Print Thread
Hop To
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Took a long time family friend fishing this morning. Couldn’t have picked a better day; showers off & on all day yesterday ridded us of the humidity so weather was stellar. We were on the water early, fishing the river I grew up on in the area I knew best. It’s changed a ton but the toothy critters that were in sparser numbers back then are all over the place now.

Judah got on the board with a nice little hammer handle, his first northern ever:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

He really hasn’t fished much at all so it was a great time stoking his enthusiasm, and the fish even cooperated!

Wasn’t too much further upstream that I got on the board with a freshwater barracuda of my own; one that was a little bigger than those I’ve caught in this area earlier this year but not an alpha by any stretch:

We got into some largemouth water and I caught a couple dinks but Judah scored a decent one on his gold #5 Mepps:

We could have gone home pretty happy right there but we were working some shadows and I “one eyed jack” on a spinner bait; note his dead eye:

We kept going upstream but had no luck and started getting thirsty & hungry. I threw the net and my rods behind me set on getting to the take out. We floated by a cold-looking trib creek and I decided I ought to work the area below it. I started chuckin the 3/4 oz spinner bait I caught my 2nd pike on and had a big one appear out of no where smackin it but not sucking it in.

And this is why I love northern and smallmouth; they just don’t GAS. Trout whip out a freakin magnifying glass to inspect yer lure 45 min after the pool calms from you wading into it. Largemouth look up at ya as yer wacky rigged “magic worm” squirms across his nose. Hook any of em, smallmouth included, and they’re down a while.

I Chuck it back in front of him and WHAM! Zzzzzzz fish on; best of the day!!! We both get excited but i quickly realize how dumb it was to stash the net behind me (Judah was in front)!! I was struggling to keep my rod tip up and get the net and he got off!!!!

Not to be deterred we fished our way down and just as we were getting super close to the take out Judah hooked his second pike of the day! This was super exciting… he kept his rod tip up, let him run when he needed to, and guided him to the net. I got a few extra pics to celebrate:

We went out to lunch and hit another stretch of river briefly before heading home to “real life” but we decided we’ve gotta get more time on the water before he starts his sophomore year of college.

Judah’s family and ours were in a small group at church when we found out our oldest son was to be born. Judah is just a couple weeks older than my son so my wife and his mom experienced pregnancy together, and I’ve known him all his life. I was his catechism teacher and he and my son play on various jazz ensembles around town. When I found out he wanted to fish I was pretty excited to be able to show him the ropes a bit.

It’s unbelievable watching these boys… our babies… grow into fine gentlemen. So cool that they have a lasting friendship and continue to connect. Super cool when the old guy gets to hang and get to know the younger a little better. There have been men like that in my boys life and it means a ton because they can say things (or really more like be heard) in ways my boys don’t hear me.

Awesome day; thanks for reading!

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Sweet!

Great stuff...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Raising them right!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good on you Buddy !!

smile

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
He FaceTimed me last night with a question on rigging; was going out by himself.

This morning before I was up he texted me a pic of a largemouth he’d caught in a neighborhood pond that said “breakfast”.

He’s hooked wink

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Congrats on a good day, caught some fish and got a family friend interested in fishing. Hard to improve on that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fantastic- you are both lucky folks. Would rather read your stuff than headlines that's for sure.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Looks like y'all had a good day nice fish.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1eyedmule, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 62 invisible), 2,840 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,707
Posts18,456,861
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.