Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Last month a Southwest 737 made a hard landing on a short runway in Santa Ana, CA`. It was so hard that a flight attendant in a jump seat at the back of the plane suffered a COMPOUND fracture of a vertebra. That takes a serious bounce to break like that.

BROKEN BACK

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some of the antique flight attendants these days break bones sneezing. If no one else in the whole plane suffered any injury it speaks to the condition of the victim more than anything.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
And it's Southworst, what do you expect. Sheesh, my wife is on a Southworst flight right now, I need to head for the airport.At least shes not going into that airport.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Southwest has the reputation of being the cowboys of the sky. I know a few pilots on other carriers who have remarked on Southwest’s push to be on time regardless of weather conditions etc. One friend said he’s seen them fly through pretty bad weather rather than losing 10-15 minutes by flying around it.

Maybe this attitude translates to aggressive landings too, who knows?

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Last month a Southwest 737 made a hard landing on a short runway in Santa Ana, CA`. It was so hard that a flight attendant in a jump seat at the back of the plane suffered a COMPOUND fracture of a vertebra. That takes a serious bounce to break like that.

BROKEN BACK

Compound fracture??!! I doubt it. If the landing was hard enough to induce an actual compound fracture, the F/A's back wouldn't have been the only thing to break. The airplane would've broke as well. F/A probably had a pre-existing condition.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by badger
Southwest has the reputation of being the cowboys of the sky. I know a few pilots on other carriers who have remarked on Southwest’s push to be on time regardless of weather conditions etc. One friend said he’s seen them fly through pretty bad weather rather than losing 10-15 minutes by flying around it.

come on just cause they are based out of Love Field...
by the way which president did the secret service call "Cowboy"?

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wbyfan1

BROKEN BACK

Compound fracture??!! I doubt it. If the landing was hard enough to induce an actual compound fracture, the F/A's back wouldn't have been the only thing to break. The airplane would've broke as well. F/A probably had a pre-existing condition.
But, but, but... she had to make it job-related for the insurance.

Last edited by Sitka deer; 08/10/22. Reason: Friggin' autocorrect! Mob to job?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

BROKEN BACK

But, but, but... she had to make it mob-related for the insurance.
Workmans Comp/Permanent Disability...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
One other factor is that the jump seats the cabin attendants use are nowhere near as impact resistant as those for the paying customers.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Probably an ex-navy flier and wanted to catch that 3 wire.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
IC B3

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
(C) on X, HIM - IC, CDTL….No grade
Navy guys will get it. 😊

Last edited by navlav8r; 08/09/22.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe, Sum Ting Wong was the pilot?

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

BROKEN BACK

Thank you. I have worked lots of fractured vertebrae, never saw a compound fracture of a vertebra. No passengers were injured? She had a pre existing condition.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
But, .................................. the rear of the plane is safest in a crash, right ?

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
This one calls it a COMPRESSION fracture. Huge difference. Also, they didn't diagnose it until she reached the hospital. I can't believe that EMT's wouldn't see the blood associated with a compound fracture.

DALLAS (AP) — A Southwest Airlines flight attendant suffered a compression fracture to a vertebra in her upper back during a hard landing last month in California, according to federal safety investigators.

The National Transportation Safety Board said the impact of landing was so hard that the flight attendant thought the plane had crashed. She felt pain in her back and neck and could not move, and was taken to a hospital where she was diagnosed with the fracture.

The safety board completed its investigation without saying what caused the hard landing.

The NTSB said none of the other 141 people on board the plane were injured in the incident at John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana, California.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That's more like it. Compression fracture.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I was ramping for AkAir in Kotzebue when I heard the 2nd officer tell the flight attendant (after they landed 3 times on one approach- it was a bit rough out there!): "Well, we DO get one more chance (Anchorage) to make a good landing today". smile

Last edited by las; 08/09/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Originally Posted by badger

come on just cause they are based out of Love Field...
by the way which president did the secret service call "Cowboy"?

No idea. Who was it?

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Pushing back from a gate at the end of a concourse in ABQ. Southwest is deeper in the alley and calls for taxi. Ground control tells Southwest to follow us to the runway. Southwest taxis between our nose and the end of the concourse sweeping our push crew with their exhaust while we are still pushing back. Then there is the Southwest B737 that stopped at a gas station in Burbank after running off the runway on landing and ripping through the perimeter fence.
Yep, they are legendary. They were paid by the flight segment not by the flight time like everybody else.
Quit picking on flight attendants. I was standing in the cockpit door next to a mature lead flight attendant as passengers were getting off the aircraft. The First Officer pranged one on and a passenger commented on the landing. I was about to explain that a good landing was any landing you could walk away from but a great landing was one you could reuse the aircraft but the lead beat me too it. She said "What are you bitching about. Your clothes aren't on fire are they?" The passenger started laughing and I bought the Lead dinner.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No pics of cutie-pie flight attendant with sore back?

booooo!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,566
Posts18,453,797
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.