Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nope.

Had a small-ish plot fenced in and grew some stuff. Got tired of fighting the weeds. Planted the whole bed in asparagus and done.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
GB2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Getting lots of tomatoes now, they be done by July 4

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Finally planted ours on the weekend - had frost 3 mornings, the first week of the month !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Been canning something every day. Need to plant my third go around on this moon and call it quits till fall.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Picking a bunch of cucumbers and jalapeños

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Wondering where in heck the majority of my carrots are.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Riverc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco
Picking a bunch of cucumbers and jalapeños

Same here we picking more cucumbers than we need giving a bunch to family and friends. Picking a lot of jalapeños grilled a bunch the other day. We also picking a bunch of sweet banana peppers and okra.

Riverc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This hot dry weather is starting to be hard on the garden. Have to use tap water more than the well needed rainwater. Okra, cucumbers, eggplants and poblano, jalapeno and sweet banana peppers still doing ok all other are slowing down. I picked 14 sugar baby watermelons today gonna give a few to family, friends and eat melon everyday till gone.

I'm starting to think about what I wanna plant this fall for sure cabbage, radish, cucumber, zucchini turnip probably plant September and some in October. We really like to make zucchini bread in the fall like it with a bowl of oatmeal with a banana for breakfast.

Riverc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
After a short break it's time to start getting ready for our fall garden. Got most of the weeding done all looking good. We going to plant Cabbage, cucumber, zucchini, radish, potatoes, turnip and carrots. Wife also wants to do green onion, garlic and maybe broccoli will wait till 1st week of September on into October. Looking forward for some zucchini bread and fresh vegetables.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Power company sprayed my raised beds last week 300 ft from the power line on a windy day🙄 after a phone call a check is on the way

IC B3

Riverc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Bummer how hard was the fight to get that check for damage??

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My neighbor rents my crop land, and he is always very good about watching the wind direction when he sprays the fields around my house, and garden. I have blackberry and blueberry bushes, fruit tress, grapes, as well as a large vegetable garden, and also a high tunnel full of vegetables. It would be very easy to cause damage, and thankfully he is careful and usually calls me before he sprays asking if I think it's okay.

Last year, he got busy and hired a local farm supply business to spray his corn, including what was growing next to my house and gardens. The wind was blowing hard that day..........in the wrong direction. Stuff got burnt, some worse than others, including some hanging ferns my wife had just bought. The green beans in the garden also took a hit, although it took a while to show up. To make a long story short, they came out and looked at it and agreed it was their fault, and offered to pay whatever damages I thought it was worth. I told them they could replace the ferns, and we'd keep an eye on the other things. I'm pretty sure it kept the green beans from making a good crop, because they were not good at all. The other things got leaf burn, but not any lasting damage that I could tell.

Some plants and trees are very susceptible to chemical damage, while others aren't. But, it all depends on what the chemical is.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I just called the power company they directed me to the spraying contractor direct #

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
We’ve been canning beans and the wife has put several bags of chopped green and sweet peppers in the freezer. We are doing tomatoes now as they ripen, slow process this year. Corn is turning and we are planning on canning that. Squash plant from hell is producing 5-6 squash every other day and has been for the last two weeks. Cucumbers are playing out. Getting 3 boxes ready to plant fall kale. Potatoes vines are dying so I’ll be digging those in a couple of weeks.

Been a wet spring and summer so far, had a lot of beans mold on the vines.

I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
Having a heck of a time getting tomatoes to turn! Been this way for 12 days now

Attached Images

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by IA_fog
My Mr. Stripeys are the same way. Took me all this week to get 14 pints of juice. Vines are full, just getting 1-2 tomatoes every 3 days. Would like to get 24 more pints from these.

Had a friend drop of a bunch of Brandywines, got 26 pints out of those.

Ended up with 95 pints of green beans before I pulled the vines. Getting ready to plant kale in those boxes.

The one squash plant is still giving us 5-6 per day, it now consumes a whole box and half of another. Cukes have died out. Corn is starting to get that dark brown look and the potato vines are dying. Peppers are still producing too.

It’s been a good year for us, God has blessed us. Pantry if filling up.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by IA_fog

Tomatoes like Sunshine, Heat, Humidity, natural Water,(Rain).
Each different Tomatoes, depending on the Many Different Varieties, take different lengths of time to mature, albeit averaging 60 days or so.
Sometimes when the weather is cooler, and not Hot and Steamy, as Tomatoes Love, I will water with Warm Water, and a Little bit of Epsom Salts to up the Magnesium!

Works Wonders, and will kick them off! Natural fertilizer, instead of Mira cal grow, or man made, possibly harmful, fertilizers.

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, just starting to get 2-4 tomatoes a day, lettuce almost done, Beans coming in strong now, taters later !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

While the tomatoes are slow, they are so worth it !

Paul.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What variety green beans do you grow up there in the North Country?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Not actually sure James !

I know both varieties are referred to as bush beans (non climbing) that we started from seeds.

Paul.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
649 members (1234, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 2,759 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,108
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.