ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks, saved the link.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mike, this is one of those things you can only know for yourself. My wife wouldn't think of day hiking or backpacking without trekking poles. I don't like them.

Before there was such a thing as "trekking poles," somewhere around 1977 I struck upon the idea of using two ski poles for backpacking. I'd never seen anyone do such a thing, and did several backpack trips with them before I decided I preferred a single staff which was my go to walking aid at the time.

After the ski pole experiment I stuck to a traditional "staff" (think Colin Fletcher, The Complete Walker) through the 1980's. Then in 1992 I switched to a cane - somewhere I'd found a lightweight, composite, geriatric cane and it struck me as similar to the "walking height" ice axe I preferred for some climbs. I tried it on a trip in the Bob Marshall, and was hooked. Nothing in the last 30 years has induced me to change.

At the end of the day, having a "third point of contact" is really quite important for safety in the mountains, no matter your preference of poles, staff, or cane.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Also good for thumping snakes.

1Minute
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 1minute
Also good for thumping snakes.

Ha! True - I killed a big ole Southern rattler (12 buttons) in the NC mountains with my staff on a 2.5 mo's long AT hike.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Look at Black Diamond. VERY good company. VERY good quality! Their Distance compact 2-person tent which uses their Distance Carbon FLZ-AR Trekking poles.

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/product/distance-tent-w-adapter/

Alan

IC B2

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I have a Mega-Mid that I really like.

Trying to decide whether or not to sew a stove-jack into it.

I don't like the bright blue, don't like the dull blue on the MM, prefer green/tan/grey myself.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a SeekOutside Little Bug Out with the added tarp. It’s got a stove jack, and I can use a trekking pole. Packs down really small and it’s super well made.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Both my solo and duo three season shelters are trekking pole shelters. The solo uses a single pole, the duo double poles. Both are pretty sturdy shelters, but come winter I want crossing tent poles. Quicker/easier setup and simply sturdier with snow loads and wind.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Brad,

I had forgotten you use a Cane, is it an ultralite piece?

Mike, it's a Komperdell Power Walk "Walking Staff" (cane) - weigh's 8.5 oz's.

Here's a GREAT deal on them - sign up for text notifications and receive an additional 10% off for a total of $39.14 shipped:

https://www.mountainsteals.com/prod...81YdjmEpYQMk0H6j1rlh0fLVckIaAtLBEALw_wcB

I have trekking poles, but only really use them snowshoeing. For general backpacking and mountain hunting, for me the cane is the only way to go. I truly dislike having both hands committed to trekking poles - think of the cane as a "walking height" ice axe. I have mine set at 90cm.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Brad - I’ve never seen such a cane. Very interesting! I may order one to try. Your emphasis on the importance of a third point of contact really got me thinking.

Great post!

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Third point of contact = wider base of support

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Brad - I’ve never seen such a cane. Very interesting! I may order one to try. Your emphasis on the importance of a third point of contact really got me thinking.

Great post!

Pints, I never go anywhere in the backcountry without my cane! Us over-60 guys need all the help we can get grin

My wife snapped this of yours truly a couple weeks ago...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
^ good thing there was a bridge- that creek is rocking! laugh

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mtwarden
^ good thing there was a bridge- that creek is rocking! laugh

It really was! Heck of a snowpack in the Gallatin this year, as I'm sure it was further north your way.

As to my thinking the photo was "a couple weeks back" - well, I checked... I suppose technically June 18th was! 3 days before my 61st b-day.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We had a decent snowpack, but what made an interesting year is how long the mountains held that snow- but when it did go, it really went! laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought two different models from Tarptent this year to see if I like the trekking pole setup.

I used one on a scouting trip and liked the design, setup, and features for the weight. Basically a one man tent that can handle moderate wind and light snow, double wall, partial solid interior for blowing debris, and around two pounds +/-. I'll probably sell one, but am tempted to keep both.

Most tents that have dedicated poles that I considered were closer to three pounds, have more mesh, and are not suggested for any snow. I don't need a full blown winter tent, but want to save weight and pack space when feasible. Plus all my backpacking stuff is from the mid-nineties so it's been fun checking out the new stuff!

I like the look of the Durston X-mid as well, which is similar to the Tarptent Stratospire. Dan Durston has posted some helpful comments about materials and designs, especially what to choose for wind versus snow loads.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
^ which two shelters from TT?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stratospire 1 and Notch Li.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ahhhh- I have the Aeon Li and the Stratospire Li (2 person)- I use the Aeon backpacking outside of hunting season and winter, the Stratospire Li is pretty weatherproof (wind/rain/medium snow) and have been using it fall/winter.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mtwarden
Ahhhh- I have the Aeon Li and the Stratospire Li (2 person)- I use the Aeon backpacking outside of hunting season and winter, the Stratospire Li is pretty weatherproof (wind/rain/medium snow) and have been using it fall/winter.

The Stratospire Li seems like an awesome tent and is still at the top of my list, especially if I have one of my young children with me. If it was available when I was shopping, I definitely would have bought it and probably would have been done right there. But it hasn't been available.

I didn't want to wait until the last minute for the next expected shipment (mid September now) so I started with the Stratospire 1. I like the design and the new silpoly material in theory. Seems like a pretty solid design. But then, the "what if" crept into my brain and I bought the Notch Li that I had previously dismissed.

I haven't used the Notch Li on a trip yet, but I really like it. It's definitely small inside, but I measured it at ~1.3 pounds and it has all the features that I want. I do wish the fly went a freckle lower to the ground, but I don't see myself swapping it out for something else. Except for a two man tent if I have child with me, or I need the extra space.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Henry makes pretty darn good shelters smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,597 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.