Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
VernAK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The grouse [Ruffed, Sharptail & Spruce] were in the lows of their cycle prior to this past devastating winter and now they are almost non-existant so please don't plan on bring your dogs to Delta Jct or Tok for upland hunting.

The ungulates took a similar hit also so our hunting looks quite dismal for the next few years.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They changed up bison regulations big time, today. Seasons for each hunter will only be 12 days, bulls only.

Big change from 6 months of either sex...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sooty's are doin' fine down my way . . .

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Bummer Vern

VernAK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
They changed up bison regulations big time, today. Seasons for each hunter will only be 12 days, bulls only.

Big change from 6 months of either sex...

Art,
This is an interesting development to say the least and not unexpected. There are some disappointed and upset bison tag holders.
The affects of this may be long term as trust in the drawing system falters and revenue [application fee+PR $$$] declines.

IC B2

VernAK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The good part is the cranes and geese have already started arriving!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's a shame. As someone who has always thought of hunting AK but not spending huge bucks to do bear/moose/sheep etc - an upland/bird hunt would have been a way to "see" Alaska and still get some hunting in. At least to my way of thinking. Sure hope the population rebounds.

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Teal
That's a shame. As someone who has always thought of hunting AK but not spending huge bucks to do bear/moose/sheep etc - an upland/bird hunt would have been a way to "see" Alaska and still get some hunting in. At least to my way of thinking. Sure hope the population rebounds.
Delta had great populations of upland birds for a very long time, but have been drawing too much attention and pressure. There is still fantastic upland bird hunting in other places. This is a very big place.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have seen plenty of spruce grouse and ptarmigan this summer near Fairbanks. Just as many as the last couple of summers.

Got 3 last night on a short hike near the Chatnika. If I actually tried I am sure I could have got a lot more.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Teal
Delta had great populations of upland birds for a very long time, but have been drawing too much attention and pressure. There is still fantastic upland bird hunting in other places. This is a very big place.
thanks go to a writer in an anchorage rag years ago. Start of the downfall for delta area.

Its only gotten worse the years we have been around and last winter was a coffin nail for sure. Lots of things died.

It will rebound. Maybe for the best. Maybe folks will forget about delta and move on by the time things come back.

In the meantime seasons for lots of things should be closed period imho. give em a year or two to bounce some. thats way to radical for people and departments though.

Like USA we may be at the beginning of the end as we know it.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anyone know how the Macomb caribou herd is doing, thinking about going down for the 2 day wheeler hunt with a buddy.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not a clue on the Malcom specifically but they significantly dropped the RC860 quota and made it bulls only for residents.

VernAK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Not a clue on the Malcom specifically but they significantly dropped the RC860 quota and made it bulls only for residents.

F&G has not done a survey of the McComb Caribou this year but I doubt the population is very robust. I just talked to a friend that flew five hours in DCUA and saw near nothing for legal rams and no concentrations of caribou. He did see a couple groups of cows/calves but no bulls. The caribou had to get under that ice layer to feed also so I don't expect they fared well. That herd usually numbers close to 2K and stays distributed throughout the area for most of the year.

The 40 Mile Caribou Herd was indicating stress for the past few years and this past winter took a toll. The digital photo census indicates the population at about 40K. The management plan calls for a quota of 3% when the herd reaches 40K. Those 1,200 harvest numbers are divided into the various areas. The 40MCH was headed to the Steese Highway where the annual opening circus has performed the past few years but they stalled out and turned south and are now in the middle of the 40 Mile Country.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the info Vern, I know the sheep populations are down as I had a permit last year and didn't see a single ram and saw no sheep in areas where I've always seen sheep. We did see some caribou last year but we were too focused on moose to worry about caribou.

I won't hunt the Steese or Taylor, too many shoot first ask question later type hunters out there for my tastes.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Good population of Spruce Grouse here. I get attacked two or three times a week by a Spruce Hen protecting her clutch. Some Ruffed Grouse, not many. But they have never been plentiful here.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
2016-17 was the peak of a hare cycle. Dmn those were some good years. Predation of grouse lessened, are there were tons of both.

Didn't even need a long gun

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 08/11/22.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I see your grouse pics with a shotgun… did you shout them on the wing?

I took a friend of mine spruce grouse hunting once (with his dog). He was astounded that I just head shot them with a 22 in the middle of the trail. Try as he might, he was never able to wing shoot one while in flight “sportingly”.

I really bummed him out when his dog pointed one on the trail and I hit it with a rock, then ringed it’s neck.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yep, take em on the wing or on the ground, doesn't matter to me.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Back in the early to mid 2000’s I found the Delta Junction grouse hunting by accident during a moose hunt. After that I spent a lot of time enjoying that little relatively unknown gem and I never shared that information with anyone other than the 2 guys that accompanied me. I figured that from everything I had read before about the hare numbers versus lynx numbers that those were good years for both. There were so many snowshoe hares that it was incredible and I saw a half dozen lynx during my moose hunt. Great memories and while it’s been several years since I’ve been up there to do that hunt but I’d like to again someday and I sure hope the cycle bounces back quickly.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Sorry to hear sharptail numbers seem presently down around Delta Junction. I first hunted DJ 25 years ago, on private land where former barley fields had been planted to CRP. There were "shelter belts" of native taiga between the fields, creating a fabulous productive habitat for this species. Since sharptails easily shift to feeding in the canopy during deep snow, and can fly miles to better foraging, I'd be a bit surprised that they'd be as hit by winter conditions as other species. Also, have Alaska's CRP acre enrollment declined like in many states "outside"? Thoughts?

Last edited by GrouseChaser; 08/12/22.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 270winchester, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,650
Posts18,455,461
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.