Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Steve Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by abbydog
Nevada may not have state income tax; like getting a raise. Iā€™ m sure someone on the fire can fill you in.

They don't. Like giving myself a 9.9% raise.

Carpe' Scrotum
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve
Retirement, here I come

Good for you, man!

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Congrats, but why are you waiting that long? Once you decide to go, go. 2 weeks notice hit the road no money in letting them fug with you any longer than that....mb
I retired 50 weeks ago

Congrads BUT give your notice and leave!

Last year I waited 3 months to help out a project which was the biggest mistake I could of done!!

No thanks and it cost me time I could have been getting my place ready for deer season! I could have been back home here in PA so much sooner!

As for money it's crazy how I worried about cash but my money manager has me setup with more $$$$ a month than when I was working!

Last edited by old_willys; 08/11/22.

Ted
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by Raeford
Enjoy it!

We just had an inquiry-soft offer on our primary house/land in Virginia[as in yesterday] from a local developer.

Has my head spinning to be honest.

Shutter the famdamily business after 80 years[39 for me] and walk away?
Selling would facilitate the above.

Struggling, dad worked here until 80+, grandad worked here until the day he died.

Again ENJOY!

Don't be like Dad, or especially Grandad.

No way! Dad has been pushing me to close it.
Wife and I[she's here as well] have been working on an exit strategy since covid hit, the call yesterday came out of the blue.
I could walk from the business easier than I can walk from the property that has been my primary hunting grounds for 25 years.
The land our son grew up hunting on, he'll be heartbroken even though he has plenty of other places now including his inlaws where he lives.
Doing this basically means leaving everything that we've known for the past 25 years from work to play.

Total quick upheaval. Head spinning!

That part about leaving your hunting grounds kinda sucks. Renegade and slummy tell us there's hunting in TN at least.

Are you going to try to sell you business? Just shut it down? Seems if it's been paying your family's bills for a couple of generations, there might be a person that would like something like that?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Retirement. The best job I ever had.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.ā€

Patrick Henry
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats Steve,

Make a plan and stick to it or you may find out the hard way you should have. It will still be a darn fine feeling when you walk away from your job and your plan is intact. I retired when I turned 65, about 4 years ago now and I love it but I can't figure out where the time keeps going....

Hope everything works out for you whereever you land. Lots of great places to live and explore but even though this state is going to hell in a handbasket, I just can't talk myself into leaving everything I enjoy here- ocean, mountains, desert, fishing, fairly decent weather most of the time, and a few other things I can't remember at the moment. wink You can always come back and visit, right?

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Job's been getting to be less fun and more of a job. Been talking to the wife. Talked to our financial guy just now and he says I can retire anytime and expect to get 120% of our monthly expenses in income.

So, baring a getting hit by an errant drone, looks like sometime early next year.

Got a trip planned to look for new diggs in the Utah/Arizona/Nevada region.

Best news I've had today.

Congratulations. I am not far behind you. Check out the Cedar City UT area. One of the more affordable places I looked over in UT and AZ. Good climate. Lots of room to roam on public land nearby. Beautiful area (not so much the town, but very close by.)

Steve Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Job's been getting to be less fun and more of a job. Been talking to the wife. Talked to our financial guy just now and he says I can retire anytime and expect to get 120% of our monthly expenses in income.

So, baring a getting hit by an errant drone, looks like sometime early next year.

Got a trip planned to look for new diggs in the Utah/Arizona/Nevada region.

Best news I've had today.

Congratulations. I am not far behind you. Check out the Cedar City UT area. One of the more affordable places I looked over in UT and AZ. Good climate. Lots of room to roam on public land nearby. Beautiful area (not so much the town, but very close by.)

Thanks! Maybe we'll swing up there on our scouting trip.

Carpe' Scrotum
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Steve: I have been retired 25 full years now and it is simply INCREDIBLY WONDERFUL!
I hope your retirement is as long and as enjoyable as mine has been.
Congratulations and stay safe til early next year - and beyond.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by smarquez
Congrats, but why are you waiting that long? Once you decide to go, go. 2 weeks notice hit the road no money in letting them fug with you any longer than that....mb

Why the 2 week notice? It's not like he might need to go back to work there.

Well smarquez I'm honest enough to say I don't know how it works where your at. I worked for the state of South Dakota and if you don't give them 2 weeks notice the BOP will drag their feet and make sure you get screwed out of your first retirement check even though the SDRS is a separate entity. I have friends who know make sure I knew that..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B3

Steve Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smarquez

Why the 2 week notice? It's not like he might need to go back to work there.

Well smarquez I'm honest enough to say I don't know how it works where your at. I worked for the state of South Dakota and if you don't give them 2 weeks notice the BOP will drag their feet and make sure you get screwed out of your first retirement check even though the SDRS is a separate entity. I have friends who know make sure I knew that..mb

Wife and I need to work things out. Also it works out better to do it on the New Year for SS reasons. It's all new info and we're trying to come up with a plan. Nice to have cash flow while doing so.

Also my employer has been nothing but good to me. And, despite those who know me personally, I really try not to be a dick. But it does come naturally.

My work is VERY technical and specialized. Getting someone up to speed would take a month or so. I wouldn't want to leave them in a bind.

Carpe' Scrotum
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I was over 70 when I retired, and the first thing I got was a penile implant.

Works great! Now I can find it when I have to pee.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations, Enjoy yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good for you man and congratulations. I'm loving retirement.

Got time to putter around. You should see my new chickens.

Last edited by Morewood; 08/11/22.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Congrats!

I am so in love with my work and can't stop.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Welcome to the club Steve! Nice planning!

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Good for you. Enjoy life now. I retired 8 years ago at 49. Made it 5 years before I started going stir crazy. You can only fish, hunt, cut firewood, camp, boat ext. I had lost me sence of purpose. Trust me I do not need the money and my health benefits cover me and the wife until we are dead. Being a retired LEO of 25 years, I was offered a pert time job as a school police officer. Two of us cover the 40hr week. The guy I work w does not hunt. So I get to chase gobblers in the spring and elk/ deer in the fall.

Retirement is not what everyone thinks. Or maybe I just am different.

Don't gobble at me
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Yes, welcome to the club. I have been retired for 5 years. Your gonna Love it. I have no problem keeping busy doing what ever I want to do. When ever I want to do it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fullfan
Good for you. Enjoy life now. I retired 8 years ago at 49. Made it 5 years before I started going stir crazy. You can only fish, hunt, cut firewood, camp, boat ext. I had lost me sence of purpose. Trust me I do not need the money and my health benefits cover me and the wife until we are dead. Being a retired LEO of 25 years, I was offered a pert time job as a school police officer. Two of us cover the 40hr week. The guy I work w does not hunt. So I get to chase gobblers in the spring and elk/ deer in the fall.

Retirement is not what everyone thinks. Or maybe I just am different.

As ready as I am to be fully retired, I think I'll end up wanting something to do. Probably not for the first few years. I may do some volunteer work of some sort. I might get on the HOA board. That would occupy my time and give me a chance to get back at jackasses who don't want to cut their grass.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Valsdad
That part about leaving your hunting grounds kinda sucks. Renegade and slummy tell us there's hunting in TN at least.

Are you going to try to sell you business? Just shut it down? Seems if it's been paying your family's bills for a couple of generations, there might be a person that would like something like that?

It's down to pretty much just famdamily working it other than a couple of delivery persons and one other long term employee.
Oldest brother works 3 days a week for something to do[sold his insurance agency 5 years ago].

Most likely close as there really isn't much of a market anyhow, leaves me with a 7000 sq ft building sitting 4 blocks from a 10K student college to dispose of and add to retirement savings.

Will most likely contact a realtor friend tomorrow when we get to Tenn about the lot I mentioned.

I do have a friend near Slum/Ren with a hunt camp that has offered to let me come hunt some.

FJB & FJT
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 65 invisible), 2,980 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,148
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.