Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Ended up with a Hawkeye Predator 308 barreled action. Not many stock options. No more McMillans unless they would inlet for one. Have a line on a factory laminated stock from a varmint version. Anyone know if same barrel profile or is the varmint slightly heavier? Don’t mind a little extra gap.

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Look up st. Arbor customs. He worked for mcmillian and will inlet flat tops for you. A friend is discussing things with him right now. I don’t know all of the details but he will and my friend said he was a very nice guy to talk to.

Edit to say if you wanted a McMillan.

Last edited by Kaleb; 08/07/22.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Will do. Thanks

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by CivilEng
Ended up with a Hawkeye Predator 308 barreled action. Not many stock options. No more McMillans unless they would inlet for one. Have a line on a factory laminated stock from a varmint version. Anyone know if same barrel profile or is the varmint slightly heavier? Don’t mind a little extra gap.

The varmint has a heavier barrel. Last week I saw a real nice green laminate short action stock on ebay that would have worked perfectly. The laminated stock you are asking about is probably a heavier stock with the wider forend etc. It would add unnecessary weight to the rifle. You could also go with a factory plastic stock. They are pretty light weight and work well enough for hunting. I just put one of my short actions in a factory plastic stock and it is working very well:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Also, according to Ruger, the predator model has a "medium contour" barrel. Keep an eye on ebay, if you are looking for a stock. Good luck with it..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, the Hawkeye Predator is a magnum contour. Mine wears the factory laminate, which is pretty trim and barely heavier than walnut. One of my favorite rifle variations Ruger has done. Huntsman22 has some experience with stock swaps and may know of a takeoff handle. Never hurts to ask.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I had one of those. Gave it to my son. That laminate is one of the best factory ones I’ve seen. I bought a factory plastic and it was just as heavy.

Very accurate rifle with a great trigger. Folks complain about them being rough, but that one is very slick after I dosed it with just a bit of moly truck-bearing grease.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Should’ve mentioned it came with a factory plastic stock that had been opened for larger barrel. Forend just has a little flex. Ergos fine for me, so maybe I ought to try to stiffen it before replacing. Looks like several methods to do so.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 68 invisible), 2,610 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,528
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.