Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Teal
I'm thinking I'd like an air compressor mounted someplace - QD on it just to use for tires and the like. No clue how to do that cleanly just yet.
I thought the same thing and started doing research. Plenty of threads out there on mounting locations and QD points.
Since I won't be airing down/up often, and I may need to use it on another vehicle where I can't get my pickup close enough, I ultimately decided to just keep it behind the seat or in the bed.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Teal
I'm thinking I'd like an air compressor mounted someplace - QD on it just to use for tires and the like. No clue how to do that cleanly just yet.
Look into how guys who have onboard compressors for air bags mount them.

Usually underneath up high. Run a line to rear license plate QD to connect tire hose.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got to looking at my scuba tank and neglected to mention the need for a regulator in my earlier post. Since I already had that stuff on my tank, that inflater was just a few more dollars and a non-issue for me, but those regulators don’t come cheap. A regulator meters the 3,000 psi down to something usable and consistent as the tank pressure goes down.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only issue I have with the scuba tank is room. The compressors are fairly compact and can be mounted in lots of places out of the way.

Just some thoughts for consideration.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Windfall
I got to looking at my scuba tank and neglected to mention the need for a regulator in my earlier post. Since I already had that stuff on my tank, that inflater was just a few more dollars and a non-issue for me, but those regulators don’t come cheap. A regulator meters the 3,000 psi down to something usable and consistent as the tank pressure goes down.

Normal stage 1 like ScubaPro, Mares or Apeks or something else?

Me

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Now days a guy could get a Bed Deck and a topper and be done.

I'm thinking about setting one up for fishing tourneys. Drawers in the truck bed, sleep on top.

Camp is where you make it.
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tzone
Now days a guy could get a Bed Deck and a topper and be done.

I'm thinking about setting one up for fishing tourneys. Drawers in the truck bed, sleep on top.

I'm coming to that conclusion more and more and the costs vary quite a bit. It's crazy. The "Decked" system seems to be pretty popular and ~1500 for a Tacoma, not horrible. Built, ready to go etc vs "making something out of 11 trips to Fleet Farm and 20 hours of design and 1400 in wood".

Caps - sky's the limit on that price these days. All I really want/need would be opening side windows and back of course.

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I spend upwords of 30 nights a summer in my truck bed every year. I've stayed pretty basic with just a insulated/carpeted topper and a thermarest air mattress. I upgraded a couple years ago and bought a rubber bed mat and that makes a huge difference.
I thought about building a deck for more storage/flat surface, but decided against it because of the loss of vertical space. its hard enough to get dressed in the mornings in there.
My next truck will have a hi rise topper on it just for that reason.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Teal, a ScubaPro, Mares..., I wish. Nope a dinosaur Dacor Olympic. Which isn't a bad way to go if a guy only wants to blow up tires and kiddie pools because those don't care if you use an ancient, hard breathing regulator. That Dacor isn't quite as old as the double hose rig that Mike Nelson used on Sea Hunt, but close. If a guy could pick up a used regulator at a garage sale price, a lot smaller tank than that 80 would be all a guy needs for tires.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Windfall
Teal, a ScubaPro, Mares..., I wish. Nope a dinosaur Dacor Olympic. Which isn't a bad way to go if a guy only wants to blow up tires and kiddie pools because those don't care if you use an ancient, hard breathing regulator. That Dacor isn't quite as old as the double hose rig that Mike Nelson used on Sea Hunt, but close. If a guy could pick up a used regulator at a garage sale price, a lot smaller tank than that 80 would be all a guy needs for tires.

Thanks - wanted to make sure I was thinking the right reg. See them on craig's from time to time. Small dive community up by me in the Green Bay/Door County area. Most of the stuff for sale - used 2x in the Carrib on some vacation and then it collects dust so you can score a deal once in a while but I've not looked in a decade.

Me

IC B3

A
A
My 99 F250 Super Duty has slots molded in the side of the bed and wheel wells that fit fit a 2x6 perfectly. I cut three of them to fit and used 3/4 plywood as decking. I picked up a used topper for $200 and installed it. Originally I used a queen mattress and it fit perfect. My ex and I explored all over in Alaska on a 2 week vacation. There is plenty of room under the bunk to store a small camp kitchen and assorted tools.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (10gaugemag, Akhutr, Anaconda, BallisticBRYAN, 11 invisible), 1,565 guests, and 824 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,207
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.