Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Does the USPS require a copy of a FFL recipient in the box of a firearm when shipping to an FFL holder?
I’m pretty sure the local office doesn’t know one way or another. But they have told me that it’s required. Thanks.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
BP-B2

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
In a word, NO.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OlderGuy54
In a word, NO.

Correct.

Ask the USPS brainiac where it says that in their rules and regs. Hold up the line behind you until they find it. They won't.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Just as there is no requirement for an FFL to send a copy of their FFL to the person shipping.

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I include a Xerox'ed copy of the destination FFL in the box, mainly in case the shipping label is defaced there's a fighting chance (alright, slim chance) it'll end up getting there. I have an FFL (C&R, because I only mess with old stuff anymore) and am happy to receive electronic copies of destination FFL's and conversely prefer to send my copy electronically too.

One thing I do avoid doing is putting "gunshop" in the address, or anything that would trigger an idiot USPS clerk to get their panties twisted or a thief in the pipeline to help themselves.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I include a Xerox'ed copy of the destination FFL in the box, mainly in case the shipping label is defaced there's a fighting chance (alright, slim chance) it'll end up getting there. I have an FFL (C&R, because I only mess with old stuff anymore) and am happy to receive electronic copies of destination FFL's and conversely prefer to send my copy electronically too.

One thing I do avoid doing is putting "gunshop" in the address, or anything that would trigger an idiot USPS clerk to get their panties twisted or a thief in the pipeline to help themselves.

That's a great way to not answer the OP's question about what isn't required.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Alright. Whatever you say.

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I don’t understand why a FFL holder would object. Especially if the postal clerks say it has to be.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Our local Post Office has a form that the FFL fills out and I hand to the clerk.
I think it's more of a policy than a law.
The last gun that I shipped was through Shipmygun.com via UPS. Much easier than the Post Office.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
IC B3

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Bugger
I don’t understand why a FFL holder would object. Especially if the postal clerks say it has to be.

What? Object to sending a FFL to a non-FFL? No requirement.

Who cares WHAT a postal clerk says. Never take NO as an answer from someone that doesn't have the authority to say yes.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
If you mail a gun back to Ruger for warranty work, you plan on having Ruger send you a copy of their FFL?

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Alright. Whatever you say.

You are just doing a lot of stuff that there is no requirement for.

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Who cares WHAT a postal clerk says. Never take NO as an answer from someone that doesn't have the authority to say yes.

And so the rifle doesn’t get shipped.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Just as there is no requirement for an FFL to send a copy of their FFL to the person shipping.
I didn't realize this.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ATF tells us to NOT give FFLs to anybody without one of their own. We are to give the first 3 and last five digits of the license and instruct shippers to check on the EZCheck website.

Too many cases of fraud.

USPS specifically tells employees not to make legality judgements on guns. They are only allowed to ask specific questions on contents.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

If an USPS clerk refuses a gun shipment here ( extremely rare) they get corrected very quickly when management gets involved.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

If an USPS clerk refuses a gun shipment here ( extremely rare) they get corrected very quickly when management gets involved.

It’s the manager here that’s the worst.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

That is more or less what I do for the same reason as you cite. I run the FFL numbers through the ATF EZcheck and put a copy of the EZcheck in with the firearm. It only takes a minute and it may prevent a lost firearm.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A word of caution re: the statement about ATF EZcheck. If you submit an FFL03 (C&R license) to somebody for an appropriate gun, and they run your license number through ATF EZcheck it'll bounce, and they'll tell the checker to decline the sale. It happened to me recently and the seller declined the sale. It turns out that EZcheck only applies to FFL01 licenses, and no amount of pointing that out to the seller persuaded him to reconsider.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
124 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 15 invisible), 1,846 guests, and 887 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,672
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.