24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The thread about not throwing stuff away got me to thinking.
I suspect everybody has what we call a “junk drawer” be it in the kitchen or an old desk or cabinet where you throw stuff that just might be useful sometime.
When I was a kid, Mom & Dad had one in the kitchen that was a treasure trove of pocket knives, Old cigarette lighters, assorted rifle ammo and keys and chains. As I kid, I’d stand on a chair while they were watching TV and root though that thing.

I captured my first old Barlow knife and a Zippo outta that drawer!
Wifey has one full of old nuts and bolts and screws, and I always make sure I’ve got some fittings and clamps handy for repairing garden hoses and whatnot.
Useful stuff, but nothing like that one I remember from being a kid!
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have several junk drawers, one in the kitchen , one in my bedroom and a Junk Cabinet on the screened in porch . And yeah I too remember exploring them as a child . wink

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This thread is obcene.! This is not the discussion forum for Brittney Griners old pants.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sadly, my entire house is a "junk drawer".
I'm not really a "hoarder" in the sense of there are mere trails throughout the house. I keep it on boxes and crates.
Not long ago, I went through my "junk" and assembled a honey bee vacuum! 😃
Boxes and crates in the barn, the "blue box" and a corner or two in the house.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sadly, my entire house is a "junk drawer".
I'm not really a "hoarder" in the sense of there are mere trails throughout the house. I keep it on boxes and crates.
Not long ago, I went through my "junk" and assembled a honey bee vacuum! 😃
Boxes and crates in the barn, the "blue box" and a corner or two in the house.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Have a few, big ones are in my gun/reloading room and my shop. Have a drawer in my nightstand that in addition to having spare mags for my bedside pistol, has assorted lighters, change, nail clippers, flashlight, batteries, 6 way screwdriver etc etc.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have one. Mostly full of junk.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Old junk drawers

Man, my wife has 'em all over the house, several in the kitchen, the dining room, the den, the hall, the living room, bathrooms, etc.

The only common item in each, is a pistol. wink

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have an old junk shop.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Took my dads old lunch box filled with stuff to Florida to start a junk draw there. Screwdrivers, pliers, putty knifes etc. he kept it under the sink in the kitchen.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
One of my favorite things when I visited my grandparents as a kid was to poke around in their junk drawer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I have an old junk shop.

Me too, it's called my house.

😂🤣😂

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
We had a junk draw in a kitchen drawer when I was growing up similar to the one the OP described and I have one still.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
My dad died the 13th of last month. The junk drawer was in the same place in the kitchen as when I was a kid. A few things were taken out of it over the last couple of years, very few.

I was surprised to realize that it really was just junk. When I was a kid there MAY have been more in it and I DID consider it treasure back then but my mom and dad were post depression babies so they saved everything.

I do remember robbing it of twist ties off of bread bags. Mom saved those for whatever they could be used and this boy found lots and lots of uses for them.

Last edited by IZH27; 08/08/22.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My junk drawer is a 40X60 shop.

When my FIL passed, I drove up to Oklahoma to move MIL out of the house.
In an effort to save time, I just dumped a bunch of his "junk" into boxes and brought it all home to Louisiana to add to my junk.

He was much better junk man than me, his stuff has saved me countless trips to the hardware store!

Last edited by Simplepeddler; 08/08/22.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm guilty.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I was born in 1937. Every junk drawer had string in it. Tape was unknown.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
And "junk"piles. Can't operate without resources.

I'm in Fairbanks now on my way to a caribou hunt. I assembled this take-down, portable meat pole from the available "resource" pile behind the garage (out of our sight- screw the neighbor's view..... smile ). The metal resource pile is inside the garage - soon to be moved to the newly built unheated garage addition.

A couple old TV roof antennas mounts, a 12' salvaged 2x4, a piece of unused angle iron ( to be replaced as soon as I can come up with the appropriate antenna pole pipe). Easily transported broken down on the 16' ATV trailer, under the ATVs.. Last year I used a spruce tree for one end ( I only had one tripod)., but I can't be assured of the same parking spot this year, and we will be arriving late in the afternoon the day before opening day, vs the morning before.

Redneck's R Us!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I just missed out on a roll of hog wire at the dump - it was obvious from the grass grown a third of the way up it had been standing on end in someone's yard for several years - it didn't look like any of it had been used, still as tightly rolled as from HD. Front end loader beat me to it, damn it- I need some to enclose next year's garden (moose, hares, porcupines) once I get the garage addition retaining wall back-filled.

One isn't supposed to "salvage" there, anyway, but, man - what a waste!

That 18" long, 4" diameter aluminum tube next to the boat came off a friend's RV awning roll out after he was forced to side-swipe an illegally road-edge parked Touron years ago. I've been using it to cover my 18' Jon boat in the winter - a couple salvaged/scrap lumber mounts and poly tarps keeps the leaves and snow off during winter storage. Or did - boat's going under the addition this year- pipe is going to a friend for HIS winter boat cover.

Last edited by las; 08/08/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
690 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 80 invisible), 2,766 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,904
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.