S
such an ignorant statement

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunzo
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
How many years old is that article?

I recall reading it when it came out in Handgunner years back, but it has been a while.

Yes, it is click bait stuff, when you don't have anything new or exciting to write about, you have to drum up strawman type things like this to attack and refute.

Not much for original material I guess.

Bingo! Just tryin to stir up the readers, Taffin had a counterpoint article in the same issue as I recall. A revolver version of the popular 9mm vs. 45ACP discussions back in the day. It apparently didn't fly well as it petered out quickly.

It seemed like a gimmick by the magazine, Venturino, and Taffin. No doubt that the two authors had their cartridge preferences, but it seemed like more of a staged debate.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by GunGeek
.38 Special standard pressure as originally loaded with a 158 grain lead round nose is just an obsolete cartridge, and dumb azz LE agencies just refused to recognize for decades how inappropriate that cartridge was. When developed the acid test for handgun performance was penetration through 3/4" or 1" pine boards. In that test the 158 grain LRN actually performed rather well, so everyone kept convincing themselves the .38 had the goods. And sadly it took about a generation for some LE agencies to wake up. NYPD used the round for something like 80 years!

Modern .38 Specail +P is a very different story. Heavy loads and good JHP's bring the .38 Special up to roughly 9mm-P performance when fired from similar barrel lengths. Which puts it into the adequate category, and that's about it. The .38 Special of today is finally adequate, nearly a century later!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by GunGeek
.38 Special standard pressure as originally loaded with a 158 grain lead round nose is just an obsolete cartridge, and dumb azz LE agencies just refused to recognize for decades how inappropriate that cartridge was. When developed the acid test for handgun performance was penetration through 3/4" or 1" pine boards. In that test the 158 grain LRN actually performed rather well, so everyone kept convincing themselves the .38 had the goods. And sadly it took about a generation for some LE agencies to wake up. NYPD used the round for something like 80 years!

Modern .38 Specail +P is a very different story. Heavy loads and good JHP's bring the .38 Special up to roughly 9mm-P performance when fired from similar barrel lengths. Which puts it into the adequate category, and that's about it. The .38 Special of today is finally adequate, nearly a century later!

one would be wise to not use NYPD as any kind of benchmark as a LE firearms tactics/technology status

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
For some reason, people think that mass and energy matters when shooting a human being, but small calibers and shot placement means more on game…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by shrapnel
For some reason, people think that mass and energy matters when shooting a human being, but small calibers and shot placement means more on game…

You know, people hate it when you say things like that...

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I always thought a 220 Swift would have been just the choice of OJ.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I was out this morning doing some work.

Took some time and shot a couple of groups, using my .44 Special 240 hardcast SWC load that clocks at 900 FPS from a 5" barrel.

It gets the job done.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Glad to see you are continuing your streak of screwing up groups laugh

Internet analysis: 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact

Fools & fanatics are always so certain and wise people are always so questioning

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I was out this morning doing some work.

Took some time and shot a couple of groups, using my .44 Special 240 hardcast SWC load that clocks at 900 FPS from a 5" barrel.

It gets the job done.

I really enjoy mine. I wouldn't trade it for a .44 mag. Nuff said.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Mike_Dettorre
Glad to see you are continuing your streak of screwing up groups laugh

Its a gift I have!

Just have to throw one! laugh

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Out Fucqing standing.

Years ago I loaded up some 240-250 grainers with 14 grains of 2400. They were a lot of fun to shoot out of the 8 inch Anaconda.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not sure if it's "special" but over time the number of 44 Magnum revolvers has decreased to one; my Model 69 w/ 4.25-inch barrel and the number of 44 Specials has increased.

In my misspent youth I was shooting 44 Magnum loads as hot as the gun could stand (the guns for the most part held up way better than I did). Over time sanity prevailed, and I found 240/250 grain bullets at 1000-1100 FPS much more enjoyable.

My first 44 Special was one of the Lipsey's first run (2008?) Ruger New Model "Flat Top" Blackhawk w/ a 5.5-inch barrel, 7.5 grains of Unique w/ a cast 240 grain bullet were a perfect match. Then a S&W Model 21-6, S&W Model 696 and finally one of the Jeff Quinn Lipsey run GP-100's a couple of years ago.

Actually, the S&W Model 69 might be the "perfect" 44 Special.

StarchedCover

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
IMO the last sentence should have read "In my opinion.", rather than "Just the truth.".

Most people can shoot the .44 Special better than they can the .44 Magnum because of the reduced recoil. The S&W 329PD is, shall we say, a handful when you shoot full power .44 Magnum loads in it with the original grips, while it is much more user friendly with 240 grain ammo loaded at 1,000 fps. A lot of 329PDs got sold because the people who bought them found the recoil to be uncomfortable. When I bought mine back in 12/05 it came with 40 rounds of .44 Magnum ammo. It appears that the previous owner gave up on it after firing only 10 rounds.

A lot of the more recent .44 Special revolvers have been 5-shooters that were built on smaller frames, like the Rossi 720 and Taurus 431/441. I have a couple of N-frame S&W 624s, a 4" and a custom 5", but don't use them very often as the Rossi 720 and 4" Taurus 441 serve my purposes just as well in a slightly smaller, slightly lighter, package.

I have had the forcing cones reamed in all of them, as I do with all of my shooter revolvers. Ahlman's tunes them and reams the forcing cone before I take them to the range for the first time. I see no need to waste ammo on a revolver before Ahlman's has worked it over.

Controversy produced clicks.

I came upon my first 329 because I wanted a very light 44 mag. It wasn’t even that much fun with the moderate Win white box 240’s at ~ 1150 fps with the rubber grips and a glove. It eventually gave way to a RRH 45 Colt which I used on some big game (bison, elk) with BB 325’s FNHCs at 1325 fps. They were unpleasant too, even in the heavy Redhawk. They wore on you, sorta like getting a tooth drilled on for an hour or so. I had reached my joy-sorrow nexus with that load. I’m just not a wrist-wrenching guy.

My present 329 came with a new purpose. I got it from a bowhunting friend who carried it in SW Montana. With it came an assortment of 44 Special loads and an old box of CorBon 305’s (1300 fps). There was one missing. He advised that upon that one shot, he learned all that he needed to know and I think switched to some 44 Special load while elk hunting.

He has now switched to a Kimber 10mm. My purpose for this second 329 s solely for having a good, very light 44 Special. A 240-255-gr at 900-1000 fps is like a wink from a pretty dental technician compared to those real snobberknockers. And where I hunt for deer it’ll work fine.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's mine. This pistol in a .44 MAG would be unpleasant.

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Sweet looking ride TC1!

Internet analysis: 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact

Fools & fanatics are always so certain and wise people are always so questioning

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by TC1

Absolutely Beautiful.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by TC1

That one is Special in a couple of different ways. I bet MV would agree no matter what he wrote in the article.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by TC1

Well aren’t you a fancy pants…

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You want to see fancy - you should see some of TC1's rifles

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,313
Posts18,468,297
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.