Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Pleading the 5th Amendment can most certainly be used in civil cases, where testimony might lead to a criminal case. A judge can draw adverse inferences on the defendant but it depends on the questions asked by the prosecutor.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Avoiding a trap.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Remember Susan McDougal?
Her refusal to answer "three questions" for a grand jury, on whether President Bill Clinton lied in his testimony during her Whitewater trial, led her to receive a jail sentence of 18 months for contempt of court. That made up most of the total 22 months she spent incarcerated.
I'm thinking that was because the answers obviously wouldn't have incriminated her. You can't plead the 5th without any interest.
Her answers would have most definitely incriminated her in the Whitewater affair.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
He should pull aHitllery and just say he can’t remember. Kept her from going to jail. Edk

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by JB in SC
Pleading the 5th Amendment can most certainly be used in civil cases, where testimony might lead to a criminal case. A judge can draw adverse inferences on the defendant but it depends on the questions asked by the prosecutor.

Sounds Reasonable..

None of US should talk to this Junta without Legal Representation..

Especially if it could lead to their Courtyard in Mordor on the Potomac..

Monkey Left the Oven Door Open

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by centershot
Avoiding a trap.

A perjury trap is what got Flynn. He should have demanded counsel present and didn't. A stupid mistake that cost him his career.

Never trust a Federal investigator.

Last edited by STRSWilson; 08/10/22.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by SBTCO
Originally Posted by Houston_2
Yep.

I would expect a judge to intervene fairly soon and order him to depose with significant daily fines if he continues to refuse to give his deposition.

Originally Posted by Godogs57
Yep.

I would expect a judge to intervene fairly soon and order him to depose with significant daily fines if he continues to refuse to give his deposition.
How would overriding the 5th play in here?

Uhhh.. the 5th amend. is a constitutional right, the judge can't force him to speak, that's kind of the whole point of the 5th, to not give up privacy or self incrimination.
...I know, difficult concept for some.

BS. You’re just ignorant, low IQ howler monkeys !

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Originally Posted by centershot
Avoiding a trap.

A perjury trap is what got Flynn. He should have demanded counsel present and didn't. A stupid mistake that cost him his career.

Never trust a Federal investigator.

Amen…Trump has finally gotten “swamp smarts”…

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
If my lawyer told me to plead the fifth, I'd do it.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by losttrail60
Originally Posted by Muffin
"So there are five people taking the Fifth Amendment, like you see on the mob, right? You see the mob takes the Fifth. If you're innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?" Trump told the crowd at an Iowa rally in September 2016.

Because............... '...anything you say CAN and WILL be used AGAINST you...' whether you are guilty or NOT!!!!!

You whiffed the point. LOL

NO, I got your point......

knowing Trump, It's likely that a DEM had said virtually the same thing not long before he did......

...he often calls out the left for not following the rules they want others to follow!

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
"So there are five people taking the Fifth Amendment, like you see on the mob, right? You see the mob takes the Fifth. If you're innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?" Trump told the crowd at an Iowa rally in September 2016.

Because............... '...anything you say CAN and WILL be used AGAINST you...' whether you are guilty or NOT!!!!!

You whiffed the point. LOL

NO, I got your point......

knowing Trump, It's likely that a DEM had said virtually the same thing not long before he did......

...he often calls out the left for not following the rules they want others to follow!

However, In his own words, here's the reason.....

'...“I once asked, ‘If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?'” Trump said. “Now I know the answer to that question. When your family, your company, and all the people in your orbit have become the targets of an unfounded, politically motivated Witch Hunt supported by lawyers, prosecutors, and the Fake News Media, you have no choice.”...'

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Have you had a stroke lately? Is your small and inefficient brain unable to comprehend corrupt DOJ? Or more likely are you just another lying leftist POS born to have the effects of aluminum baseball bats smashed into your head as a test for aluminum baseball bats?

Dog I rescued in January

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ErniesSalad
Yep.

Yep.

Uhhh.. the 5th amend. is a constitutional right, the judge can't force him to speak, that's kind of the whole point of the 5th, to not give up privacy or self incrimination.

We will soon see.

I’m betting that a judge will try to override him pleading the 5th. Whether it works or not is to be seen.

I do recall a judge forcing him to turn over documents with a hefty daily fine but I don’t remember the outcome of it.

You must be not smart… a judge cannot override 5th amendment rights.

Yep, ol' 2_toots, is as dumb as a bag of hammers !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by ErniesSalad
Yep.

Yep.

We will soon see.

I’m betting that a judge will try to override him pleading the 5th. Whether it works or not is to be seen.

I do recall a judge forcing him to turn over documents with a hefty daily fine but I don’t remember the outcome of it.

You must be not smart… a judge cannot override 5th amendment rights.

Aww crap, laughing out loud here.

And you must be not literate.

There ya go Ernestine.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by ERK
He should pull aHitllery and just say he can’t remember. Kept her from going to jail. Edk

Yep.

Worked well for her and for Reagan during Iran Contra.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by ERK

Yep.

Iran Contra was necessary. You communists don't seem to think so.

Dog I rescued in January

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by ERK

Yep.

Iran Contra was necessary. You communists don't seem to think so.

And I consider Oliver North a hero for taking the fall…a true American patriot…

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by wabigoon
If my lawyer told me to plead the fifth, I'd do it.
I wouldn't even wait for instruction from counsel on pleading the 5th. Until I have counsel it's a closed mouth and only then I'm talking to an attorney or advocate. Never talk to police or any investigative agency or procescuter. Lots of people have gone down because they wanted to have heard their story or position.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
You can take the 5th in a "civil" case.

If you *don't* take the 5th in a "civil" case, you can't take it later if there's a criminal prosecution.

You cannot be forced to testify, unless you have been granted complete immunity from prosecution, city, state, federal and administrative.

If you are given immunity and you won't testify, you can be jailed for the duration of the grand jury that you were supposed ta testify to (federal). usually bout 18 months.

Ol Poof is a liberal moron.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I wouldn’t give those b-tards the time of day. It might not agree with their clock.
They have colluded with Hillary. They colluded with a foreign National. They openly joked among themselves about destroying Trump.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,347 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,323
Posts18,468,478
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.