Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
The Bald Eagles are killing them. I have proof.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

In my neck of the woods, the turkeys are bigger than the eagles and fight back.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JamesJr
The Bald Eagles are killing them. I have proof.

In my neck of the woods, the turkeys are bigger than the eagles and fight back.

They're fighting over the whiskey.

I have no doubt turkeys fight back. But the flight abilities and hardware on an eagle trump the turkey's. And the proliferation of eagles must be having an impact. I saw so many eagles last spring season, more than I'd ever seen in the past. We have so many eagle here in southestern Virginia. A few years ago I saw one attack a Blue Heron in the top of a cypress tree, drive it off, and carry away the Heron poult.

In fact, the numbers of raptors of all kinds have exploded. Even small Coopers Hawks will take poults and I see those every day. They're everywhere. I saw a Coppers Hawk tailing two crows, catch up underneath, pull an Immelman. and snatch a crow and try to carry it off in the direction it had just come. I find feathers in my yard all the time from Cooper Hawk attacks on doves.

Given all the raptors out there, its amazing turkey poults survive at all.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I guess I'm skewing your numbers, no bait here. And it's totally up to you whether you use a tool that's available or not, but please be careful you don't fall off that tall soapbox you like to stand on. My 2 trail cameras serve more purpose that to see what wonders by. They help me monitor the 2 legged varmints that wonder by too.... which, unfortunately, is an issue lately.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Years ago, I saw a red tailed hawk either catch, or try to catch a poult. The hen flew after the hawk, and I have never seen a turkey fly that fast or that high. We don't have many eagles here, but do have an overabundance of hawks. Growing up on a farm that had a large flock of chickens, my grandfather had a rule............if it would catch a chicken, you killed it. Back before they became protected, we shot every hawk we saw.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I see occassional Red Tailed Hawks. I see far more eagles. And smaller Cooper Hawks. And we have a metric shytload of Barred Owls around here. And those owl very much will hunt in the day.

As far as raccoons, this area is proliferating with them. Not only will they kill poults, they are capable for killing adult turkeys and fawns. The Va DWR says raccoons are the #1 predators of fawns. I've seen them go across my property at night in groups, and they are as big, bigger than the foxes I'm seeing.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 08/21/22.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I keep the dog proof coon traps out year round. I caught 2 coons and 2 possums in the past week. It's illegal to that according to the trapping season, but if I don't my place will be overrun with them. The coons will devastate a sweet corn patch, and both coons and possums prey on my chickens.

The state game and fish people need to wise up and allow the taking of these predators on a year round basis.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
hav-a-heart trap, catch and shoot.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Given all the raptors out there, its amazing turkey poults survive at all.

No lie there...........

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Never heard of a racoon killing a turkey big or small or a fawn.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LFC
Never heard of a racoon killing a turkey big or small or a fawn.

Some of the local Mennonites raise turkeys on a contract, pasture raised birds. They do it so whoever processes and sells them can call them organic or some kind of crap like that. Anyway, they have problems with predators, including coons, and having seen a coon kill a full grown chicken, I have no doubt they could take a pretty good sized turkey.

Now, a fawn is another matter. I've never seen or heard of it happening.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Plenty of turkey broods in the east-central part of Minnesota. I get around from the Cities to Duluth and see at least a couple every day. I chased up one brood of about a dozen from the yard at the cabin when I went to mow the trails. Just yesterday I ran across three groups of combined broods numbering from about 15 to more than 30. Bachelor groups are regularly seen running around 10 birds in each group.

I lost two nests to predators, likely raccoons, this spring. I haven't seen any signs of a raccoon taking a turkey but I have seen two instances over the last 30 years where an otter tried. Neither time was the otter successful but there were a lot of feathers. Around here, fox seem to be the real problem where it comes to predation of turkeys. Find a fox den and one will find the remains of a fair number of ground nesting birds. One will find far fewer signs of bird predation around a coyote den but one will find fox remains (and cat too).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A newborn fawn weighs under 10 lbs and won't move when approached by a predator. Raccoons can go over 20 lbs and would have no problem killing a fawn. I remember a DWR study done some years ago, when they were the DGIF, that suggested where there were bears, they and bob cats were the biggest predators of fawns. Where neither existed in any numbers, raccoons were.

https://www.mossyoak.com/our-obsession/blogs/predator/war-with-turkey-predators

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Damn! A coon kill a fawn? I never considered that but I know coons are thicker than fleas on a dogs back around here....nobody hunts them anymore, I only know 1 coon hunter now....Hb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anyone that thinks raccoons are just trash can raiders and egg eaters are discounting the fact that they are efficient and capable preadators in their own right capable of taking down an animal at least their own weight. I doubt a newborn fawn weighs as much as this iquana.

I've seen raccoons on my property running acros my front yard 2 and 3 at a time, with some so tall that they would come up to my knee.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Knee high coons....you're Nuttz as usual

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have had guides on pheasant hunts tell me that coons there get to be in the 30 pound range and will tear up a bird dog. I did shoot one out there while hunting, they were WAY bigger than any I have seen around my house.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
raccoons can be dang nasty here in Minnesota sometimes, a friend shot a raccoon years ago that weighed over 60 lbs but the record raccoon weighed 75 lbs. i have shot them 30-40 lbs at least once a year . i went to using a 22 K-Hornet just because a raccoon is tuff to kill sometimes .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC
Knee high coons....you're Nuttz as usual

Maybe if you owned a game camera or went out at night, you might not be so ataken back at someone saying they can be as tall as the knee. It's really not uncommon at all. They can, and do, get bigger than a lot of people think. They aren't just fuzzy, cute, widdle aminals.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 08/22/22.
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by pullit
I have had guides on pheasant hunts tell me that coons there get to be in the 30 pound range and will tear up a bird dog. I did shoot one out there while hunting, they were WAY bigger than any I have seen around my house.
A coon will whip most any dog that screws with it...I guess you guys never saw a coon dog fight.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I use to coon hunt a lot in my teen's and early 20's so yes, I have seen a coon fight a dog. Never seen coons as big as they have in SD around the woods we hunted in TN.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,667 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,216
Posts18,466,311
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.