Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#17495836 08/08/22
G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Hello all, looking to get my post count up as well as pick some brains. Last year my wife and I went to Alaska, so naturally, I bought a Ruger Blackhawk 44 mag to take along. I stocked up on reloading components to try different loads but ended up not being able to handle the gun comfortably with even some hot factory stuff. It had the small grip but awkward grip frame which wouldn't allow for aftermarket enlarged grips. I traded it in on something else.

Fast forward to now, I'm still reloading other calibers and have all these 44 mag components so I'm looking to add to the collection. I have a 19-3 so I think a 29-2 would fit nicely next to her in the safe, but I'm worried about using her as a shooter due to collectability. I also wouldn't want to loosen it up any given I'd like to shoot the occasional hot load although nothing more than 300 grains. I wouldn't shoot it all that much, 500 rounds per year? I'm averaging about that much with the 19.

I guess I'm rambling now, at the end of the day a Blackhawk with a bisley grip would probably be my best purchase but I feel that 29-2's are going up in value and rather get one before they sky rocket. I'm also playing with the idea of a new model 29 but don't like the Hillary hole. I wouldn't mind a lever action marlin or henry in 44 mag either, is one of these better than the other for experimenting with different handloads but overall not shooting it too often throughout the year? Thanks for your opinions.

-Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun-

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Consider a Ruger Redhawk with 4-5" bbl. They too have smallish and roundish grips, so whi!e not beautiful a set of Hogues or Pachmyar grips improves pointability and comfort. Redhawks are heavy though.

S&W 629 4-5" bbl models are nice to shoot.

Marlin 1894 44 magnums have oversized groove diameter barrels at 0.4315". SAAMI stupidly have two specs for barrels: pistol barre!s are smaller at 0.429" . rifles have a larger SAAMI barrel groove spec of 0.431"+.. That larger diameter spec for rifles contributes to less-than-desired accuracy of the Marlin. A 0.429" jacketed bullet in a 0 .4315" groove diameter Marlin barrel is not a good recipe for accuracy. I've had two Marlin 44 mags ( one a micro-groove, the other a "Ballard" rifled carbine.). The Ballard rifle only started to shoot decently when I sized my NOE 432-265 cast bullet to 0.433" (essentially shot " as cast ", but lubed). Groove diameter was indeed 0.4315" on the Ballard rifled gun. Sold them both years ago because of inadequate accuracy.

Forget about "trying to increase your post count.". No prizes for high post counts. Ask legit questions, and make contributions if you have something you think will be helpful and supportive.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Thanks for the reply. I did read about accuracy problems on some of the rifles. Does this pertain to Henrys too? I suppose I need to slug my 357 big boy to find out.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If that blackhawk is stainless, it's not that much work to swap over to a Bisley frame. Mine went from on of the guns that stayed at home, to one of the guns that always went with me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got my first Ruger SBH 7 1/2" .44 mag in the late '70s. I carried it on my first Alaskan hunt (DIY for caribou) in 1980, and many years after that on elk hunts here in Montana. In 2000 my ex wife stole that pistol, and before I got it back I bought a stainless model of that same pistol. A few years ago I thought I needed a smaller .44 so I bought a S&W 629-6 with a 4" barrel.

I mostly shoot .44 Specials through it, but it has become the pistol that I shoot the most and carry the most in the woods.

I only have a couple of guns that I care about re-sale value, although I'll probably never sell them. All of my other guns I have to shoot, and if I have to change or twek something to make them fit or shoot better, I'll do it in a heartbeat.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don't think resale value should be a consideration in a purchase .. if it is, you probably should skip the purchase. Get what you need functionally.

If you think that Ruger Single Action popped you, you've got a whole nother surprising realm of uncomfortable coming when you touch off a S&W double action. The hump behind / below the hammer pounds me on the joint at the base of my thumb and bruises me up something fierce in a hurry with anything hotter than midrange .44 specials. On the other hand, I shoot hundreds of rounds in a Ruger single action in a day without any ill effects.

I don't particularly see a need for a Bisley grip frame in a .44 magnum or lighter cartridge. In the .454 and .480 it matters. The big minus to the Bisley for me is it throws the gun's balance off by making it considerably butt heavy. I have a Bisley Hunter in .44 .. it's a good shooter from a rest but it doesn't balance right, doesn't point right, and doesn't thumb-cock as naturally as a 4-5/8" or 5-1/2" super blackhawk, at least not in my hands. Nothing wrong with the accuracy, just awkward handling. For me.

If you want a DA gun I think the advice pointing you at a 5-1/2" barreled Redhawk is pretty good. Among DA guns, it is the most comfortable for me to shoot and that barrel length balances nicely.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I've shot a few N-frames that a really enjoyed. Internet research and a lot of opinions pointed me to the blackhawk. While surely a stout gun the bottom of that small grip bit into my palm.

I agree any purchase should be based on functionality and I don't really need a 44 mag for where I live, but its another cartridge, which I already have components for, to reload and try new things with. I've heard great things about the redhawk, I should really track one down to try out. Thank you for the response!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Back in the early 80's I bought a pair of 6" 629 no dash guns. After about 500 full power rounds through each gun, both started having problems with the cylinders backing up. So bad, they were basically two shot guns and that was with 240gr bullets. I'm not sure when that issue was fixed, but I don't think was until the dash 3's came out.

Edited to add, if you plan to hunt with an early Smith, you don't want the counter bored (recessed) cylinder either. Brush particles, and various other dirt and grim get down in that recess and cause problems with the rims not going all the way flush. That recess is a pain to clean.....it was just a bad idea all the way around. Early guns are not always "better".

Tony

Last edited by TonyRumore; 08/15/22.

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by TonyRumore
Back in the early 80's I bought a pair of 6" 629 no dash guns. After about 500 full power rounds through each gun, both started having problems with the cylinders backing up. So bad, they were basically two shot guns and that was with 240gr bullets. I'm not sure when that issue was fixed, but I don't think was until the dash 3's came out.

Edited to add, if you plan to hunt with an early Smith, you don't want the counter bored (recessed) cylinder either. Brush particles, and various other dirt and grim get down in that recess and cause problems with the rims not going all the way flush. That recess is a pain to clean.....it was just a bad idea all the way around. Early guns are not always "better".

This.

A 250-grain bullet at 1,100 fps is about right for a pre-Endurance Smith. That load will do almost anything you need a handgun to do.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I have put literally thousands and thousands of rounds through -2 Model 29s. People read too much and shoot too little. OP, how many Model 29s have you personally seen that have been shot to the point of being beyond repair?

Go shoot your Smith and enjoy it. That is what they were made for.

BTW,

A tall Folgers can will hold 550 rounds. Fill one up and spend a weekend emptying it, shooting at targets at extended distances:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B3

G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Now that looks fun! I don't know anyone personally who shot a smith loose. But the folks on the forums say it happens so who knows! For the amount I shoot, I think an N-frame would last me a few lifetimes.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I've had a couple. A dash 2 and a dash 3.. Neither ever became loose. I shot the -3 so much that I avoid heavy loads in it now. Mostly for me and not so much for the gun.

I doubt anything shot with it will show a difference from a load that's full throttle compared to one that's more conservative. The cartridge in my experience is so good, I have taken for granted, never once doubting it's capability.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've got an old 4" -3, bought used over 20 years ago, it's really no looser now than then. I don't run it real hard anymore, 20 grains of 2400 and a 250 Keith is my personal max for it. Years ago I did discover that a 250 and a max charge of H110 would send it into that whole differential recoil/cylinder float thing - unlatching, rolling backward, double primer strikes...I don't do that anymore.

D
D
My Alaska carry gun is a 629 an it is a late model with the Hillary hole. Any 629-3 or later will have the Endurance Package with deeper cylinder stop notches to help stop the backwards rotation of the cylinder that was problematic with some REALLY heavy loads in 29's as well as some other internal strengthening. I have a 629-6 and it is one tough revolver that comes with Hogue grips that really help with recoil. It rains on the Kenai a lot, normally, where I go and the stainless is a must IMHO. My 629 has been in the Kenai River 2 times courtesy of me slipping on rocks while fishing and I dried it out nest to the stove in the cabin, shot a cylinder full through it and had no problems. I added a green fiber optic front sight that really stands out against a dark hide, if you have time to use it, which I haven't-thankfully. My gun loves 310 gr cast bullets from a Lee mold but I use 270 gr SWC cast and powder coated. You really don't need to load your ammo to the absolute max, reliability and shootability are more important. These bullets penetrate into the next county and that's what you want for protection against big critters that bite and claw. I highly recommend the 4" 629.

Last edited by dmurf205; 08/28/22.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Agree 100% except a 329 is much more "carry friendly".

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My "perfect packing pistol" is my M-69 4.25" .44. It just works.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
D
D
It sure is
Originally Posted by UpThePole

It sure is but the more I shot one the worse I got with it. The recoil is brutal with that light of a 44...for me anyway. Fortunately, self defense doesn't usually require a box of ammo.
Like Henryseale said, the L frame 69 might be the best compromise of all, just 5 shots

Last edited by dmurf205; 08/29/22.
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Mine is 32oz with six 300gr WFN - weighs less than an empty M69. Wasn't difficult to master shooting it.
Mine has been to Alaska once and I found out that the trigger, hammer, and rear sight can rust - salt air is rough on guns.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by dmurf205
It sure is

It sure is but the more I shot one the worse I got with it. The recoil is brutal with that light of a 44...for me anyway. Fortunately, self defense doesn't usually require a box of ammo.
Like Henryseale said, the L frame 69 might be the best compromise of all, just 5 shots
Yeah, it is a five shooter. Granted, if I'm anticipating on going into combat, my 16 shot 9mm or my 11 shot .45ACP might be a better choice. However, for woods critter defense I cannot imagine that many shots of serious power .44 will be needed. I have never had the need to fend off a bear or elk, etc. at close range, but I strongly suspect that if the situation should arise I should be able to handle it with 1 or 2 shots from the .44, 3 at the most. If the problem still persists after that, I doubt seriously that I would be able to get off any more shots. That still gives me twice or maybe more of the number of usable shots available in the gun without reloading. Like I mentioned, I have never "been there and done that", but that is my thought on the subject. For those that have survived close defense combat with a bear or moose or such with a large caliber handgun, how many shots did it take?

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a SBH and a 629. I like them both. I love S&W's more than any other revolvers. But this SBH is very accurate. I've had many other 44 Mag's maybe a dozen or so. I've kept these two and will continue to do so.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
199 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 28 invisible), 2,068 guests, and 969 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.