Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Farmers/landowners create most of the over population problems themselves by not allowing enough people to hunt. The hardest part of properly managing the deer herd is restricted access to private land.

BP-B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Culled does legally on local plantations for right at twenty years here. None of the meat was wasted. My log book showed where they were shot, caliber, distance, bullet, etc for each deer. Deer were shot with every caliber,bullet combination from 222 Rem to 300 Ultra. Hint: culling was more pleasurable with the 222.

I won’t mention numbers because I don’t like being accused of lying.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Farmers/landowners create most of the over population problems themselves by not allowing enough people to hunt. The hardest part of properly managing the deer herd is restricted access to private land.

Being a farmer and a landowner, I'm going to comment on this. Most landowners that I know just are not going to open up their land for anybody and everybody to hunt. Here in Kentucky, land that's not being hunted by family or friends is leased out. Most of the leased land is hunted by guys wanting a big buck, and they don't shoot anything else, even though the deer herd usually has too many does. Contrary to popular belief, most deer hunters are trophy hunters first, and meat hunters last. They've been programmed over the years to think that way because of all the big buck contests, and the TV shows that show the guys and gals hunting trophy whitetails.

I know the argument about how we need to shoot does is a good one, and in most cases it is a valid one. But, it's not always the farmer/landowners fault that it doesn't happen. I know several guys who lease their land out, and they have given specific instructions to the hunters to kill lots of deer............but that usually does not happen, as the hunters want a big buck and here where they're only allowed one buck a year, they aren't going to waste a tag on a small buck, and a lot of them won't shoot does until they fill their buck tag.

Having said that, here where I live the Mennonites keep the deer population in control because they are meat hunters for the most part. Still though, they're going after antlers just like everyone else, and often shoot bucks instead of shooting does. The fact that too many hunters won't shoot anything but a buck, which leads to overpopulation of the deer herd, is very rarely the landowners fault. Then when the farmer ends up culling the deer that are eating his cops, he gets criticized for not allowing enough hunting.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
When I was a teen, (SE Texas, mid 60's) a local "big name Rice farmer's son", leased/planted soybeans where none had ever, never before, been grown. The deer went crazy for them ( like catnip) so he bought 5 new Browning BAR 30-06s, (he used only illegals for help) and they started whacking/stacking/burning them. No state permits, no quota, just the "good ol boy network" looking the other way. Well, all the deer leases within 10 miles that fall were affected, no deer to speak of. This made the deer hunters mad, who contacted/threatened to stop leasing the Paper Company land ( which messed with "their money" ) and the next year...no soybeans were planted in that tract of land. That farmer went back to Rice (his family had a gazillion acres further south)It was a mess.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Total misunderstanding of a farmers situation. Most farmers here want a responsible group of hunters with whom they have a relationship with and can trust. On our lease we have raised the buck spread requirements to the point only a 3-4 bucks are killed on 1800 acres per year. Basically if you want to shoot deer it is going to be does. However, it makes for some great sits watching the parade of bucks that are going to be something one day.
GreggH

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Being a farmer and a landowner, I'm going to comment on this. Most landowners that I know just are not going to open up their land for anybody and everybody to hunt. Here in Kentucky, land that's not being hunted by family or friends is leased out. Most of the leased land is hunted by guys wanting a big buck, and they don't shoot anything else, even though the deer herd usually has too many does. Contrary to popular belief, most deer hunters are trophy hunters first, and meat hunters last. They've been programmed over the years to think that way because of all the big buck contests, and the TV shows that show the guys and gals hunting trophy whitetails.

I know the argument about how we need to shoot does is a good one, and in most cases it is a valid one. But, it's not always the farmer/landowners fault that it doesn't happen. I know several guys who lease their land out, and they have given specific instructions to the hunters to kill lots of deer............but that usually does not happen, as the hunters want a big buck and here where they're only allowed one buck a year, they aren't going to waste a tag on a small buck, and a lot of them won't shoot does until they fill their buck tag.

Having said that, here where I live the Mennonites keep the deer population in control because they are meat hunters for the most part. Still though, they're going after antlers just like everyone else, and often shoot bucks instead of shooting does. The fact that too many hunters won't shoot anything but a buck, which leads to overpopulation of the deer herd, is very rarely the landowners fault. Then when the farmer ends up culling the deer that are eating his cops, he gets criticized for not allowing enough hunting.

Well said. Most of the people who complain about farmers not letting people hunt do not have a clue.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by GreggH
Total misunderstanding of a farmers situation. Most farmers here want a responsible group of hunters with whom they have a relationship with and can trust. On our lease we have raised the buck spread requirements to the point only a 3-4 bucks are killed on 1800 acres per year. Basically if you want to shoot deer it is going to be does. However, it makes for some great sits watching the parade of bucks that are going to be something one day.
GreggH
I don't give a shyt how it is on your lease, I know how it is here as I've seen it with my own eyes. Even DEC says their biggest impediment to properly managing our herd is that so much private property is either completely off limits to hunters or too restricted and therefore under hunted.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I thought the Coywolves were cutting down the NY herds ?

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Kaleb

Well said. Most of the people who complain about farmers not letting people hunt do not have a clue.
Had two farms in my family dumbass. Never a posted sign on either one and never a problem with too many deer. You are the one who is clueless.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by UpThePole
I thought the Coywolves were cutting down the NY herds ?
They take some deer but we've got areas with 60+ deer per square mile.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

The same thing happens here. A lot of the farmers either won't let anybody but family hunt because they don't want somebody else shooting their trophy bucks or they lease it out to hunters who have no interest in shooting anything but trophy bucks. Then they piss and moan about crop damage. Those farmers bring their over population/crop damage problems on themselves. They deserve no sympathy when it's nobody's fault but their own. Forty odd years ago, before everybody went trophy buck crazy, lots of farmers here would let just about anybody who asked hunt {my neighbor is still one of these} or just didn't post their land and you didn't even need to ask. Those farmers, of which there were many, never had problems with too many deer. Then we have the bunny hugging city slickers with deep pockets who come here, buy up large tracts of land and won't let anybody kill poor Bambi. Combine them with the aforementioned farmers and it makes it impossible to properly manage the herd on private lands.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The part you obviously don’t have a clue about is any normal landowner I know wouldn’t want some ignorant know it all foul mouth hot head on the property they own. It has very little to do with a silly deer no matter the size. Land owners have had fences cut cattle shot fields drove through for starters. Then if they let too many people or the people can’t get along guess who hears all the complaining? Yep the land owner. So it’s easier to say no. Especially when everyone I know who owns land either hunts themselves or has hunters that are family members or close friends. Keep ranting though. It’s entertaining if nothing else.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Of course farmers and landowners only let family and friends hunt the private property…..lol. (Unless leased out to a responsible group). No one who has anything they’ve worked hard for want random people helping themselves to it. No point in trying to explain why because the fact that someone would even make that statement amazes me. That’s some sure enough lefty liberal we should all have to share poor me the hard workers bought land for themselves I deserve it too mentality.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Of course farmers and landowners only let family and friends hunt the private property…..lol. (Unless leased out to a responsible group). No one who has anything they’ve worked hard for want random people helping themselves to it. No point in trying to explain why because the fact that someone would even make that statement amazes me. That’s some sure enough lefty liberal we should all have to share poor me the hard workers bought land for themselves I deserve it too mentality.
The reason you think that way is because that's all you've ever known. It wasn't always that way here even within my memory and I've only been deer hunting for the last 45 years. Were there farmers back in the 70's who wouldn't let just anybody hunt ? Sure but there were still a lot that would too. Go back to the 50's when my dad was young and hardly anybody posted their land. You could hunt all over and nobody cared and they never even thought of leasing their land out to deer hunters. That was a disease that started in the South and didn't spread here until recent years, right along with trophy management and the trophy bucks or bust craze. Before that, most farmers didn't care much about deer or who was hunting them on their land. In fact, many thought of them as little more than crop eating pests and welcomed hunters to keep them thinned out. One farmer whose land I hunted on as a kid went so far as to tell me to shoot all the deer I saw and that he didn't care if the season was open or not, just kill the damn crop eating varmints. He was known for carrying a rifle on his tractor and shooting them on sight year round himself.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The part you obviously don’t have a clue about is any normal landowner I know wouldn’t want some ignorant know it all foul mouth hot head on the property they own. It has very little to do with a silly deer no matter the size. Land owners have had fences cut cattle shot fields drove through for starters. Then if they let too many people or the people can’t get along guess who hears all the complaining? Yep the land owner. So it’s easier to say no. Especially when everyone I know who owns land either hunts themselves or has hunters that are family members or close friends. Keep ranting though. It’s entertaining if nothing else.
Funny we never had those problems from the time my grandfather bought his farm in 1946 till he died and the farm was sold in the early 2000's. It never had a posted sign on it in all those years and tons of people hunted it. A gate was left open once and some heifers got out and that was about it. The person who did it later admitted he was the one who had forgotten to close the gate and apologized profusely. Other than that, there are still a few old timers around here who will let pretty much anyone hunt for the asking. As mentioned before, my next door neighbor is one of them. The owner of another farm I used to hunt just died back in 2012 and his son sold it off. He had 997 acres that was never posted and anyone was welcome to hunt. He never seemed to have problems with too many deer or with hunters trashing/disrespecting his property.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
242 members (12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,658 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,926
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.