-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As far as game cameras go, it's nice to be able to see the traffic on your property when you sleepin'.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
The elephant in the room few people talk about is poaching.

“He had five-gallon buckets full of turkey beards. There were more turkey beards than any one person could legally harvest in a lifetime,” said Kekic. “There was an 8-foot by 8-foot shed in his back yard that was full floor to ceiling with deer antlers.”

Wasn't there a feller on here that threw away 5 gallon buckets full of turkey beArds ?

One thing for sure glOckhead you'll never have to worry about being a pOacher.

Why ?

Because.....you can't kill anything legal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Actually, everything I kill is legal. What I don't do is kill 30 turkeys in a year (IF that actually happened), brag about it, then whine about decreasing turkey numbers.

BTW, try and get out some more. Maybe your notions about all raccoon being no bigger than mice might be corrected.

Anyways, I'm off. Shooting clays again today. Shooting clays, Luther, that means actually going outside and doing something.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Shooting clays again today.

What's your clay bustin' gun, Glocks ??

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just got back. I've been using my new Browning Citori White Lightning 12 g 26".

Scored 18/25 on the wobble stand, 16/25 on the 5 stand, and 68/100 on the course.

My shooting buddy shot the course using his CZ 20g semi auto. He had just gotten the gun back from CZ for failure to cycle issues. Had something to with the carrier they said. It's not fixed, he was having failures to cycle all day long. We were shooting 2 shots, 2nd shot on report (I guess that's what you call it), he was missing a lot of the second clays due to the failure to cycle. So back to CZ it's going. He switched to a CZ 12g o/u on the wobble and 5-stand and did much better.

It was terribly hot today. Not bad in the shade, but in the sun it was wicked hot and humid.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Clay games can be frustrating, humbling... maddening! Even more so when equipment doesn't work as intended and designed.

One course we were shooting on, they used these little black targets through the shade of the trees. None of us could see them at all! Lol! We could hear the trap release, but that was it.

I was successful enough at hitting the rabbit station consistantly enough that the staff called me "an ol ground swatter"! Lol!

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 08/25/22.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Scored 18/25 on the wobble stand, 16/25 on the 5 stand, and 68/100 on the course.

My shooting buddy shot the course using his CZ 20g semi auto. He had just gotten the gun back from CZ for failure to cycle issues. Had something to with the carrier they said. It's not fixed, he was having failures to cycle all day long. We were shooting 2 shots, 2nd shot on report (I guess that's what you call it), he was missing a lot of the second clays due to the failure to cycle. So back to CZ it's going. He switched to a CZ 12g o/u on the wobble and 5-stand and did much better.

It was terribly hot today. Not bad in the shade, but in the sun it was wicked hot and humid.

Sounds like some pretty good shooting. I can’t hit anything moving with a shotgun being that I’m right handed and left eye dominant. I tried once or twice and it was pitiful.

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

I'd love to try some of the other games someday. All I ever shoot is registered trap from the 16 and 27. Mostly the 16. I can do OK with that. Living out here in the sticks, a few local clubs have nice trap houses. But the nearest sporting clays course is probably an hour or more away.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
don't do it, sporting clays is a deep and winding rabbit hole...lol.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pullit
don't do it, sporting clays is a deep and winding rabbit hole...lol.

Awwwwwwww.................. Just once won't hurt, will it ?? grin

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
That is what I said, now, two Kreighoff's, a heavily modified golf cart and trailer, and lots of chokes later, I can tell you it is a slippery slope.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can see how you'd sink down that hole, fast. Last time I was at our big shooting/hunting store in Richmond (Green Top) I started fondling a Ceasar Gureini and a Perazzi sporting gun and started wondering how I could swing one of those.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pullit
That is what I said, now, two Kreighoff's, a heavily modified golf cart and trailer, and lots of chokes later, I can tell you it is a slippery slope.

No worries, then !!! I couldn't AFFORD the Kreighoffs and rig. grin

Need to be like a buddy of mine.......... He used to go to The Grand and Reno and about 6-8 state shoots. He shoots a Seitz, a Ljutic, a Kreighoff and Perazzis. I think most of them were given to him in sponsorship or some kind of deal like that. That'd be a sweet gig, huh ??

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
I was successful enough at hitting the rabbit station consistantly enough that the staff called me "an ol ground swatter"! Lol!

I usually do fairly well on rabbits. This time they had a stand that had a rabbit roll straight out from a machine that was next to the shooting box. So all you saw was the clay rolling away in profile. That was was maddening. A clay in profile is a pretty thin target.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson

I usually do fairly well on rabbits. This time they had a stand that had a rabbit roll straight out from a machine that was next to the shooting box. So all you saw was the clay rolling away in profile. That was was maddening. A clay in profile is a pretty thin target.

All this sounds like fun.

Couple questions.....

Do you start with your gun at the "ready" position in SC or in a "down" position ?? Is a shorter barrelled, "quicker handling" gun better than a longer gun ??

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First, I only shoot for fun. Second, when you shoot for fun you can start in either position, since whatever rules for that don't really apply. I always start with the gun down, in a port arms sort of position. I've tried both and I find I'm not as jerky or snap shooty, not shooting too soon, or whatever you call it, when I have to shoulder the gun for the first shot. I hit more when I start from the down position. I also like to shoot the second shot on report, where I don't say "pull" but rather the switch operator throws the second clay as soon as he hears my first shot. The gun is still shouldered but the clay is coming from an entirely different area so that helps with me not shooting too soon.

I shoot my Citori with 26" barrels. It's a hunting gun and not a clays gun. The guys I see on the course that are really good shooters and shooting longer barreled guns. Pullit will chime in. He knows way more about it than I do and knows the rules, terminology and can give better advice than I can.

I was introduced to sporting clays more than 20 years ago by a fella that's a class A shooter. I did it a few times with my old Beretta 390 then sort of fell out of it until recently when I got my new Citori then decided to try it again. This was my second time out in the last couple of months. It's fun.

They guy I shoot with is a dedicated bird hunter. He's a dove, quail and partridge hunter, and usually goes to Mexico every couple of years. He's a good bird hunter, but he's not that great at sporting clays. Tells me sporting clays is way harder than hitting birds.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 08/26/22.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I start with a low gun most of the time. I will go ahead and put the gun on my shoulder if it is a fast moving close up target. In a tournament, you can "pre-mount" your gun if you want to unless you are shooting Fitacs, The rules for that are, you can not mount the gun until the bird is visible by you and the score keeper/judge. I got a warning at one shoot for mounting my gun too early. I am 6'4" and the judge was maybe 5'3", I told him I could see the bird just fine and that he needed to get a box to stand on (kidding of course). He never questioned my mounts again.

I shot tournaments for several years but have not shot them in about 5 or 6 years. I would rather go to the range with some friends and have a good time that to shoot tournaments

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Actually, everything I kill is legal. What I don't do is kill 30 turkeys in a year (IF that actually happened), brag about it, then whine about decreasing turkey numbers.

BTW, try and get out some more. Maybe your notions about all raccoon being no bigger than mice might be corrected.

Anyways, I'm off. Shooting clays again today. Shooting clays, Luther, that means actually going outside and doing something.

I'm outside or in my shop making or working on something everyday....and unlike yOu when I go hunting I usually kill something.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
As far as game cameras go, it's nice to be able to see the traffic on your property when you sleepin'.

Think its a good idea to feed wildlife in your back yard ?

You might get tempted like yoderbOy did this past spring and shoot something off the back pOrch

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC
I'm outside or in my shop making or working on something everyday

Keep at it, maybe one day you'll produce a call as good as a Zach Farmer or a Christopher Brumfeil. By the way, do you have to pay a royalty to other call makers when you copy their designs?

....and unlike yOu when I go hunting I usually kill something.

Mostly time, no doubt. Helps you come up with blithering nonsense like the "accidentally killed 30 turkeys" in one year. And didn't you also claim you killed 7 turkeys when you were scootching around the forest on cruthces after a hip replacement?

Of all the people I've seen on any forum of any type, ever, I think you are the fullest of [bleep].

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

290 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 37 invisible), 2,754 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,617
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.