Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
What are they worth? Anything special besides the unique layout?

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Is that the configuration known as an "Eastern Carbine"?

Lots less common than full length tube magazines, so there should be a premium, depending (of course) on condition and if it is original or not.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Eastern carbine sounds right. I know they made take down models with half tube (Win 64) with a 24" barrel, and another model with a 20" barrel, but they weren't called model 94's

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Winchester 55s that I've seen had half, "button", magazines. Winchester 64 magazines were generally referred to as "2/3" magazines.

The evolved 1892s that were comparable to the Models 55 and 64 were the Models 53 and 65.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Often a full tube gun has change of impact depending on tube load and as the barrel heats. I have found less of such issue with half tube guns.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Any idea what one might be worth? Drilled and tapped for an old style scope mount, But good wood. Only missing bluing on the receiver which is near polished white. I didn't think the receiver problems came until later.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Too many assumptions required here. First, presumably a true Model 94, versus the above noted Model 55 'fitting your bill' BUT a longer barrel and nomenclature. The Model 64 referenced, totally 'another' with pistol grip from point of intro in 1932. About that time the "Winchester Proof Steel" (Chrome Moly) barrel for many Winchesters intro'ed. Also for the 94 the streamlined barrel integral ramp sight base. Thru about 1937, a "carbine" stock offered as standard on this newer model. Also, some bluing problems, yet for my money, worth the update advantages. I know far less about the earlier ones going back to black powder era market entry. That before the "Nickel Steel" barrel intro occurring in 'maybe' first few years of the Century? As moving forward from my rifle thirties era, fairly static production of the 94 until production down to maybe double digits from '43 to late '45 and resumed about the same design format. I recall mine as successor with butt plate change associated with moving from Carbine butt stock. Some of course yet with saddle rings. Most not.
A 'net' here with the half tube as most probably not original if your barrel length standard 20". Ever recall, the chances of such as "special order" which was entertained generally 'at a price'. 'Factory likelihood', far less than Bubba's own 'du jour' revamping. I'd be concerned about such as both alteration for depreciated value as well as functioning if original mag spring retained.
The net, net, you've really supplied so little info, my superficial coverage here as 'guesstimates!' And I'm yet an amateur! I'm prejudiced as feeling my own Model 94 sweet spot in that new barrel, old carbine stock era 32 or so to as noted about 37. Notably (unlike the Model 64 from inception) these era 94 carbines NOT drilled for receiver sight side mount. That a "strict collector" as irreparable tilt. For great shooter and negotiating point, to save $$$. As speaking of side mount, to a true collector... "Truck rifle!"
A 'parting shot' about a rare factory variation of latter twenties as authentic "barrel clean-up model with reused Model 95 barrels. Very rare. I do have one but even if such, the rifle you described as moved only to "rare truck gun". Sorry for frankness, but so many guns from woodwork with side mounts. Same story across myriad Mfgs and models!

Good luck & Best!
John

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by iskra
Too many assumptions required here. First, presumably a true Model 94, versus the above noted Model 55 'fitting your bill' BUT a longer barrel and nomenclature. The Model 64 referenced, totally 'another' with pistol grip from point of intro in 1932. About that time the "Winchester Proof Steel" (Chrome Moly) barrel for many Winchesters intro'ed. Also for the 94 the streamlined barrel integral ramp sight base. Thru about 1937, a "carbine" stock offered as standard on this newer model. Also, some bluing problems, yet for my money, worth the update advantages. I know far less about the earlier ones going back to black powder era market entry. That before the "Nickel Steel" barrel intro occurring in 'maybe' first few years of the Century? As moving forward from my rifle thirties era, fairly static production of the 94 until production down to maybe double digits from '43 to late '45 and resumed about the same design format. I recall mine as successor with butt plate change associated with moving from Carbine butt stock. Some of course yet with saddle rings. Most not.
A 'net' here with the half tube as most probably not original if your barrel length standard 20". Ever recall, the chances of such as "special order" which was entertained generally 'at a price'. 'Factory likelihood', far less than Bubba's own 'du jour' revamping. I'd be concerned about such as both alteration for depreciated value as well as functioning if original mag spring retained.
The net, net, you've really supplied so little info, my superficial coverage here as 'guesstimates!' And I'm yet an amateur! I'm prejudiced as feeling my own Model 94 sweet spot in that new barrel, old carbine stock era 32 or so to as noted about 37. Notably (unlike the Model 64 from inception) these era 94 carbines NOT drilled for receiver sight side mount. That a "strict collector" as irreparable tilt. For great shooter and negotiating point, to save $$$. As speaking of side mount, to a true collector... "Truck rifle!"
A 'parting shot' about a rare factory variation of latter twenties as authentic "barrel clean-up model with reused Model 95 barrels. Very rare. I do have one but even if such, the rifle you described as moved only to "rare truck gun". Sorry for frankness, but so many guns from woodwork with side mounts. Same story across myriad Mfgs and models!

Good luck & Best!
John

What DaFurk does all of this mean ? Reads like a jap trying to write English.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I built this one one time from an old 1894 that had a refinished stock and a jacked up mag tube. Had a postal proofed bbl that naturally wasn’t as old as the rest of the rifle. I ended up trading it off.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Is that the configuration known as an "Eastern Carbine"?

Lots less common than full length tube magazines, so there should be a premium, depending (of course) on condition and if it is original or not.

Eastern carbine is without the saddle ring. They were manufactured that way later than the standard SRC.

Half magazine guns, generally are less valuable than full magazine guns. Rarity isn’t always the main component in determining value of a gun…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Be it Winchester or Marlin, I still prefer a half-tube.

Last edited by WStrayer; 08/12/22.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Late getting back. Is the photo below anything such as you're seeking? This NFS, but the pattern?
Best!
John

Originally Posted by EddieSouthgate
Originally Posted by iskra

Good luck & Best!
John

What DaFurk does all of this mean ? Reads like a jap trying to write English.

EDDIE ~ GREAT - NEWS. THERE - ARE - MANY - PROGRAMS - AVAILABLE - FOR - CHALLENGED - PEOPLE - JUST - LIKE - YOU. EDDY - YOU - ARE - NOT - ALONE! SEEK - HELP!

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Bit late in getting back. Perhaps the below rifle is the sort of "half magazine config.

Winchester '94 Extra Lightweight Rifle, Takedown, 30 WCF.
(NFS!)
Good luck!
John

Attached Images
R311-2U.jpg (22.65 KB, 70 downloads)
R311-3.jpg (23.21 KB, 71 downloads)
R311-13U.jpg (24.33 KB, 70 downloads)
Last edited by iskra; 08/20/22.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Spring,
I bought one in near new, or with 0 blemishes for $950 earlier this year, haven’t taken it to the range yet, mine is a 45-70.
Plenty of bullet sizes available, but they are high. This gun is for the long ride through timber each day getting back as far as possible for elk, I had a 450 Marlin Browning for the job but I have a longer build and wanted a longer heavier lever gun.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Sharecropper
Spring,
I bought one in near new, or with 0 blemishes for $950 earlier this year, haven’t taken it to the range yet, mine is a 45-70.
Plenty of bullet sizes available, but they are high. This gun is for the long ride through timber each day getting back as far as possible for elk, I had a 450 Marlin Browning for the job but I have a longer build and wanted a longer heavier lever gun.

Congrats on your 45-70 as guessing you're referring to one of the current Vintage Miroku Winchesters, sliding tang safety, etc. Best of the "safety clad" lot! For my money, my Miroku Browning of 1991. I'd admired a friends earlier edition. Big long barreled octagon. Heavy! Found this 'NIB' Carbine in 45-70 and snapped it up. Like the carbine config with it's Win correct flip up ladder sight, full mag tube and carbine butt plate! A great package & real keeper. Couple of pix below. smile

Best!
John

Disclaimer: As just noted: The prominent "butt shot" is Website configuration. "Not Mooning!" smile smile smile

Attached Images
R146-2U.jpg (26.14 KB, 59 downloads)
R146-19U.jpg (19.09 KB, 58 downloads)
R146-20U.jpg (7.33 KB, 58 downloads)
R146-3.jpg (14.5 KB, 58 downloads)
Last edited by iskra; 08/20/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Like so many other things in life...it depends.

[Linked Image]

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
85 members (338reddog, 308ld, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,582 guests, and 752 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,759
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.