Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC
You really don't have a clue do you ?

LOL !!! grin

We're pretty well sure, Luther.

ALL of us. wink

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Says YoderbOy the phoney and his buddy GlockheAd that accused him of shooting two gobblers off the back porch this past spring.....and thinks everyone is lying.

Such a dynamic duo.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well back to turkeys. (the feathered kind) I was going down the road yesterday and had to stop and let a big group of hens and this years hatch cross. I did not get a good count, but I am guessing around 30 or so with about 4 or 5 mature hens in the bunch. Some were already across the road in in the edge of the woods so kind of hard to tell.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Now were back on turkeys......

I thought you were teaching the two resident bAfoons how to shoot sporting clays.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pullit
Well back to turkeys. (the feathered kind)........

Yeah. STILL no good news, here.

Several days ago over on the property, saw a group of 5 good toms. No hens. Yesterday, a different group of 5 or 6 toms and 2 or 3 hens spent the whole day bugging in a low field a couple miles from here. No poults with the hens.

What's odd is that my brother told me how just random guys (farmers) at the local restaurant have been remarking about how MANY little turkeys they're seeing.......... Time will tell, I guess.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Started out of my driveway yesterday and had a group (small group) of hens and new birds at the gate to a field across from my house. There were 2 hens and maybe 6-8 new birds that were getting to be good size now.
I am hoping that all the birds make it thru as we need them for sure.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pullit
Started out of my driveway yesterday and had a group (small group) of hens and new birds at the gate to a field across from my house. There were 2 hens and maybe 6-8 new birds that were getting to be good size now.
I am hoping that all the birds make it thru as we need them for sure.

I'd be tickled pink to see 6 or 8 poults at this point..............

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I live an hour away from where I hunt. But we do have turkeys around the local airport and a guy that lives on the backside of the airport used to have a flock that came into his yard, with some nesting in his azaleas. I haven't seen any on his property this year. No toms, hens or poults. They all seem to be gone.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 08/29/22.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
No shortage of turkeys and polts in NE Wisconsin. Driving around, saw plenty of them.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have not seen "big" broods, but have seen a lot of broods. A neighbor harvested several acres of winter wheat and they were gleaning the fields. Several turkeys and broods gleaned my oat fields and after second crop hay was taken off a lot of them were in the fields feasting on grasshoppers.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I think, as soon as it dries off, I'm going to go mow one of the grass fields at the property. Should make things about perfect for bugging within a week. Maybe that'll be a draw for hen/poult groups if they're around. I have a hard time believing........even though I'm not seeing.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You think turkeys need help finding bugs...lol.

One afternoon my turkey dog flushed a flock of gobblers in a sage grass field on a cold blustery December day....a 13 degree high that day.

The two gobblers I killed crops were bulging.....

I'll give you one guess what exactly they were feeding on

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC

No, Luther, I don't.

But I do think a 7-8 acre field...........a field that I don't mow til about now so as to not destroy turkey nests and/or fawns...........would benefit the turkeys, now, by being opened up. The farther a turkey can get from a wood line to feed decreases the chances it can be sneaked up on by a cat or a coyote or dropped on by a hawk or eagle. Plus, 7-8 additional acres of grasshopper habitat can't hurt either.

It ain't rocket science. But I figured I'd take the time and expend the effort to explain it to a rookie.

BTW............ Welcome back !!! I've missed you. grin

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Originally Posted by LFC

No, Luther, I don't.

But I do think a 7-8 acre field...........a field that I don't mow til about now so as to not destroy turkey nests and/or fawns...........would benefit the turkeys, now, by being opened up. The farther a turkey can get from a wood line to feed decreases the chances it can be sneaked up on by a cat or a coyote or dropped on by a hawk or eagle. Plus, 7-8 additional acres of grasshopper habitat can't hurt either.

It ain't rocket science. But I figured I'd take the time and expend the effort to explain it to a rookie.

BTW............ Welcome back !!! I've missed you. grin
Originally Posted by LFC

Again you avoid the question .

Been right here Grasshoppa'

So you think that turkeys (young or old) out in an open field are safer from attack from a big Hawk or Eagle ?

And that by mowing you are creating grasshopper hAbitat ?

Your psychiatrist dad must have drugged yOu when you when you were little.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'm hearing good hatch reports from all over the country....so it's not all gloom and doom.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC
So you think that turkeys (young or old) out in an open field are safer from attack from a big Hawk or Eagle ?

And that by mowing you are creating grasshopper hAbitat ?

Yes. And yes.

Ever noticed that turkeys and geese prefer to feed in big, wide open fields ?? THEY figured it out. Much easier for predators of all types to close the distance on them undetected the closer to the wood line they get.

Originally Posted by LFC
I'm hearing good hatch reports from all over the country....so it's not all gloom and doom.

That's a VERY good thing.

Like I said above.............and what's puzzling.......is that a lot of local farmers are remarking about how many little turkeys they're seeing. But we aren't. Time will tell, I suppose.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC

One afternoon my turkey dog flushed a flock of gobblers in a sage grass field on a cold blustery December day....a 13 degree high that day.

What were they feeding on?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Originally Posted by LFC

What were they feeding on?

Snow peas. grin

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Must be. Around here, grasshoppers die in the fall and they only live through the winter as eggs, or nymphs where it's even warmer. By December there ain't much in the way of insect life for turkeys to feed on. Here they're eating mast and left over stuff in fields.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
145 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,428 guests, and 810 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,899
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.