thats a lot for one day.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by kappa8
Originally Posted by marktheshark
For comparison I recently got $2.5k to completely remove a 20x16 ground level main deck and 8x8 side deck, railings and 2-2 stair steps. Was going to take a skid loader with grapple bucket to do it but on further inspection it was so rotted most of the boards actually easily pulled up from the joists with a pry bar. Able to back a dump trailer within 15 feet of the decks. Using hand tools, a Stihl 025 chainsaw, cordless circular and reciprocating saws, myself and a helper had it demo'd, loaded and site cleaned up in around 4 hours. Paid the helper $25/hr, $75 to dump the debris, around 20 miles total on the truck.
Good info Mark. $2500 just for demo. Nothing comes cheap nowadays.

I did not bid that, we were doing a driveway excavation for a neighbor and that lady came over and said her contractor was not going to be able to get there for over a month to do it and she wanted it done sooner....she asked if I could do it for what he quoted and actually showed me his bid. Believe his quote included a roll off dumpster rental for around 600 that I didnt need as I used my dump trailer. She was offering me the $2500 to do it so I wasnt gonna go lower, especially since I got it done the next morning. Mind you this was also in a suburb near Philly where $400k+ houses are the norm.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Lotsa people don't even know how to put air in a tire..
One of my neighbors pays some handyman to change outdoor light bulbs for fuuuuk sakes..

Many have 0 basic life skills.

Those are the people who pay the big Benjamin's to have the simplest let alone complex schit done for them.

If they get bent over the rail while writing a check in some peoples perception.
Fugg em...
If a dude can make good money doing whatever in a expeditious professional way working for no life skill people who have money.
More power to the guy...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Craft wages alone are $54/hr on the check here.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Could have bid a million, no one is forcing the homeowner to pay that amount.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I built mine from digging the footings, to building the entire deck, including the stairs. It was about 12x12 feet and eight feet off the ground. No way I’d pay someone that much for a pretty uncomplicated job. Took me a couple weekends.

NRA Patron
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If that's what he's taking home - ok. I don't care his labor rate. What I'd be worried about as the homeowner is TCI of the job.

Is a new deck worth 11k to me? Is that number in line with the 3-4 other estimates I received?

How the sausage is made by the guy(s) doing it - IDGAF, for me it's 100% - do I want a deck at 11k? I'm paying for a result, like a salary employee. 35 hours, 45 hours - don't matter, I'm paying X for the result of that labor.

Me

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Nobody bids a job by labor, it's usually by the sq ft. 10+ bucks a sq ft for demo and rebuild is reasonable. Material costs seem low and don't include loader, dump truck and dump costs.

Business costs are 10 to 15% of gross.

Concrete costs less than decks, if I have to demo an existing slab and replace it starts at 7 bucks a sq, depending on variables.

Kent

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CashisKing
A friend of mine bid a deck rebuild job at $11,000.

He will remove and replace the wearing surface (deck that you walk on) and handrails and pickets (1,016 SF).

Materials will cost about $2,800. This leaves $8,200 for his labor. He will do the job in three days. This comes out to $2,733 per day.

Do you consider $2,733 a day to be a fair wage for skilled blue collar worker?

Your opinion please... Thanks

I'm not sure what the color of his collar has to do with it, but he could consider doing it all himself and then sharing with us the amount he saved?

.... like tears in the rain
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Like slum said price it too high and if they say yes then take it.
Ive been on both ends. Had a house fire and after getting the house done waited til next year. Our contractor treated us great on bids when building the house so we had him come back to Finisht he concrete. While he was there my wife was on me to get 2 of the 3 decks done and imagine that ,, it was my busy time so i asked him hey while your here what it cost to build these two little decks. I had the materials already there. $1500 for a 4x4 and a 10x10 deck. WOW would have bought me a gun but got her off my ass and was done in half a day

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Depends on local market conditions and how bad he needs to work.

None of us can answer those two questions.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
If customer and contractor are both happy, it is a fair wage.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Plenty of people out there with more money than brains.
Make hay when the sun shines.

Last edited by Distridr; 08/08/22.

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by krp
Nobody bids a job by labor, it's usually by the sq ft. 10+ bucks a sq ft for demo and rebuild is reasonable. Material costs seem low and don't include loader, dump truck and dump costs.

Business costs are 10 to 15% of gross.

Concrete costs less than decks, if I have to demo an existing slab and replace it starts at 7 bucks a sq, depending on variables.

Kent

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Paid a contractor renovating my bathroom $40 per hour per person. Every Friday he showed me his numbers and I paid him. This was 2018 before the pandemic and I’m sure his hourly rate has increased. Had no issues with his numbers or the work he did.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Mike_S
Paid a contractor renovating my bathroom $40 per hour per person. Every Friday he showed me his numbers and I paid him. This was 2018 before the pandemic and I’m sure his hourly rate has increased. Had no issues with his numbers or the work he did.
That’s how I built my house. I’d get a bill monthly for the crew’s labor. I’d go to the building supply store and pay the bill there for materials. No contract. This guy has since passed away. I sure miss him!

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Demo is free... lol

For concrete, demo costs are about the same as materials. 1000 Sq ft of patio is 40,000 to 50,000 lbs depending on thickness and such.

Decking may not weigh as much but still alot of volume to tear down and haul off.

Just throw it in the avalaunch and take it to the dump...

Free

Kent

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
And 3 days? Big crew...

Kent

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
A good friend does remodeling work on cabins in Tenn, one sugar momma of his that owns 5-6 cabins decided one day midstream that she was going to start paying him hourly at $30hr instead of 'by the job'
She told him this when he finished the days work.
The next day he showed up in his little car, he left his truck/trailer and most of his tools at home, only bringing his tool belt.

After an hour or two she showed up and was quite perplexed as all that he had done was getting the site prepped and ready.

When she asked about the tools and trailer for hauling materials he informed her that she didn't hire them, only him.

FJB & FJT
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
How steady are the jobs coming in for him?

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
206 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 21 invisible), 1,540 guests, and 878 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,917
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.