24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I recall when that or bamboo were the only choices, and good bamboo was out of my range back then.
I saw in the Other threads, some o you are still using them. Just curious how many.
I’ve been using graphite rods since the 1980s, but last year had a hankering to put a glass rod in my collection.
I built a 7.5’ 4 weight on a North Fork Composites blank for tight places. I think they’re better for some things like roll casting. This thing is a lot of fun. The new glass technology & engineering is ahead of my old heavy rods from the 60s & 70s..

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by brayhaven; 07/08/22.

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/
GB2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’m far from an expert but I like glass rods, modern ones are very good and will do anything a graphite rod will do in most circumstances. If your fishing nymphs with weight and bobbers graphite seems to be a better choice to me.
Older ones are can be too slow but fun to fish if you slow down your casting stoke somewhat.
I have a couple of 7’ 4wt rods, one Fenwick from the 70’s and an 11 year old custom Graywolf that is also 7’ and 4wt. I use the Graywolf more. It is a hoot on a panfish lake, makes small fish feel like whoppers.😁
Oh yea, they can be cheaper too.

Bluegills and the Graywolf a couple of weeks ago.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I like the grip on that rod. I like a thicker grip and often put a wells type on the rods I build.

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I think the new redington butter stick is calling my name. Has a cool retro look to it.

Think i need a bigger gun
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
If you answer the call, give us a review. 👍🏼

Greg
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My go to Western panfish rod is a Cabela’s Classic Glass Rod. A bit short at only 6’6”, but it also works for trout in the nearby small streams. I also have the CGR in 2 and 5 weights, but find them just so-so. The 5 weight especially. I’d much rather fish a Fenwick FF786 using a DT 5wt line. Just a superb rod.

What I should do, is wrap a Steffen 7’3” 2/3 blank, as it’s likely right at the sweet spot for panfish glass. At the same time, dispose of the dozen or so other vintage fiberglass rods that I tried and didn’t fall in love with.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I use my old Fenwick glass rods quite often when I do fish. Have them from 7.5' #5 to a 9' #10. 49 years ago I bought my first Fenwick glass. A 7.5' #6. Billed as the all around trout rod. I still have it and caught my limit of Wy. brook trout yesterday with it. Supper tonight.

I have a number of newer rods from 3 wt to 10 wt. But most often I use the old Fenwicks.

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The first fly rod I ever tried was an old Shakesphere Ugly stik Lite I bought around 30 years ago when the local Kmart was closing down. 8'6" marked 6 or 7 wt line. It works pretty good with popping bugs for local bass and panfish. Not quite as smooth as the 9' 6wt Redidngton Classic Trout I got a few years ago, but then I've always gone cheap for line on it.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
There's a book out on classic fiberglass fly rods call "14 Sticks of Glass" that's a good read. I just sold a used copy of it, so I don't have it around to check the author, but you should be able to find one by title.

Once I found fiberglass, I quit looking for a new and miraculous material--it's cheap, durable, and works well enough for me. I've had my three fly rods for many decades now and the only thing they've needed is some new guides and some new cork. Never busted one or put a "set" in one yet. Before my first 'glass "Eagle Claw," I was using a "True Temper" telescopic steel/copper rod, so 'glass WAS the miracle! Never could afford split bamboo; probably still can't--at least not "Made in USA."

Last edited by Mesa; 07/24/22.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
There’s a pretty active website for fiberglass fly rodders. Don’t recall the actual address but you should be able to search it.
Lots of good info there on them.
Like most specialty sites, . a vast amount of “knowledge”. And a good bit of it just half vast 🙄..

Greg
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have a Fenwick glass rod (7'6' 5 wt) from the 70s that is a slow limber casting rod. I caught untold numbers of panfish bass and carp on. My normal rods are a 6' 2wt (3wt line ) and a 8' 4wt by temple fork outfitters. I use the TFO rods almost exclusively now, but the fenwick in its niche is a fun rod. The slow action kept me from breaking a lot of tippets as a youngster.......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fiberglass flyrodders is the forum. I’ve linked to it here in the past.

https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/

A Maxcatch 7’ 3wt arrived today. Not half bad for $72, but alas, it doesn’t feel nicely loaded until there’s at least 30’ of 3dt outside the guides, so it’s more like a 4wt.

A Fisher blank Scientific Anglers System 4 went for a cool 4 bills last week on eBay. Dang if vintage glass isn’t getting pricy!!

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I fish Bamboo and fiberglass . In old glass I prefer the Phillipson rods with Cortland a very close second. For a new rod Graywolf Rods made my favorite of the several modern maker rods that I own.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Tough to beat a made in Montana Winston rod.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I am currently having a NFC 7'6" 4# iconoglass built.
Over the weekend I ordered another NFC iconoglass blank, 8'0 5# just because.

They are marked down to $75. Why not !

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have 2 Sage Glass rods 6 Wt and 7Wt 8ft bought around 1981 love them fished them from Oregon to Alaska

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
650 members (160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 73 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,172
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.