Print Thread
Hop To
#17491649 08/07/22
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Doing a mini- vacation in Quebec City in Sep. Any restaurant recomendations, things to see etc.?

GB1

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have only seen one member here from Quebec.
I have never been but would like to go to Quebec City too, I have been told it is a must see if going to the Province, sounds exciting.
It would be great if you were to post a thread of your experience there.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Will do! Been to Montreal twice, but never Quebec City. It's only a six or seven hour ride from NH.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bogtrotter;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope the day's been behaving itself for you out east and you're well.

I've got a family member who has been there about 7 years back, so I sent them a message asking your question.

If I get a response I'll pass it along.

Like 673, we'd like to get there someday and I'd like to hear what you found and saw as well.

Thanks in advance and all the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Always wanted to do a vacation to Montreal and Qubec City.
Not sure why, in my trucking days I never found much of that
Canadian friendliness in PQ.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Here in NH, we get a lot of tourists from Quebec, they usually stock up on any liqour they need before heading back. It's much cheaper here in NH. Nice people, alot of people of french Canadian descent in NH.

Last edited by Bogtrotter; 08/07/22.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The Citadelle is very interesting to spend a day walking around and checking. There is a boardwalk with good open air vendors overlooking the river close by. Leaving the Citadelle and within easy walking distance is a number of small plazas / streets all having very good eating spots -- just depends on what you are looking for.

https://www.quebec-cite.com/en/businesses/citadelle-de-quebec

Hugh
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Quebec City is the only Old World city in North America making it a must see. After struggling driving a one ton double cab long box around, at the campground that night I was told the trick is to park on the south shore and walk on the ferry to get across the river.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Few yrs back me and my daughter stopped on destruction bay, YT been driving all day from beaver creek anyhow we got a room. I went into the restaurant, ordered some food and the lady had a French accent we struck up a conversation she was from Quebec City. She was a nurse went to France for work for a few years. Apparently France has a bunch of nurses so work was hit or miss I guess. So she talked to her sister who owns the restaurant/hotel/gas station and move to destruction bay. She was truly curious about America and us Americans great lady to talk to. One day when things go back to normal. Love to tour Canada.

Last edited by 79S; 08/07/22.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, I for one don't remember the names of the restaurants I've eaten at in Quebec City, but spend your time inside the walled part of the City,
and its hard to find a bad one...I've been there more times than I can remember. My two favorite towns in North America are Quebec City and Key West. I've stayed at the Frontenac many a time....Took my second wife there back in the early part of this century, 2000 to 2002, when I worked for a Canadian company out of Ottawa.

The company invited our spouses up to the home office for a large Special Christmas party, and put us up at the Hotel right next to the Canadian Senate Building...at the Chateau Laurier. We had a week to spend on our own and I took the wife to Quebec City, spent just a day in Montreal.

We stayed at the Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City and I took her around the town, with a day trip up to Chicoutimi Quebec..

She loved it, was almost likened it to what she thought being in Europe would be. The St Lawrence River in Wintertime was something to marvel at.. its a huge river... She also loved when I took her for Walks in the park of the Plains of Abraham, which overlooks the St Lawrence River, where the British beat the French and Quebec was ceded to the British. Its a wonderful and beautiful place...

The Cathedral of the Holy Trinity, is the oldest Anglican Church built outside the British Isles. It is quite a place to visit also. We attended a service there on Sunday. That also blew my wife's mind.. she had never seen a place quite like that in her life.

She enjoyed the hell out of that also...

you get the chance, I think it is one of the most wonderful cities in North America. and it doesn't have a lot of big city crime ( or at least didn't) like many other cities of large size elsewhere in N.A. The French spoken there is like being in Europe and also being in a European walled city. Tons of wonderful shops, great people... and there are a lot more friendlier to American tourists than English Speaking Canadian Tourists.

Before leaving on Sunday, my wife wanted to just hit breakfast at McDonald's, so we crossed over to Laval.... The girl at the counter had trouble understanding ANY English, so the manager came over and took our order. My French sucks, but I can read it okay, and usually understand the general idea of what it says. The Manager was a nice guy, and told me I could order in English after I ordered in French... he understood it just fine.. which most adults seemed to.. but Quebec pushes everything to be in French for business.... so he took our order, and we stood to the side to wait for it.... a guy immediately behind us, was an English speaking Canadian from Ontario, so he started giving the manager his order in English.

The manager just stood there and smiled at guy. So when he finished, the manager had no change in expression and just smiled... So the guy asked him did he not understand something. So the manager said in French, that he didn't speak English. So the Canuck customer said, "Well you just took their order in English"... which the manager replied in English, " I know, because they are Americans.. and the Gentleman's French wasn't that good"
and just smiled at the guy. So the guy is getting irritated, and asks is he going to take his order or not. To which the manager replies in French, "of course, but in French"... The guy complains he doesn't Speak French... the manager just smiles.

Finally the English speaking Canuck gets pissed off, and tells the manager in English "Screw YOU"... and leaves.

The manager winks at me and my wife and then hands us our order.... Enjoy sir, and have a good day, thank you for visiting us and enjoy your stay in Quebec.

They have a totally different attitude, if you even make an attempt to try and speak in French it seems in Quebec. But as an American, one has to laugh at the angst between English speaking people from Ontario and the French speakers from Quebec. The French seem to have less stress with it...and love to drive the folks from Ontario nuts.

if one gets the chance to go, its a wonderful place to visit.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I went to Quebec City with my wife at Christmas in 1972. It was beautiful with all the snow and ice. The St. Lawrence River was full of ice, moving at a fast clip. It was scary.

Quebec was like being in a European city. We went back to Canada in 2018, to Magog, at the north end of Lake Memphremagog. We were staying in Newport, Vermont. We had no problem with the English/French language issue then. Back in 1972, we did experience some folks refusing to speak English in a country grocery store. I can't remember any such problems in Quebec City. We also visited Montreal in 1972. No problems there. I would love to go back to Quebec City again.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Quebec i was there a few times stayed a nite or two with some other guys on our way to caribou hunts, every dining place we went to was great, we also had a great time ! but i don`t think our wives would have approved on the bars / clubs we went too ?

Last edited by pete53; 08/08/22.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As noted by Seafire as an Ontarian we find Quebec to be a province we no longer choose to visit. In years past we made trips there and left early because of our treatment. Our youngest daughter and her husband went there on a trip and left after one night in the province. She swore they would never go back. In later years we were acquainted with a french canadian who couldn't stand the french canadian Quebecers. He had a distinct accent and he said if he tried to speak English there the locals refused to serve him.

Maybe they treat Americans differently but for myself I would never recommend it as a tourist destination. Take it for what it's worth.

Jim

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just before all the covid craziness, my wife and I visited Quebec City. I enjoyed it a lot. it's the most Euporian-looking city in North America that I know about. We stayed at the Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac, one of the swankiest hotels I've ever experienced. We visited Montmorency Falls, the Museum of Civilization, the Citadelle, the Plains of Abraham, and the older historical parts of the city, in other words, we just hung out. I liked it there better than I thought would because I'm not a fan of anything French.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thank's guy's, I've never been treated poorly in Quebec, maybe because I'm a Yank. It's kind of funny because I met an elderly lady in Georgia a few years ago. Who upon finding out I was from New Hanpshire said, " Oh, a damned Yankee!"

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Spent 6 or 7 New Years Eves in Montreal over the years. A bleu steak at Gibby’s and a couple bottles of wine always made for an enjoyable evening.
Hard to beat Rue Ste. Catherine on a Saturday morning in the summer.
Haven’t been back in a while.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Chateau Frontenac is a must. Quebec City is the only walled city in NA. Not far from the city is a magnificent waterfall worth seeing as well. I like it.up there and would like to go during Winter Carnival some time. Definitely Old World inside the wall and the Parliament area is cool, too. Oh, and Saint Anne de Beaupre cathedral is amazing and not far from the city. The French Mass is really nice and the great columns inside the church have hundreds of canes and walkers affixed to them from those who have received healing there over the years, too.

Last edited by bluefish; 08/17/22.

The way life should be.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The nice thing about Montreal is that you feel somewhat safe even at night.When I go out now I find everything extremely boring and can't understand why tourists come here.I do not see the city through the same eyes as I did when I was young or in my teens or twenties.Things where more exciting back then.I am not into sightseeing.A city I like to visit now is Las Vegas.I also went to Toronto a few times in the past months and feel that it is much more alive and fun than Montreal.It would be something if Montreal came alive again like it was in the seventies-that was awesome.

Last edited by swiftshot; 08/18/22.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 68 invisible), 2,352 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,655
Posts18,455,579
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.