Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Akbob5 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Thanks gents, appreciate all the feedback!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve owned several of the LHT and earlier 1” version.
Optically awesome and light. Turrets are not the most awe inspiring but I don’t dial so didn’t bother me. I bought a used one that arrived with the side focus not focusing…..Of course Vortex took care of it but I don’t think now I would trust one on a hunt of a lifetime.
But we all must determine our opinion our own way. I pretty much trust what I know…..
Still use one on my expensive rifle but I would likely put a 3-10 or 2.5-10 NF on it if again I was going out of state, etc.
Regardless I only trust a scope that I have put 40-50
rounds down range and a trip or two on a UTV…..

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It would be a blessing if these products were made, so each of us would have great confidence.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Unfortunately, super light and durable/reliable doesn’t exist. You’ll have to pick which quality you value more. I learned I’ll just have to accept a few more ounces if I need a scope I can depend on. Between a Nightforce and the Vortex, it’s a no brainer.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 08/02/22.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
It would be a blessing if these products were made, so each of us would have great confidence.

I would venture to guess that the guys here that have posted about their NF rifle scopes have plenty of confidence. Even though the SHV mentioned several times is less expensive than its bigger brother (NXS), it has a great reputation for reliable tracking and good glass as well. I use them and they dial just fine.. You take your chances with Vortex. I've seen many schidt the bed..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I know, I have one NXS, and it works well. I been thinking of a new scope just checking on what's out there that works besides another N/F. I would like a good scope that is made for hunting, not combat.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

A
Akbob5 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

I would venture to guess that the guys here that have posted about their NF rifle scopes have plenty of confidence. Even though the SHV mentioned several times is less expensive than its bigger brother (NXS), it has a great reputation for reliable tracking and good glass as well. I use them and they dial just fine.. You take your chances with Vortex. I've seen many schidt the bed..

Seen many (how many?) sch itt the bed? And how many LHT’s? If any. Please be specific. I’ve yet to have a single person say they have had issues, let alone a serious issue with a LHT.

Thank you - Bob

Last edited by Akbob5; 08/02/22.

Bob
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Akbob5 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Unfortunately, super light and durable/reliable doesn’t exist. You’ll have to pick which quality you value more. I learned I’ll just have to accept a few more ounces if I need a scope I can depend on. Between a Nightforce and the Vortex, it’s a no brainer.

Says the March fan! That was a friendly poke btw. But SWFA and even Huskamaw seem to do ok. Ya? Lol

Bob
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I still don’t consider March lightweight. Lighter, yes, but still hard to call 24 oz truly lightweight.

If someone could figure out truly lightweight, that was durable, accurate tracking, capable longer range, good reticle, etc, they’d light the scope world on fire. Unfortunately, I don’t even think any manufacturer is actually trying.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 4 3-15 LHTs right now. The third one I got had to be sent back for illumination not working, the replacement they sent me stopped focusing after a few rounds down range from a Barrett ‘06. Other than that I’ve had no issues tracking. I did tall target tests to check tracking and all tracked and returned to zero. I have killed 2 mule deer, 3 white tails, and around 15 wild pigs with the LHT scopes. I have a threaded 6.5 I need to scope and have thought about trying the nighforce nxs 2.5-10 on it but I may just put another LHT on it. I even did an accidental drop test and it held zero and dialed to 500 yard and hit immediately after.

IC B3

A
Akbob5 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Thanks fishermen0105. Good feed back and much appreciation.

Bob
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Since first posting on this, I've put another 45 rounds down range with a 3-15×42 on my 340 Wby including 263 and 285 grain bullets that have substantial recoil. Still going great.
I dont think the SHVs have enough eye relief

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have 5 3-15x42s.
700 7stw
700 300h&h
700 338t&m
Forbes 270
Forbes 3006
All have been dialed to 600 and back lots of times and have tracked perfectly. I was looking at many options and found the 3-15 LHT the best option for my hunting and I'm very happy with them.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I think I might get one on y'all good word about them.

Did I sound like I was from the South?

Hmm, Mother from Oklahoma Father from Arkansas and all the relatives to go with them.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have three of the 3-15s and like them, lightweight and great glass. They are on a 6 Creed, 6.5 Creed and 6.5 PRC, so not heavy recoiling guns but they have been through a few seasons with no issues and plenty of dialing. All the rest of my scopes are NF FWIW

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one of them on a semi heavy 280Ai custom built from bergara. Last Saturday while at the range it was sitting in the shooting bag on a portable shooting table. The bolt was open and it was cooling. Gust of wind came up and blew the table over. Now this is a real world drop test. Landed scope down completely riuned the turret cap. It was a hard fall. Picked it up cleaned it off fired a 3 shot group. Poi changed 2 inches to the right. Dialed 6 clicks left and shot another 3 round group and it was dead on. Dialed to 500 hit the gong dialed back to zero and shot another perfect 3 shot group. Not sure why the poi changed might have been movement in the rings or who knows. Still seems to work perfectly. Ordered a new turret cap today. I'll change that out and go shoot it again this weekend. I will report back to let you all know if it is still working correctly. Going to shoot a box test as recommended by Vortex.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by azelkhuntr
I have one of them on a semi heavy 280Ai custom built from bergara. Last Saturday while at the range it was sitting in the shooting bag on a portable shooting table. The bolt was open and it was cooling. Gust of wind came up and blew the table over. Now this is a real world drop test. Landed scope down completely riuned the turret cap. It was a hard fall. Picked it up cleaned it off fired a 3 shot group. Poi changed 2 inches to the right. Dialed 6 clicks left and shot another 3 round group and it was dead on. Dialed to 500 hit the gong dialed back to zero and shot another perfect 3 shot group. Not sure why the poi changed might have been movement in the rings or who knows. Still seems to work perfectly. Ordered a new turret cap today. I'll change that out and go shoot it again this weekend. I will report back to let you all know if it is still working correctly. Going to shoot a box test as recommended by Vortex.

I had the exact same thing happen to me sometime back. Except there was around 5 rifles leaning on a rack, which the wind dropped a tree limb on. Rifles took a hard fall onto concrete. Lots of scope dents. 2 of the rifles were mine. Of the 5, only 1 of them (mine) had a POI shift very similar to yours. Like you, I was able to get it re zeroed and it seemingly worked and dialed well. But, the POI shift really bothered me. Since the scope was already dented, I recreated the fall from the same position. Damn thing shifted POI again. It was taken out of service as soon as I got home. Adding insult to injury, it was by far the most expensive scope of the 5 that tipped over.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
If I am not mistaken, I saw a posting here a while back that the Vortex Razor HD LHTs are manufactured in Japan at LOW (Light Optic Works). The same facility that manufactures so many of the scopes that members here love and have excellent experience with. I own a couple of the 3-15x50 LHTs and because of an eye injury a while back, the bolder G4i reticle works real well for me.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
AFAIK, the LHT is produced by LOW. But, it is produced to spec, which is to say that not all LOW built scopes are equally rugged. I'm not saying that the LHT isn't rugged, because I don't know first hand. I'd just point out that this model is lighter than some other comparable scopes made by LOW, so that weight had to get cut from somewhere.

There's been enough good reports on this model that I'd give one a try if/when they offer the 3-15 with a FFP mil reticle that I like. I'm just not into SFP's over 10x or so for big game hunting, and I didn't care for the reticle in the larger, FFP LHT model I tried. It's plenty usable, but I like other reticles I currently have much better.

A
Akbob5 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
So far, not a single report of tracking issue. The one issue, at least in my mind, is it’s ability to handle stops or falls. A couple here have reported POI shifts after falls. Personally, I don’t throw my rifles in the back of a truck or UTV and let them bounce around. I’m not necessarily gentle with them either, at the end of the day, they are a tool, not art. I have to admit that POI shift is a concern. Someone also posted a drop test thread that Form posted on Rokslide and it failed miserably (it actually was the higher magnification model, but close enough for me).

I have two of these now, and two NF 2.5-10 x 32s for five main rifles. These are < 500 yard waking varmint/hunting rifles. I’m trying to keep the weight down on these. Maybe #5 will get a Trijicon?. I need to get them all mounted up and do some shooting.

I’m building two long range guns and for starters, one will have a 4-32 NX8 and the other a 4-16 ATACR, both about the same weight. So a different ball game here.

I could live with a couple more ounces for a bit more toughness, but it is what it is.

Thanks all!

Bob
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,072
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.