Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Last 5 years or so there has been an explosion of concealed carry handgun options, many of which include great triggers and sights, expanded magazine capacity, and dead nuts reliability.

For over 4 years I've been primarily carrying the Ruger LC9S. I shoot it well. It conceals easily. But it is an 8 shot pistol, and no holster can protect the pistol from sweat/rust. Mostly the rust/oxidation cleans off easily enough, but still.

I hadn't even taken delivery on my LC9S, when Sig announced the P365. And I wanted one.
Still do, sorta
But 365/365XL/365X? Which one is the Goldilocks gun?

And other makers fueled the fire. Springfield, Smith, Ruger. I'm sure that every high capacity micro 9 out there has it's adherents.

Is there one micro 9 out there that everyone can point to and call it the "never a wrong choice" option?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

BP-B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Yep,

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

There is a very good reason why it is the gold standard by which all others are judged.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nuhn unh.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by johnw
Last 5 years or so there has been an explosion of concealed carry handgun options, many of which include great triggers and sights, expanded magazine capacity, and dead nuts reliability.

For over 4 years I've been primarily carrying the Ruger LC9S. I shoot it well. It conceals easily. But it is an 8 shot pistol, and no holster can protect the pistol from sweat/rust. Mostly the rust/oxidation cleans off easily enough, but still.

I hadn't even taken delivery on my LC9S, when Sig announced the P365. And I wanted one.
Still do, sorta
But 365/365XL/365X? Which one is the Goldilocks gun?

And other makers fueled the fire. Springfield, Smith, Ruger. I'm sure that every high capacity micro 9 out there has it's adherents.

Is there one micro 9 out there that everyone can point to and call it the "never a wrong choice" option?
I think the S&W Shield Plus is the best of the bunch.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Yep,

There is a very good reason why it is the gold standard by which all others are judged.
Can't go wrong with that, but it's in a different category from what the thread starter was referring to.

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I have the P365 and the P365XL I like both but prefer the XL version.
I think the P365's are at the top of their class and are never a wrong choice.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Since I read two incidents of a Sig 320 going off in the holster this morning, Sig’s response was if the striker return spring breaks it can happen and an attorney contacted one of the guys and said there’s been 50 cases, I’m out on anything Sig.

Now where’s that popcorn?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by TWR
Since I read two incidents of a Sig 320 going off in the holster this morning, Sig’s response was if the striker return spring breaks it can happen and an attorney contacted one of the guys and said there’s been 50 cases, I’m out on anything Sig.

Now where’s that popcorn?

Of course there is no indication of this ever happening with the P365s but the hell with rational thought

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I spent several years looking for the "perfect carry gun." For a time, I carried a Sig P238, but micro 9's were just starting to become popular, and I decided I want to get away from .380's (the ammo was nearly double that of 9mm, and I wanted the more powerful cartridge). I tried various revolvers and automatics. I tried all 3 sizes of 1911's. I debated the value of increased ammo capacity. I tinkered with various sights. Here are a few guns that I tried:

I don't have all of them in a single picture, because they came and went at different times. In the end, I decided that I wanted the most rounds I could get of 9mm. I finally settled on a G19. I had a few in different colors. I carried one daily, either IWB or OWB, as clothing allowed.

After Sig got the bugs worked out of the P365 I bought one. However, I didn't keep it long, as I decided to get on board the red dot crowd. I had a G19 gen 5 MOS for a time, but the grip of the P365 fit my hand so much better. I replaced my standard P365 with the P365 XL. I am not even a fan of the Sig company, because of how they beta test on consumers, but I can't cuss the P365 XL. It is perfect for my needs.

I still like Glock 19's (and the Glock 45). I plan to get one milled for a red dot soon. But...I still plan to carry the P365 XL whenever I want to carry a smaller gun--which is often.

That's my two cents--I often get change back.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've carried a 365 the last few years. Even though the size is small enough to conceal in almost any kind of SC weather, to me, the gun "shoots like a big gun" is the only way I can describe it. Most little pistols, a couple of mags and I've had enough fun for a while. I can shoot up 50 rounds or more with the 365. Also, I can hit with it almost as well as with my full-size pistols; well enough that I have all the confidence in the world in my ability to deploy it effectively in a SD situation. It's about the only pistol I feel I can count on that I can keep concealed and carry comfortably all day.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Two more cents for the Sig P365XL. I have the regular 365 and a 365XL and the slightly larger grip and slide of the XL makes a definite difference in recoil management. I know you can get an extended magazine for the 365 and that does help but the one piece grip and longer slide of the XL is still the winner IMO.

From a post I made in March of 2020 comparing several pistols:

"One subjective impression is recoil. It was 28 deg. this morning with an 8 mph wind and my fingers got a bit cold. The P365 had a 12 round mag in it so I could get my hand fully on the grip but recoil was still snappy. My chilly trigger finger really felt it after the first five rounds.

Going to the 365 XL with a longer and heavier slide showed a noticeable decrease in felt recoil, it was a slower recoil impulse. I've no way to quantify this, it wasn't a huge difference, but it was definitely noticeable. "

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I really like my CZ 75D pcr as a ccw pistol. I also like my Glock 19 and my little SIG 290R.

Sam......

T
T
I am joining the Sig 365XL camp. I have carried one for several years. The longer sight radius makes it much easier to shoot than the 365. It is small enough to fit in the pockets of cargo shorts and it is extremely accurate. You can't go wrong with the XL.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I like how the G19 can be described as "micro 9" in one conversation and "full size" in another. Not knocking the opinions of those that know way more than me, just humorous. And it shows what a sweet spot Glock hit with the 19 (in case anyone wasn't aware smile ).

Anyway, I'll throw in my plug for the Hellcat. I got talked into shooting a pistol league this summer, and of course I missed a couple weeks that there was no way to make up. The solution was to re-run beginners league while also doing the "regular" league this fall. So, to make things more fun I have been shooting the hellcat in the beginners league and then I walk over and shoot regular league with my xdm. That is a long intro just to say, shooting the hellcat in competition has been a great learning experience. I think the only failures I've seen were caused by me, but I can't say that I spend a lot of time analyzing that while the timer is running. I liked the sights initially, and after running them for a while, I like them even more. There are certainly more precise sights out there, but for the purpose of this gun, they work great. Very easy to hit with and quick. I try to start with the 11 round mags and then switch to 13's on the first reload as that's how I carry. Still haven't grabbed any 15 rounders, but I need to. I'm not as fast with the hellcat as I am with the xdm, but it is way closer than I would have guessed.

I have handled the 365 and the 365XL, and I get the appeal. I think the trigger is better than the hellcat trigger. That said, I've tried to like a Sig several times in the past, and with a couple of exceptions, it just hasn't worked out.

Also, to the extent that I can, I have attempted to standardize on the "regular use" handgun front. So, for me that meant XDM 9 for the range, xdm 10 for packing in the woods, and the hellcat for concealed carry. My thought is that any time I manage to get for practice/play applies as closely as possible to what you carry. Not that a guy couldn't do the same with any other manufacturer, that's just where I ended up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With modern manufacturing I think “Best” is a term that needs to be retired. You almost have to go out of your way to end up with a truly bad pistol these days. Don’t worry about what people on the internet think is “best” and just get the gun that fits your hand, will conceal on your body type, and is something you’re willing to take out and shoot on a regular basis. Focus on the software more than the hardware. There’s any number of really great carry guns out there. 365 vs Hellcat vs Shield Plus vs… They’re ALL good, but not all are good FOR YOU. Go put a few in your hand, and if you can shoot them too, well that will tell you way more than anyone here can tell you.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Glock 19 with a grip reduction might be the Goldilocks. Back off to a 48 & choose to go steel aftermarket mags, or settle for 10+1.

That's my hand... yours?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
SIG 365XL for me.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by GunGeek
With modern manufacturing I think “Best” is a term that needs to be retired. You almost have to go out of your way to end up with a truly bad pistol these days. Don’t worry about what people on the internet think is “best” and just get the gun that fits your hand, will conceal on your body type, and is something you’re willing to take out and shoot on a regular basis. Focus on the software more than the hardware. There’s any number of really great carry guns out there. 365 vs Hellcat vs Shield Plus vs… They’re ALL good, but not all are good FOR YOU. Go put a few in your hand, and if you can shoot them too, well that will tell you way more than anyone here can tell you.

Kevin--You hit the nail on the head. Touche!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another vote for the P365. If buying again I would go with the X or the XL so you have the slide already milled if you decide to add a red dot.
I carry the original with an X slide, red dot, and 12 round mag.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I found my preference for carry pistols to be a full sized handle. G17, G45, 1911, and on, and on.

I’ve down sized to one small framed pistol, a Springfield XDs in 45 ACP.

The wife loves her Glock 43x, which isn’t a bad way to fly. If I was going to change out my small frame pistol ~ I’d go with either a G43x or a S&W Shield.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
123 members (257 mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,775 guests, and 821 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.