Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I had open heart surgery in July 2020, 4 bypasses. Dr said NO shooting for 12 weeks. Well our MLD season open about 8 days before the 12 weeks were up. Told a knowledgeable friend what I wanted to do and he suggested a rifle load for me. Loaded up about 30 and headed to the range with my warden (wife). She said she was going to shoot several rounds before I did. She did her thing and said " here shoot all you want, it's not going to hurt you at this point of the game" Killed a nice 6pt about 45 minutes into the season. Best of Luck Daniel

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by texas_hawg
So I’ve gotten the bad news that shoulder surgery is happening and will be in mid September. Torn rotator cuff and bone spur to be fixed. Right shoulder and i shoot right handed. I figure duck hunting for this year is done but wondering if I can be ready for Missouri rifle season in November. Doc said he wouldn’t advise shooting until late November, which deer season would be over. Got a couple nice bucks on camera and if I’m not in my stand my brother or brother in law will shoot them. LOL

So the question is for those who have had shoulder surgery. Is it likely I can be shooting in November. Usually use 6.5 creedmoor but thinking about going to .223 and 70ish grain bullet.

Thoughts from the experts?

Was in same boat as you but hurt mine being a former pitcher and lost my shot with the Dodgers due to it. I shot a A-bolt II Medallion 7 mag with the CR Boss (not loud but all thump) with no problem since 1996 up until 3 years ago when I started having issues. It wouldn't hurt while shooting, but if i spent extensive time at the range, it would ache later that evening. So I went to a Tikka T3 308, added a limbsaver and no more issues. I also had a 20" Rem 700 308 that was custom built on the 700 action but was a little heavy, but virtually no kick. So you could get a slightly heavier setup to help with recoil as well.

But as others said, you should be fine after surgery. In my case I'm 50 and it started to catch up with me.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I had the same surgery last April. I was shooting a light weight recurve (35#) in 6 weeks. By week 10, I was back to my regular bow.
Follow directions, do the PT.
If you have to, you can always try a lighter caliber and see how the shoulder takes it. The 6.5 is really light recoil so I suspect you will be fine.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
talking a little more about your shoulder surgery, my last shoulder surgery from a bad fall doctor said to me the sooner you have the surgery the better it will turn out. this maybe something to thing about ? the AR lower is a good thought or just buy a new rifle in a AR platform. good luck with that surgery,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Again thanks for everyone’s feedback. Going to put off the surgery until thanksgiving. That’ll give me a chance to hunt Missouri rifle season but recover enough to still do some planned dad/daughter stuff in spring with my daughter who is a senior in high school this year.

Going to practice some off hand shooting as well so if I get a chance in December to take a buck down here in Texas I’ll be ready.

Thanks y’all

Good is not good when better is expected. ~ Thomas Fuller
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

694 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 3,068 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,209
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.