Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Me and my younger son left early yesterday morning and made the run up to see a good friend of mine........who happens to build turkey calls. Had a GREAT visit !!! Talked turkey......turkey calls.......deer.......dogs......bears......and about a thousand other things. Rode around and checked a bunch of food plots. And the best bonus every time I go there......... I get to run about 100 of the best sounding box calls you'll ever hold in your hand. The hard part is deciding which one(s) to bring home. Yesterday, only one followed me home. A mahogany one-sider with a beech paddle. UNREAL sound !!! But there was a cedar/butternut paddle caller that I may call up and have him mail it to me. It was probably the best running paddle caller I ever held.

Then for the bonus round !!! Stopped at an ABC store on the way home and scored 4 bottles of a bourbon that I'll never lay eyes on in my home state. Win, win !!!

Long day. Lotta miles on the truck. But a GREAT day !!!!!!!

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
GB1

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Post us up.a sound file when you get it.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC
Post us up.a sound file when you get it.

I have it. But I've absolutely NO idea how to post a sound file.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Oh, wait............. You mean the paddle caller ?? Don't have that one, yet. And still not a freakin' clue as to how posting sound files works.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Two ways. The harder (but still easy) way first.

Your cell phone should have a recorder ap. The icon looks like a microphone. If not, whether its Apple or Android, you can download a recording ap from the ap store for free. I have an android and use this.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...der.audiorecorder&hl=en_US&gl=US

Literally, just open it, press record, play your box near the near the microphone that you speak into when making a call, then press stop. It automatically saves as an MP3 file. You can upload it from your phone to a sound file hosting site, or email the MP3 file to yourself so you can have it on your PC and upload it to a sound file hosting site. I use this sound file hosting site.

https://vocaroo.com/

Press upload, select the MP3 from your computer, it automatically does the rest, and then it gives you a link to the sound file, like this.

https://vocaroo.com/1j90a4CMiAgK

Second way.

Or, you just open Vocaroo, play your box near your PC mike, then press stop and then Vocaroo will give you a link to the sound file. This is easier, but you don't get to keep a copy of the sound file for yourself. And you have to give the ap permission to access your PC mike.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 08/09/22.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sounds easy (?) .......... I guess.

I'll look at it. It would be a great tool if I were making and selling calls again. Not too convinced I'm gonna start downloading apps just to appease our favorite resident troll, though.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I am with Yoder on this one, I had no clue how to do the sound file thing. Thanks 10Glocks for the info.
I use to go to the TN state duck calling championships back in the 70's and carry a cassette recorder and record the whole thing. I would then go home and try to make my duck calls do what I was hearing. At some point, I figured out that those guys sounded nothing like what a real duck sounds like, so I stopped going....lol

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Yoder409

I'll look at it. It would be a great tool if I were making and selling calls again. Not too convinced I'm gonna start downloading apps just to appease our favorite resident troll, though.

Donny Stear.......Paid by the choke tube and turkey hunting industry for decades now a cAll maker.....whO is this mystery mAn ?

Stopped at an ABC store on the way home and scored 4 bottles of a bourbon that I'll never lay eyes on in my home state. Win, win !!!

Nothing like alcohol induced visions of grandeur....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

It is easy. That's how I was able to create a sound file of that godawful squalling mess to put on my electronic call to attract coyotes. Hopefully it doesn't drive them away.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
That WAS pretty cruel.......... If animal welfare gets a hold of that, they'd have somebody's arse for doing that to a puppy.

On a lighter note..........that paddle caller that was haunting me.......... I talked to my buddy last night and again this morning. The call is in the mail !!!

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You will not know which one to use first...lol

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pullit

Well................. I kinda already had that problem. LOL !!!

The root of the problem is that box calls keep showing up at my house..........

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a buddy that buys a new rifle every year to deer hunt with. He will shoot a deer, and he is ready for another rifle.
Maybe that same thing applies to you and box calls. Use it to kill a turkey and put it away and break out another one....

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
No. Not that. I just like box calls. The VAST majority of the calls in the garage never have been to the woods nor will they, ever.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't blame you. I own a lot of rifles and hunt mainly with two of them. I get some joy from owning guns that I may never hunt with. I have a Model 70 Alaskan in .300 Win Mag. I have zero use where I live for that as a hunting gun but I love it nonetheless and will keep it in my collection. Pride of ownership is enough. I didn't draw a tag last season for Virginia's quota elk hunt. Maybe this year. If I do, I'll use this rifle.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 08/09/22.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Bear in mind......... Just because I don't HUNT a particular call for whatever reason, that DOESN'T mean it doesn't get played many, many times throughout the year. I probably run calls, on average 4-6 nights a week. I go to the garage.......slide the door closed and have at it.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I drive our dog nuts with my turkey and predator calls! Lol!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson

A pirate walks into a bar. He's got a steering wheel sticking out of his zipper. Bartender says to him, "Hey, buddy !!! You know you got a steering wheel sticking outta your zipper ??" Pirate says, "AYE !!! It's drivin' me nuts !!"

grin grin grin

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Oh boy... LOL!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

A pirate walks into a bar. He's got a steering wheel sticking out of his zipper. Bartender says to him, "Hey, buddy !!! You know you got a steering wheel sticking outta your zipper ??" Pirate says, "AYE !!! It's drivin' me nuts !!"

grin grin grin

Ah, lfc is correct…. You should have been a comedian….harr harr harr

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Our cat has been quite unimpressed with my new electronic call and decoy. I thought the decoy would light him up. He's like, whatever.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Well................. I kinda already had that problem. LOL !!!

The root of the problem is that box calls keep showing up at my house..........

And just like that............ ANOTHER ONE is on its way to my house...........

I just can NOT pass up a good call at a good price. NOW do you see my affliction ???? If I count right, that's 5 in the last 6 days.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
a turkey call whore....lol

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
a turkey call whore....lol

It's true

Lmao !!

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

I just can NOT pass up a good call at a good price. NOW do you see my affliction ???? If I count right, that's 5 in the last 6 days.

The guest for the holy grail....or what I refer to as the guy looking for the mAgic turkey call.

You missed your chance little buddy.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC

The guest for the holy grail....or what I refer to as the guy looking for the mAgic turkey call.

You missed your chance little buddy.

Well, aren't we just full of our little self this morning, eh, Luther ??? LMAO !!!

Funny thing is............ I have several boxes (or more) that what could be called "the mAgic turkey call" on sound quality. But there's more to it than that. There's a whole aspect of the place a call holds in history...........the place the maker holds or will hold.........what kind of person the maker is........the quality of workmanship...........and just flat out if it catches my attention. There's an awful lot of box calls out in the garage. I can probably count on two hands how many of them have ever seen the woods. Funny thing is......... I call in the woods 90% with a diaphragm and 10% with a box.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Only box call I use is the big ol call from Dick Kirby, I like the size and the sound, it really reaches out. Other than that, I only use diaphram calls.

While collecting turkey calls isn't my thing, it sounds like it's yours and I'm glad you enjoy it!

NRA life member

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Only box call I use is the big ol call from Dick Kirby, I like the size and the sound, it really reaches out.

Guessing you're referring to one of the Quaker Boy boat paddle calls. Most of them are overall pretty decent sounding calls. Yep. Dick also made a few paddle callers called "Road Warrior". Those are so big they could probably be designated as destructive devices. LOL !!! They sound like a seal in pain. But they're a neat part of Quaker Boy history.

While collecting turkey calls isn't my thing, it sounds like it's yours and I'm glad you enjoy it!

I consider myself more of an "accumulator" than a "collector". While I have a good many calls that could be considered collectible......... I have a good many that can't. It's still relaxing to sit in the garage and play a bunch of different boxes in the evening.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Oh, yeah............ The cedar/butternut paddle caller that was giving me fits came in the mail today. I can sleep tonight. grin

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Ah yes, all is well when the mail finally brings the package and we know it is safe.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ah yes, all is well when the mail finally brings the package and we know it is safe.

Yeah............

There's another one. Irreplaceable call. Coming from California and it's been bouncing around suburbs of Dallas for a couple days. I'm a little nervous.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I call in the woods 90% with a diaphragm and 10% with a box.

10%.....you're a box call tOp water.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC
10%.....you're a box call tOp water.

Whatever THAT means................. I'm pretty sure my feelings are hurt. grin

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I still don't know wHat is with the capital letters iN the middle of your wOrds? What is that supposed to mean?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I think it means he's a tOp watEr tyPist.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The mixed caps are just kinda my signature way of putting emphasis on words.

I've noticed over the years that they bother some folk....seems the looser their sCrews the more it bothers them.

YoderbOy a "tOp water" is likened to a little guppy swimming in a big pond oblivious to the real world around him.....

90%.....10%.....do I need to spell it out for you tOp water ?

Don't feel bad a lot of your bOx call herOs making them don't hit 10%.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC
The mixed caps are just kinda my signature way of putting emphasis on words.

I've noticed over the years that they bother some folk....seems the looser their sCrews the more it bothers them.

YoderbOy a "tOp water" is likened to a little guppy swimming in a big pond oblivious to the real world around him.....

90%.....10%.....do I need to spell it out for you tOp water ?

Don't feel bad a lot of your bOx call herOs making them don't hit 10%.

I gotcha. Kinda the opposite of a leaf mouse.

Not sure how an overall 90/10 qualifies me for your award, but............whatever. I've seen you run a diaphragm, so I totally get it why your box call percentage would run much higher than mine.

BTW................ Who ARE my "bOx call herOs" ???

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Only thing I care about impressing with any call is a tom. I've found, over the years, calls that sound good to people, don't always sound good to a turkey and visas versa. Another reason I don't put much stock in calling contests. They tend to be more "political" than anything else. Just my own opinion... But I can only guess my neighbors conversations with each other that are within earshot of my house! Lol! Turkey calling, predator calling... When I'm processing any game in our garage, my wife insists I keep the garage door closed. And plastic garbage bags, put out on garbage day, with bloody bones sticking through them, get me looks and I'm sure some gossip! Haha!

NRA life member

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Top wAter what you saw and heard was me testing diaphrams that had been in the freezer....I was essentially picking out my litter for spring.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
In tough times the better you are at calling the better your chances of success.

What happens with people like Top wAter that set around and play calls too much is they convince themselves they sound good....

Top wAter types a good show but I'd put the chance of him putting up a video of himself calling at less than zerO %....

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC
Top wAter what you saw and heard was me testing diaphrams that had been in the freezer....I was essentially picking out my litter for spring.

OK

Friendly tip: Don't do it in front of a camera and put it on YouTube next time. wink

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Yea right...

Check out some of my other videOs girl friend.

Made this video second day of Mississippi season....just propped my phone on a tree limb and made it as an inside joke to a friend of mines wife. (one year I got off to a slow start killing turkeys and she commented that my calling must have went sour....)

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/9rO6xNMvh4E

Girl friend all the videos on my channel were made with my cell phone easily loaded to yOutube.....even someone as dumb and mentally deranged as you should be able to do it.

If you have any bAlls that iz.......

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by LFC
In tough times the better you are at calling the better your chances of success.

What happens with people like Top wAter that set around and play calls too much is they convince themselves they sound good....

Top wAter types a good show but I'd put the chance of him putting up a video of himself calling at less than zerO %....

Girl friend has no bAlls...

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Your pleas pull at my heartstrings, Luther. They really do............

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I will say that you play a suction caller better than I do. But I own a grand total of one and I've run it about twice. So I can't help you with your trumpet calling. But maybe you could reach out to Ralph Permar or Zach Farmer or Marlin Watkins. Guys who are really good at it. Shame we lost Lewis Stowe. DANG, but that boy could run a trumpet caller !!!

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I could make Farmer run for cover when I pulled my call out around him....did it more than once screwing with him.

Ha...all you named are tOp wAters with a trumpet call.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Maybe tOp wAters..............but all of them more talented at running a trumpet call than what you've demonstrated thus far.

I think I need to get me a decent trumpet and give it a go.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You probably be good at sucking...

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have another youtube channel that I lost access to when my computer wet the bed and I got another email address....

This is just a video demonstrating the different sounds that can be made on a trumpet call....I'm not trying to call a turkey.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
In thus video I was originally facing the camera as soon as started playing the box call a hen answered me and I scooted around the tree to face her. You can't hear her on this cheap Roam camera but she was constantly talking and came in pretty close.

Grow a set girl friend and make us a videO

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC
....I'm not trying to call a turkey.

Good thing.

Never hear a real hen slur her yelps that bad before about the 6th or 8th beer.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Post us up a videO Girl friend.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC
You probably be good at sucking...

I really just wanna be friends. But I'm flattered.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 264mag, 160user, 2500HD, 66 invisible), 2,335 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,656
Posts18,455,599
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.