there is less surface contact between the bullet & the rifling.. Which results in less stability.

That's certainly not been my experience.

The bearing surface doesn't directly impact stability.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bumping this to see if anyone has gotten their hands on these yet. Terminal performance of the GMXs I tried looked great, but they wouldn't group for anything in any of my rifles.

P
Puddle Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I tried a box each of the Outfitter and Superformance GMX in 6.5 CM. My barrel wanted that bullet going as fast as possible. Groups tightened considerably going from the Outfitter to the Superformance versions.

I'll buy 1 box of the CX Superformance variety when available and see what gives...

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
It has been my experience that higher BC long range bullets are harder to get to shoot accurately. My Barnes 6.5 120gr TSX/TTSx, excellent accuracy. Try the 6.5 127 LRX & accuracy is dismal. Same results with Nosler . Great accuracy with their 6.5 140 gr AB bullet, but terrible results with their 142gr LRAB. Have had similar results with other so called long range bullets. It appears there is less surface contact between the bullet & the rifling.. Which results in less stability.

sounds like he needs to upgrade to a faster twist barrel and a faster 6.5mm cartridge

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why even shot either when you can shoot the TTSX or LRX?

You ain't about that life.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Bullet length impacts stability. The longer the bullet the faster the twist rate needs to be.

Last edited by jwp475; 01/09/22.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It amazes me that they keep producing new stuff, when they cannot even keep the shelves stocked with the standards.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475

Bullet length impacts stability. The longer the bullet the faster the twist rate needs to be.

Well, yeah. But we’re not talking about bullet OAL, rather the length of the bearing surface, on which stability does not directly depend.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

Well, yeah. But we’re not talking about bullet OAL, rather the length of the bearing surface, on which stability does not directly depend.

That's what I said.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

P
Puddle Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by 01Foreman400
Why even shot either when you can shoot the TTSX or LRX?

Oh, that is so yesterday. The CX is shiny and new...

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by sbhooper
It amazes me that they keep producing new stuff, when they cannot even keep the shelves stocked with the standards.

This was my first thought when I saw the announcement

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hate to drag up an old thread, but.. does anyone have any update on the CX? Now that they’re available as components?
My initial tests of the 80 gr 6mm in my 6x6.8 weren’t great. @ double the group size it gets with the same weight ttsx.
Plan to do some more testing with diff ent seating and maybe some crimping (much as I hate to). This rifle is extremely accurate with target bullets always .5” or less and ttsx @.75
I see they’re on sale a few places. Maybe folks aren’t buying due to a new product or not happy with the performance.
I was hoping to get a mono bullet that expands a little faster in this lower velocity caliber.
Thanks for any input.

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/
M
M
Originally Posted by brayhaven
Hate to drag up an old thread, but.. does anyone have any update on the CX? Now that they’re available as components?
My initial tests of the 80 gr 6mm in my 6x6.8 weren’t great. @ double the group size it gets with the same weight ttsx.
Plan to do some more testing with diff ent seating and maybe some crimping (much as I hate to). This rifle is extremely accurate with target bullets always .5” or less and ttsx @.75
I see they’re on sale a few places. Maybe folks aren’t buying due to a new product or not happy with the performance.
I was hoping to get a mono bullet that expands a little faster in this lower velocity caliber.
Thanks for any input.

I’m about to load up so 80 grain cx in 243 win here soon as well as some ttsx it’s for an old savage 99 so not sure how accurate it will be but what I’ve seen on some videos online from frontline rejects shooting it in 6mm ARC it seems to do well on expansion at lower velocity they did note some issues shooting the cx in 308 caliber having an issue of fragmenting but mind you they were pushin that 110grn bullet 3400+ fps out the muzzle obviously the bullet wasn’t designed for that speed. Look them up and watch their test now they are shooting into water so take it with a grain of salt but to see their results is nice to get a good ideal of how fast to push them for reliable terminal performance on game. As far as accuracy remember they are for hunting so 1 or 2 minutes of deer is probably their target accuracy for the projectile just food for thought 💭

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks for the reply. I’d be interested in your results, though the old 99 isn’t a bench rest gun ime.
These should shoot as well as the TTSX, though I don’t expect em to shoot like target bullets.
This 6x6.8 is exceptionally accurate, but I need to work on the CX loads some more.
I’ll see if I can find those tests.

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I bought some 7mm 150 grain CX and some 165 grain .30 cal CX bullets.

Managed to work up a decent 165 grain 30-06 load at about 2800 fps with a bit over MOA accuracy from my Rem 700.

Also worked up a warm load with the 150 from my 7mm Rem Mag, Ruger Number One rifle. Accuracy was again, a bit over MOA.

When I was working up the loads, I ran into pressure signs at lower charge weights than when working with conventional lead-core bullets. Had to hunt around a little for accuracy, but I got to a reasonable level for me, and my hunting rifles.

The CX bullets sure are tough! I put some into clear ballistic gel blocks at short range, at 2800 and 3200 fps. Wow... They sure don't fly apart. Penetration was excellent. Hornady recommends an impact velocity of at least 2,000 fps. I haven't shot any at low velocities, but from the photos Hornady has shown, it doesn't look like much expansion at 2,000 fps.

This photo is mine, with the 7mm, 150 grain CX bullets recovered from the ballistics gel. Muzzle velocity was 3200 fps for the left bullet and 2800 fps for the expanded bullet on the right.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'm going to try the 150 gr CX this year for hunting. We shall see.

Regards, Guy

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great pictures Guy…. Sure look like they will go deep!

Semper Fi
M
M
Yeah it ain’t a bench gun for sure I’m expecting 1-2 Moa at 100 if I’m lucky, but who knows it might surprise me.I’m not going to be pushing them hard either with the gun being 43 years old. most shots I’ll be making won’t go past 150, so velocity isn’t going to be an issue as long as they are moving over 2800 terminal performance should be okay at moderate distance. Now I got an itch to get a new bolt gun in 243 just to see how fast I can push them. As I’m getting older the recoil of the 30 bore just isn’t pleasant to shoot. I rebarreled a duplicate 06 I had to 270win this year and I like the felt recoil better than the 06 so who knows lol

M
M
Originally Posted by Cascade
I bought some 7mm 150 grain CX and some 165 grain .30 cal CX bullets.

Managed to work up a decent 165 grain 30-06 load at about 2800 fps with a bit over MOA accuracy from my Rem 700.

Also worked up a warm load with the 150 from my 7mm Rem Mag, Ruger Number One rifle. Accuracy was again, a bit over MOA.

When I was working up the loads, I ran into pressure signs at lower charge weights than when working with conventional lead-core bullets. Had to hunt around a little for accuracy, but I got to a reasonable level for me, and my hunting rifles.

The CX bullets sure are tough! I put some into clear ballistic gel blocks at short range, at 2800 and 3200 fps. Wow... They sure don't fly apart. Penetration was excellent. Hornady recommends an impact velocity of at least 2,000 fps. I haven't shot any at low velocities, but from the photos Hornady has shown, it doesn't look like much expansion at 2,000 fps.

This photo is mine, with the 7mm, 150 grain CX bullets recovered from the ballistics gel. Muzzle velocity was 3200 fps for the left bullet and 2800 fps for the expanded bullet on the right.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'm going to try the 150 gr CX this year for hunting. We shall see.

Regards, Guy

Nice loading currently. My loading for the 06 165 grn gmx to 2825fps avg with Norma 204 powder 53grains. I tried 55 grains but getting flat primers at that weight so 53 is the winner accuracy was good out of my 111 savage close to 1 moa

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I was wishing to give the 90 GR 6mm CX or a Nossler E-tip a try on this years whitetail. Looks like Nossler will be the easy choice due to no 90 gr CX bullets avaiable yet.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, aaronward9, 18 invisible), 1,760 guests, and 965 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.