Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Esox357 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Looking at taking the plunge in next year or 2 to go to Africa to hunt plains game. Which outfitter and area should I look at. Thanks.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
What "plains game" are you most interested in?

Do you have a problem hunting behind a high fence?

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Try Limcroma Safaries and tell Hannes Els that I recommended him.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
PM The Big Game Hunter right here at the campfire.

His PH's will meet you right there at the airport

Walk you through customs to get your guns

Load your gear into the car

Take you to camp

Work their asses off all hunt long to get you your animals

Take you back to the airport

And when the hunt is over and they have your money, they wont kick you and your gear out in the airport parking lot, they'll walk you back through customs to check your guns, then take you to a restaurant and feed you whatever you like, walk you to your departure gate, shake your hand like a man and bid you safe travels

Those guys never leave your side and do a hell of a job on it ALL!

I'm headed back for hunt number three with them very soon. cool

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's a very open ended question. First determine what species you are going after and whether you want a true African Bush experience or ranch hunting. Nothing wrong with either one, but definitively two different hunts.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Just yourself?
Rifle or Archery?
Taking any family along?

I can also recommend Limcroma.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
What others have mentioned already and.....

1. Determine what PG species you're interested in. There are 70+ different antelope species alone with 50+ subspecies with, hogs, predictors, and some primates etc. on the African continent. Many are only native to certain areas/regions. However, with high-fence and put/take done to greater/lesser degrees in most countries, you can sometimes take normally non-native species in a given area/region as well. This will help you narrow your focus a bit and bring you to the next choice.

2. Do you want to hunt totally free-range/fair chase or high-fence or some combination of the two within reasonable proximity of each other. These first two will help you narrow down the country.

3. As mentioned - rifle, archery or even big bore handguns in RSA and perhaps country specific caliber minimums.

4. Next you can start researching booking agents and outfitters and PH's in those countries and areas you've defined above.

5. Then you'll have to decide if you're interested in a set price "package hunt" or what I refer to as an "ala carte" hunt where you pay a daily rate and individual fees per animal.

6. Next, are you planning to go alone, with spouse/family or a hunting friend etc. and do you want to include any non-hunting sightseeing days. Some of this will help you decide if you want a traditional tented camp or fixed camp and lodging or more luxurious to accommodate a non-hunting or limited hunting spouse.

Lots of variables to start digging into. The first three will help drive the rest of your research.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
1st time, no expectations other than a good hunt, spouse will most likely go. High fence doesn't bother me as long as its miles upon and hopefully won't see it? Want a few days for sightseeing ect.
List; zebra, dik dik, kudu, wildebeest, warthog, impala, baboon, bushbuck, sable, open to other suggestions...

Rifle hunting. Wouldnt mind some wing shooting if it lined up. Most likely rent guns vs taking mine.

Last edited by Esox357; 08/08/22.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
This is a bit where the sub-species come into play.

Zebra - https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/how-many-types-of-zebras-are-there.html

Kudu - Greater or Lesser

Bushbuck - cape, harnessed, limpopo etc. I think there are 10-12+ different sub-species. The primary differences are in their markings and areas found.

Wing shooting - I'm pretty sure leaves out Botswana.

LOTS of sight seeing that can be done - brings up another choice. Guided or self drive or just fly to a major location like Vic Falls and do guided day trips from there. From Vic Falls you can do guided day trips into Botswana, Namibia and Tanzania. Self drive - Namibia and Botswana are safe and we've done a good bit of that in both.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Looking at Namibia. Love to do Kruger or similiar. Thanks M3taco and rest of you guys! I tried to email Limcroma but it keeps giving me an error message. I'll try back later.

Last edited by Esox357; 08/08/22.
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
We had a great trip with Shona in Namibia. No high fences and you can plan a trip like we did that included a photo safari in Etosha, shark fishing on the coast, etc.

https://www.africanhuntingnamibia.com/

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Call Kevin or Corrina at Family Expeditions (.com) and have them put together a trip for you with Hunters Namibia Safaris. They will handle all details at no extra cost to you and your trip will be absolutely fantastic.

RS

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Namibia does have some pretty good sight-seeing. Etosha NP up in the NW, the Skeleton Coast with Swakopmund/Walvis Bay kind of in the center of that. Farther S is Sossusvlei and farther S yet is the second largest canyon on the planet, Fish River Canyon. LOVE Namibia but the down side as far as sight-seeing, you've pretty much got to self-drive and remember, the country is just a little smaller than the State of TX.

Windhoek to Etosha NP is about 6hrs. WDH to Swakopmund is about 5hrs. Fish River Canyon almost 9. WDH to the entry of the Caprivi strip is 600 miles then another FULL days drive to Vic Falls. Flying between those areas isn't really practical because they are usually only one or two flts a day and most require you to hub back to and out of WDH.

If you've read my posts about the the hunting in Namibia and the effect the prolonged drought has had on game numbers AND domestic livestock, most the country will hold good shootable game but, it will be a hard hunt. The VAST majority of hunting lands there is low-fence with a few high fence operators here and there. Most high fence ops there start around 20k acres and up. Largest private game reserve is Erindi, just a few hours N of WDH. It's somewhere around 100k acres. Was recently bought by a wealthy Mexican, I think.

If you've only got a few days to add at the end and taking a spouse, think about finishing it off for 3-4 days in Vic Falls. There are some terrific hotels there but, got to say the Victoria Falls Hotel is where I'd recommend. Central to everything and like most there, their concierge service can sort out a whole host of day trips and evening activities and SAFE. IF you really want to get sick of seeing elephant, just stay in Vic Falls and day trip to the N. end of Chobe NP in Botswana.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Awesome info guys. Keep it coming!

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I hunted with http://www.kalahari-rangers.com It's in the Northern Cape. Has camp guns available - Blaser, Scope - Leica. There is really nothing around except the border crossing into Botswana at McCarthy's Rest, which is on that property. The Botswana fence is the property line on one side. Way to the back the property, the RSA military does have a radar tower on the property. You fly into Kuruman and about a 2-3 hour drive from there. Nearest town is Tsabong in Botswana. It is high fenced and you will see them as its only 24,000 continuous acres and crossed fenced. However, No traveling to concessions, you hunt and stay right on that property. You deal directly with the landowner. The animals you hunt are born on the property, and the owner does not supplement feed, but does water. He does not bring in stock to hunt but, he does have a breading area where he raises game to sell and has some horse and mules too. Nothing around to sight see, it's the lodge (which is very nice) or hunting.

There are plenty, of outfitters that Hunt in Limpopo. It's popular because its close to the JNB airport. All will be high fence. You you don't want high fences in RSA you will have to look at some of the Greater Kruger places, but get ready to pay top dollar.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I went to Cruiser's Safaris in RSA. Too many really small ranches 6-7K acres and a lot of fence. I shot 3 animals on the first morning of a 6 day 5 animal hunt. My PH and tracker/driver were very good as was the food. Just way too much fence.

When I go again, it will be with Crusaders Safaris in RSA, one million acres of low fence land on three separate properties including one near the coast.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I also went with Limcroma, twice. I went archery. It’s a great place to take a wife along or kids. I hunted high fence and I believe the vast majority of their hunts are such. My self and a friend were 100% satisfied with our safari.
If you want to get a little more sporting, go to Zimbabwe with Rosslyn safaris. I went there as well. Good place. However part of that hunt was with Martin Pieters, and that was not so good. It’s a long story, but if interested PM me.

Last edited by dale06; 08/08/22.

NRA Patron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Contact John Sharp Safari. Hunt his backyard the Bubye Valley Conservancy a million acres more or less broken into 8-9 100,000 acre camps.

If time allows side trip to Victoria Falls.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Esox357
Looking at taking the plunge in next year or 2 to go to Africa to hunt plains game. Which outfitter and area should I look at. Thanks.
Just sent you a PM!

Africa Hunting Safaris, Cape Buffalo Hunting, & Other Big Game Hunting Adventures
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Looking at Namibia. Love to do Kruger or similiar. Thanks M3taco and rest of you guys! I tried to email Limcroma but it keeps giving me an error message. I'll try back later.

Contact Dan Leahy at wheresthefirebellsouth.net.

He's Limcroma's US rep. Very responsive.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.hotfire.co.za/

Patrick and Ryan are the Outfitters/PHs. They will look after you and you will have a good time.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by M3taco
Namibia does have some pretty good sight-seeing. Etosha NP up in the NW, the Skeleton Coast with Swakopmund/Walvis Bay kind of in the center of that. Farther S is Sossusvlei and farther S yet is the second largest canyon on the planet, Fish River Canyon. LOVE Namibia but the down side as far as sight-seeing, you've pretty much got to self-drive and remember, the country is just a little smaller than the State of TX.

Windhoek to Etosha NP is about 6hrs. WDH to Swakopmund is about 5hrs. Fish River Canyon almost 9. WDH to the entry of the Caprivi strip is 600 miles then another FULL days drive to Vic Falls. Flying between those areas isn't really practical because they are usually only one or two flts a day and most require you to hub back to and out of WDH.

If you've read my posts about the the hunting in Namibia and the effect the prolonged drought has had on game numbers AND domestic livestock, most the country will hold good shootable game but, it will be a hard hunt. The VAST majority of hunting lands there is low-fence with a few high fence operators here and there. Most high fence ops there start around 20k acres and up. Largest private game reserve is Erindi, just a few hours N of WDH. It's somewhere around 100k acres. Was recently bought by a wealthy Mexican, I think.

If you've only got a few days to add at the end and taking a spouse, think about finishing it off for 3-4 days in Vic Falls. There are some terrific hotels there but, got to say the Victoria Falls Hotel is where I'd recommend. Central to everything and like most there, their concierge service can sort out a whole host of day trips and evening activities and SAFE. IF you really want to get sick of seeing elephant, just stay in Vic Falls and day trip to the N. end of Chobe NP in Botswana.

Shona that I mentioned above included all travel and meals in our 14 days there seeing that bolded above as well as hunting on their property that holds elephant, lion and leopard. We basically did the 14 day combo for two.

https://www.africanhuntingnamibia.com/specials/

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
In Namibia, I'd recommend Kowas. Very nice family owned and run, with great accommodations in private chalets and lots of land and animals. Ansi will take your wife to town for shopping and sight-seeing.

Last edited by Biebs; 08/09/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you have time, I would strongly recommend that you attend the SCI and DSC conventions. You can talk to many outfitters and booking agents to see what situation offers the most bang for the buck and experience/species you're after. There are hundreds of choices possible.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you all! Very excited and looking to hunt 2023 or 2024.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Go to namibia and do a side trip to Etosha....M3Taco and set you up.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by gunner500

Take you to camp

And when the hunt is over and they have your money, they wont kick you and your gear out in the airport parking lot, they'll walk you back through customs to check your guns, then take you to a restaurant and feed you whatever you like, walk you to your departure gate, shake your hand like a man and bid you safe travels

Thanks Jerry! Looking forward to seeing you again.

Africa Hunting Safaris, Cape Buffalo Hunting, & Other Big Game Hunting Adventures
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

going my first time in a couple of weeks.....I think a good idea is figure what the most you want to spend all in is...deduct travel cost...tips...new gear....taxidermy etc.

see what is left ...see what that gets you.....in my case its working out to about 3 times what the "hunt cost" is. bob

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

Kowas Hunting Safaris. An absolutely can't miss outfitter.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by The_Big_Game_Hunter

Take you to camp

Thanks Jerry! Looking forward to seeing you again.

You're most welcome Sir, I'm kicking on the barn stall door ready to go now! wink

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I am no expert but over years checking hunt reports I find that Tanzania has lots of really wild plains game.Zimbabwe not so much-almost nil.Mokore safaris in Mozambique is full of plains game.It is an area where game was reintroduced and they have done a good job of with water and anti poaching so much that you will see plains game falling from the sky.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
2nd on Kowas adventures safaris, just got back today from being there 12 days.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by upper_deck
2nd on Kowas adventures safaris, just got back today from being there 12 days.

I'll look forward to your report. The Straus family are world class and so is the hunting. Hope they are all doing well.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by swiftshot
I am no expert but over years checking hunt reports I find that Tanzania has lots of really wild plains game.Zimbabwe not so much-almost nil.Mokore safaris in Mozambique is full of plains game.It is an area where game was reintroduced and they have done a good job of with water and anti poaching so much that you will see plains game falling from the sky.

I saw lots of plains game when I hunted Zimbabwe in the Save with Mokore. Plenty of buffalo as well.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Where did you get your info on Zim regarding plains game as it is wrong?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by bowmanh

I saw lots of plains game when I hunted Zimbabwe in the Save with Mokore. Plenty of buffalo as well.

If you don't mind hunting fenced areas then you could hunt the Save and the Bubye Valley Conservancy.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by EdM

No it's not.Where in Zim can you hunt and see lots of truly wild plains game?

Last edited by swiftshot; 08/14/22.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by EdM

There were no fences in the Gwaai when I hunted Zim and I saw an assortment of plains game.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by EdM

There were no fences in the Gwaai when I hunted Zim and I saw an assortment of plains game.

Gwaii?? Where's that?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by EdM

Gwaii?? Where's that?

It looks like there are different spellings for it, Google maps has it as the Gwayi...at any rate it borders on Hwange National Park.About 90 km north and west of Bulawayo.

Last edited by ingwe; 08/14/22.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Been watching the conversations a bit and want to toss a little more general planning info.

Keep in mind the actual cost of the hunt is generally broken down in several traunches of payments. The first one is generally paying the deposit to lock-in, hold and confirm your dates. Second, are the airline tickets. Third is settling the bill after the hunt. Fourth, taxidermy work and Fifth, shipping. Fourth and fifth are are interchangeable depending on if you do the taxidermy work in Africa or in the US. All these can payments are spread out over 12-18 months or more. This can help with the cashflow.

Spending $$$ on new rifle(s), optics, clothing and other kit is not always necessary and you shouldn't have to feel obligated to do so provided: a: you already have a rifle of sufficient caliber to be legal for hunting in the country you're going and/or the game you're after. Most, not all, countries have a minimum caliber or muzzle energy limit. GENERALLY, this starts at 7mm for common PG, 375 H&H Mag and up for DG. So, my point being, if you are only after PG and you already have a rifle of 7mm or larger you like and you shoot it well, you'll be fine. I've mentioned before that a 308Win with 150gr TSX loaded to 2900fps will be complete passthroughs' on broadside, thru the shoulders zebra out to 200m. Same goes for optics on the rifle and around your neck. Unless you're going to be hunting in the wide open hills of the Karroo and more than likely in the more "bushweld" areas, the bulk of your shots can be well under 200m. Leave all the fancy twisty turrets, high magnification stuff at home as they area very likely to end up costing you game. Set your point of bullet impact an inch or inch and a half high at 100m and most rifles will be dead on at 150 and two inches or so low at 200m. Just put the crosshairs on the vitals and squeeze. No or very little guess work on hold over/under required. Same with laser range finders. At the common ranges your shooting at, do your really need to lase every shot? It's more important that you spend the time practicing off standing shooting sticks. More animals are lost because clients don't take this seriously and bugger the shots.

Clothing/kit - no need to buy a bunch of new hunting clothes. If you're happy in blue jeans, wear them. If you want to buy some clothes', just buy a couple of pairs of Dickey's khaki pants and shirts. No need to buy into all the various latest cammo marketing hype or scent blockers etc. Took a guy over one time that insisted on spraying himself down from head to toe with some scent blocker nonsense. PH asked him what he was doing, client told him. I thought the PH and trackers would bust a gut laughing at him. First, you're always stalking from down wind. Second, the trackers usually seem to all smoke and tend bath somewhat...umm... infrequently etc. My general point being, a LOT of the stuff you see being pushed on the "hunting shows" is purely marketing and how they get their hunts paid for. Don't have to buy into yourself. Only thing I will say to spend money on is a GOOD pair of all leather boots or hiking boots with the least aggressive soles you can find and make sure they are well broken in.

As always....just my opinion and anyone can feel free to use or toss in the trash.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks M3taco. Good info. I plan on using rented firearm for hunt. Save on fees for bringing in rifle and worry of lost/stolen or damaged gun.

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
As always M3Taco has lots of great advice.

I have hunted with both Hotfire and Kowas (coovas I think is the correct pronunciation) and would heartily recommend either operation.

Find out what hunting show your short list of outfits are attending and go chat with them. You’ll be spending a lot of time with them and you want it to be with someone you can get on with.

Unless you are heart set upon lots of taxidermy I would suggest European mounts, hides tanned hair on, hides tanned into leather for projects back home and lots of pictures. Use the money you save on extensive taxidermy for more trophy fees or for touring.

As always my opinion and $5 buys you a cup of coffee.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by EdM

Gwaii?? Where's that?

Swiftshot, with all due respect, you’re not well informed about Zimbabwean Plains Game or the areas where Zimbabwean hunts take place. It’s been a long time, but I’ve hunted in Matetsi, Deka and Charara and none of those areas have fences. Matetsi and Deka are great PG and general bag area, no fences. The Zambezi Valley is unfenced, as are most areas including Chete, Chirisa, and all other government concessions. Gwaii and Kazuma are unfenced, and I believe Malapati, Tsholotso (sp) and Chibwedziva are the same. Save, Bubye and Nuanetsi all fenced but massive unfenced acreage, hundreds of thousands of acres, inside each of them.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of photos, plan on bringing back horns, and most hides? Possibly taxidermy 1 specie but unsure.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by CAelknuts
Originally Posted by EdM

Gwaii?? Where's that?

Swiftshot, with all due respect, you’re not well informed about Zimbabwean Plains Game or the areas where Zimbabwean hunts take place. It’s been a long time, but I’ve hunted in Matetsi, Deka and Charara and none of those areas have fences. Matetsi and Deka are great PG and general bag area, no fences. The Zambezi Valley is unfenced, as are most areas including Chete, Chirisa, and all other government concessions. Gwaii and Kazuma are unfenced, and I believe Malapati, Tsholotso (sp) and Chibwedziva are the same. Save, Bubye and Nuanetsi all fenced but massive unfenced acreage, hundreds of thousands of acres, inside each of them.

"it's been a long time" that could the issue.The reason why I've not heard of Gwaii and a couple of other areas you mentioned is because there is little interested for anyone to hunt there and the reason being they are void of game.In 2018,I've hunted in the concession adjacent to Charara,hunted Dande in 2015,and Chirisa and can state without a doubt you will be lucky to shoot an impala,baboon or a kudu in a week's hunting...Chirisa-you'll be wanking it there.

Last edited by swiftshot; 08/16/22.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
One thing I noticed when checking out the areas/results is if hyenas are taken and the size of them.If there are no hyenas in the trophy pics of outfitters you can bet there are not many plains game.If there are and they're huge then the area is full.Unless someone is shooting them because they eat the animals...but what do I know-lol?

Last edited by swiftshot; 08/17/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting thought, but doesn't really hold up in the majority of areas. SA for instance is 80% farm hunting. Game farmers are not real wild about predators eating their profits so they tend to eliminate them with deadly efficiency. In Zim, Bots, Zam, Moz, and Nam, some areas simply do not have a lot of predators as farmers in the area thin out predators.

I've hunted Africa since 1992 and I see more predators in Namibia which has one of the lowest carrying capacities in all of Africa. So lots of predators with a low animal density. But that has nothing to do with predation and everything to do with habitat.

As far as shooting them for trophy and/or pictures, not sure many go to Africa for Hyenas and Jackal. So using them as a ruler is difficult.

Last edited by STRSWilson; 08/17/22.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Huntersgame Safaris near Kimberley, RSA. Been three times with professional hunter Nisan Engelbrecht. His services and game are exemplary. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks all!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would suggest contacting Pieter Kriel (https://huntinginafricasafaris.com/). We have hunted with him a few times and we were very pleased. You can probably still find my hunting reports on this site.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by EdM

Sengwa Research for one. Well managed, huge eland and waterbuck. Great plains game and dangerous game. I have hunted the area, so it is not second hand info to me. Save is another area. It was fenced around the perimeter (over 1000 square miles) with no interior fences, last I heard the some of the perimeter fence is still down from when I was there. I have hunted a couple of concessions on the Save, saw black rhino there also.

There are others in Zim that I have not hunted so I will not comment on them.

Last edited by Mike70560; 08/18/22.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
To answer the first question South Africa is the easy button.

My first hunt was in Tanzania, never regretted it.

My suggestion would be Coutada Nine in Mozambique with Mokore Safaris. I have hunted there. Absolute paradise for hunting. No fences. East Africa feel. Reasonable rates, great experience, absolutely worth the extra money as compared to a ranch hunt. My 2 cents.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys!

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Another strong recommendation for Kowas. If you have time to go to Vegas for SCI before deciding they usually attend and you can meet them.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I have heard lots of good about Kowas Safari's in Namibia and have spoken with them several times, really good people. I am sure there are plenty of good operater's in Nambia and Botswana that are low fence free range. I have hunted 2 out three Mokore Safari's area's, C9 in Moz and Mokore Ranch in Zim, both have ton's of plains game and a huge diversity of animal's. I wouldn't hesitate to go back to either and probably will. Sengwa Research is on the short list and I will definately try and get there shortly if they get the lease back. Good luck in your search

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
https://agarobsafaris.com/

This is a nice family operation with 100% free range game
Reasonable pricing

Huge kudo
Free range - fair chase

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
If I were going first time again I would be interested in.This would be for dangerous game and plains game my style.

1-Safaris de Mozambique
2-Mashambazou Safaris with Grant Taylor
3-Mbalabala Safaris with Lindon stanton

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Biebs
In Namibia, I'd recommend Kowas. Very nice family owned and run, with great accommodations in private chalets and lots of land and animals. Ansi will take your wife to town for shopping and sight-seeing.

I first went with Limcroma. Shot a few with bow and a few with rifle. All high fence. Always an argument with the PH to not shoot out of the vehicle. I thought, "been there; done that; it was fun; never going back."

I had a couple of friends talk me into to going to Namibia with Kowas and for that matter, may of discussed it with Biebs (can't remember). I've since been back multiple times with them and bringing various friends and family members each trip. Kowas hunts hundreds of thousands of acres of primarily low-fence. Spot and stalk, sporting and a lot of fun.

I haven't traveled internationally since COVID but am getting the itch to brave the New World (pun intended) and go back.

I would 100% recommend Kowas for a good experience and for those who enjoy a great hunt involving spot and stalk as opposed to just shooting stuff.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by EdM

Matetse. I passed on eland and hyena.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

There's buffalo too...

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Elands are awesome.I would like to hunt one next time around if possible.A zebra is also nice.The meat tasted great and I have a beautiful rug made in Zim with the help of Andy Hunter.

Last edited by swiftshot; 09/02/22.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I can highly recommend Sebra Hunting Safaris in Kamanjab Namibia. I have hunted with Sebra six times and while the draught reduced the sheer numbers of game, there are still plenty of trophy critters available if you’re willing to put in the effort. I hunted with Jan du Plessis in July of this year and got a trophy Eland, two awesome Springbok, an ancient Warthog and passed on numerous trophy animals that I’d already bagged on previous hunts. Jan’s wife Mariesje is a gourmet cook and a sweetheart as well. Jan’s daily rates and trophy fees are extremely competitive and his camp rifles are highly accurate and allow you to bypass the hassle with TSA.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ll add to the Kowas recommendations - great family and experience.

Who is John Galt?
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys! Planning on using Gunner's recommendation for my 1st time to Namibia. I hope to book in January and go I hunting in 2024. I appreciate all the help. I am hoping a good experience and plan on returning in the future.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Nisan Engelbrecht of Huntersgame Safaris. Hunted with him three different times and each time he excelled beyond our expectations. He is a young PH that loves to hunt. His accommodations were exemplary. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
We hunted South Africa this past June and had an absolute blast.
My wife killed a Sable and i was able to harvest a Nyala, Impala and Wildebeest.
The three Cape Buffalo were very tempting at 18 yards.

I recommend Gerhard at GP Footprint. 5 Star Accommodations and Very quality hunt.

GPFootprintSafaris.com . If you speak to him, tell him Chance sent you.

Sable hunts are $6500 and Cape Buffalo are $12750 but that includes the lodging, meals, drinks, etc. Basically everything except getting over there and getting the animals back. Of course, add-on animals are allowed.

Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member Safari Club International
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

Take you to camp

It was great having you back on your hunt a couple weeks ago Jerry. That was a heck of a hunt, especially that buffalo and sable!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have only been once, but recommend Gras Ranch in Namibia

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It's hard to beat Mokore Safaris in Zimbabwe and Mozambique. Neil and Gary Duckworth run a top notch operation and are great PH's. My son and I did a buffalo/plains game hunt in September in Mozambique with Neil, and it was fabulous. Big, wild country and lots and lots of game.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I haven't read the previous replies. I would suggest you narrow down the outfitters to three and then call and speak with them. Have your questions written down prior to calling and ask the same questions of each PH. Speaking with the prospective guides has always made my choice easy. Phone calls are expensive but worth the cost, imo.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A few of us on this site would highly recommend Nick Bowker Safaris https://nickbowkerhunting.com/ and TalleyHo Safaris https://www.tallyho.co.za/ Nick or Stuart will take great care of you at a reasonable price. Great animals as well.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

588 members (10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 22250rem, 59 invisible), 2,166 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,796
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.