Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Question then. 3-5 riders already in an intersection I'll stay stopped let'em roll its 5 folks no problem.10-50? I'll just ease out foot off brake no gas just a "hey the lights changed might want to stop before you become a stastic." No aggression on my part just nice easy roll. 89.5% will stop them others wont....until those 302 cubic inches and 4495 lbs gently but firmly explain that no matter how loud you cuss me and say bad things about my mother them laws of physics are unbreakable. So take your spandex your foul mouth and just run me over good. Hasn't happened probably never will.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by smokepole
I just got a new bike a month ago and it's been great to get back into bike riding. I'm not what you'd call a cyclist, don't own any spandex, and don't like to ride on the road with traffic. It's just great exercise, easy on the old knees, and more fun than most other forms of exercise. I read the cycling threads on here, and the way they usually go is a bunch of posters telling the cyclists they're idiots for riding on the road with vehicles, don't understand the laws of physics, and so on and so forth. Which I kind of agree with to a point and that's why I don't like riding on the road. You never know what a driver is going to do or even if they see you. All it takes is one driver looking at their cell phone and a cyclist is toast.

So I ride in a local state park, off road on their paved trails. The trails are concrete and 8 or 9 feet wide, wide enough to comfortably pass other riders and walkers as long as everyone understands they need to leave enough room on the left to pass. Riders understand this but walkers don't. I've had people walking toward me three abreast, looking right at me and just stand there blocking the trail. Or walking the same way I'm riding, walking down the middle of the trail with earbuds so they can't hear anything behind them. Or the woman today, walking down the center of the trail with her back to me yakking on her phone, not hearing me as I ride up behind her saying "passing on your left" until I'm actually passing on her left and she pivots to the left right in front of me so I had to lock up both wheels and skid off the trail.

What is it with these lame brains? The traffic on the trails is about 75% cyclists and 25 % walkers, you'd think after about the 30th cyclist passed them a light would go on and they'd say to themselves, "there's a lot of bikers out here, I need to pay attention so I don't get run over." You know, the laws of physics and all that.

And the thing is, every single one of these idiots drove an automobile to the park.

Recreation and traffic doesn't register to walkers or bike riders; play time, breaking a record or becoming the next Lance Armstrong (or Flex Armsrtrong) comes in second to industry and commerce along a modern roadway and now (apparently) a bike path.

I hope all of you asshats get run over or collide with each other or at least stay off of the highways and by ways and sort out your "recreation" on your own paved paths. I'm not surprised you've found karma there...

If I was on a jury where a tractor trailer driver ran over 75 bike riders on a highway I'd be on their side 9 out of ten times, and that's being courteous.
Joggers on a bike path seems just desserts for the imbeciles.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Right on cue. Who could've predicted that?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
"My screwing around isn't taken seriously"- who couldn't have predicted that....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You're one of those people not smart enough to walk on the right, aren't you.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HawkI
Recreation and traffic doesn't register to walkers or bike riders

I wonder how many of the 40,000 motorists killed each year are on the road for recreational reasons...going on vacation, going to a movie, going to a football game, going hunting. Is it funnier when they die than it is when someone going to work dies? I know it's funnier when a bicyclist riding to work dies than it is when a motorist on the road for recreational reasons dies, but I am still trying to get the hierarchy/priority of road users thing down.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by smokepole
On a less serious note, have you found that you get into kind of a Zen-like mental space on rides?

No, I'm always breathing too hard for any of that kind of sh*t.

Haha, it is good for thinking, planning the rest of the day, thinking about what I need to get done, etc.

Mind clearing for sure.

Why don't you too [bleep] get a room and let the men talk about diesel trucks.

LOL

If your woman wasn't uglier than goat scrotum, I'd ask I'd invite her to join.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
goodam bicyclists are fugking everything up.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bicyclists are dangerous and don't obey the law.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 08/10/22.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The problem I see with bikers, of which I am one of occasionally, is their organizations.
They are a large ambitious group who will take over public properties that were paid for and or improved by smaller, possibly less organized groups- even to the point of excluding that group.

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
For bringing out the hate, bike threads are only rivaled by Leupold threads. 😂

laissez les bons temps rouler
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by battue
For bringing out the hate, bike threads are only rivaled by Union threads. 😂
😉 👌 🤣

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bike a lot. Behind locked gates on public hunting/fishing land. It's all ebike now but I pedaled when I had an intact spine. I also walk a lot. To be honest, I wish I could walk everywhere I needed to go but that's not realistic or viable where I currently live.

I have no problem with any groups of people - that's just asinine - trying to apply some trait or another to a group just because they look a certain way. People are all individuals and there's good and bad ones in any group. People screwing with their phones are far and away more dangerous than any others currently.

Luckily, the people who approve road design here require bike lanes in town and graded shoulders in the rural areas where the bike idiots (those who share the same space with motor vehicles) can bail off the pavement when the soccer mom idiots with a texting habit and an 8 thousand pound suburban decides to kill everything in her path. The state I moved from last was the absolute pits about that - no room to even walk on the shoulder of most roads, let alone fit a bike doing 30 with a badly spooked pilot.

I'm glad you don't ride with traffic - I'm sad the walking idiots are trying to injure you. You need a really loud horn. Give 'em a little beep, if no response, lay down on it and spook the piss out of them. Just be ready to calmly explain why you had to do so if you speak to them. If calmly doesn't work - be prepared to defend yourself.

https://www.amazon.com/Hornit-dB140...&hvtargid=pla-1504825790608&th=1

Reading the reviews on that horn are entertaining as hell.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
goodam bicyclists are fugking everything up.

By my count there are at least 4 lane-splitters in that pic..............

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

( . Y . )
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
'...pregnant women are not aero...'

( . Y . )
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

( . Y . )
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Obviously pedestrians have right of way, courteous or not, ironic as it may be.

Kent

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I started bike touring (multi-day) in 1976. I've always loved bikes and biking. But I've got to say, as a group, bikers are the the most privileged, entitled, self absorbed snobs of any sporting group I've witnessed. They seem want everything their own way. Want to break traffic laws when it suits them, but want the same respect as auto traffic when it suits them. And of course, riding abreast on dangerous roads, riding like maniacs on public trails, etc., etc., ad nauseum. Of course all that is a big generalization, and there are many exceptions, but I think it's true of more than 50%...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (6mmbrfan, 7mm_Loco, 14idaho, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 12 invisible), 1,561 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.