Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I had a friend who wanted me to set up his new Mod 742 (back in the early 80s) 30-06 with a scope and zero it for him. Gave me the rifle/scope and a wad of cash. I mounted the Weaver 2x7 on it, and started out with plain Corlokts in 150ptd. It didn't want to shoot well. On a whim, I tried a box of 180 RN Corlokts, and bingo, shot like a varmint rifle! We went to GA and he shot a 180 pound buck out around 80 yds. Nice, 50 cent pc hole all the way through, no bloodshot meat. He thought I was "an expert", ha. Had another friend who used nothing but the 220 RN Corlokts on those small SE Tex bucks/hogs.

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 08/11/22.
GB1

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
4D can rent you a throating reamer.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Great looking load there Super Cub!! May load some for my .300 H & H this fall.

Molon Labe
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I had a friend who wanted me to set up his new Mod 742 (back in the early 80s) 30-06 with a scope and zero it for him. Gave me the rifle/scope and a wad of cash. I mounted the Weaver 2x7 on it, and started out with plain Corlokts in 150ptd. It didn't want to shoot well. On a whim, I tried a box of 180 RN Corlokts, and bingo, shot like a varmint rifle! We went to GA and he shot a 180 pound buck out around 80 yds. Nice, 50 cent pc hole all the way through, no bloodshot meat. He thought I was "an expert", ha. Had another friend who used nothing but the 220 RN Corlokts on those small SE Tex bucks/hogs.

My first Deer rifle that I purchased was a Remington 788 in .308 Win. My Father and Uncle happened to attend an auction one day and he won 6 boxes of Remington 180 Cor-lokt RN cartridges for my rifle. We went to zero the rifles before the Michigan opener at my uncle's place, the target, which was simply a plastic coffee can lid nailed to a pallet at 100 yards, was all he ever used for checking zero of his rifles. I lined up for my first shot, aiming at the galvanized roofing nail in the center, and promptly knocked the coffee lid right off the pallet. My Uncle, a slightly cynical sort, asked where I had been aiming, to which I replied "the nail". He tacked it back up and snorted "try it again"......so I did! LOL took the nail right out and flopped the lid onto the ground.....Uncle grudgingly mumbled " that's good enough"! LOL Sure miss him and my father.......

The purpose of that family story is to highlight that I too found RN bullets (especially the Remington Cor-Lokt 180 .308 Win) to be amazingly accurate, and every deer I fired at with that rifle/load died almost instantly. Wish I had more of that old load for that rifle, which I still own.

Frog----OUT

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by frogman43

My first Deer rifle that I purchased was a Remington 788 in .308 Win. My Father and Uncle happened to attend an auction one day and he won 6 boxes of Remington 180 Cor-lokt RN cartridges for my rifle. We went to zero the rifles before the Michigan opener at my uncle's place, the target, which was simply a plastic coffee can lid nailed to a pallet at 100 yards, was all he ever used for checking zero of his rifles. I lined up for my first shot, aiming at the galvanized roofing nail in the center, and promptly knocked the coffee lid right off the pallet. My Uncle, a slightly cynical sort, asked where I had been aiming, to which I replied "the nail". He tacked it back up and snorted "try it again"......so I did! LOL took the nail right out and flopped the lid onto the ground.....Uncle grudgingly mumbled " that's good enough"! LOL Sure miss him and my father.......

The purpose of that family story is to highlight that I too found RN bullets (especially the Remington Cor-Lokt 180 .308 Win) to be amazingly accurate, and every deer I fired at with that rifle/load died almost instantly. Wish I had more of that old load for that rifle, which I still own.

Frog----OUT
I've shot some deer with that very factory load. It works.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by UpThePole
4D can rent you a throating reamer.

I thought about that but don't want to mess with the rifle now. It shoots 120gr NBTs consistently well for deer and 160gr NPs for moose.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
Originally Posted by frogman43

Frog----OUT
I've shot some deer with that very factory load. It works.

Probably 40 years back before I stopped reloading for others, a friend asked me to load some 308 for his rifle. At that time, I was pretty sure I could top most any factory load available with my handloads so I asked him to send a few of what he was shooting along with the rifle. I wanted to brag a little about the accuracy of my handloads. They turned out to be the 180 RN Remington CLs. Bottom line was that what I sent back to him DID NOT better the Remingtons. Not sure I even matched them.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Looks right to me.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

grin

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've got an old book titled "The Grizzly Bear" in which the author hunted grizzlies in the western US and Canada with an Winchester HI Wall 45-100 if I recall correctly. While on an hunt in Idaho he and his partner managed to get ahold of an 30-40 Krag and they ended up taking an grizzly with it. From what I recall it mentioned how impressed they were with the performance of the fast moving 30-40. This was before the advent of the 30-06 and probably Spitzer bullets and I think it's safe to assume that they were using heavy for caliber 200 or most likely 220gr roundnose bullets which were perfect for the area in the Lochsa they were hunting in.

Anyway just a throwback out of an old book back when the 220gr roundnose ruled the roost for game hunting.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
I've got an old book titled "The Grizzly Bear" in which the author hunted grizzlies in the western US and Canada with an Winchester HI Wall 45-100 if I recall correctly. While on an hunt in Idaho he and his partner managed to get ahold of an 30-40 Krag and they ended up taking an grizzly with it. From what I recall it mentioned how impressed they were with the performance of the fast moving 30-40. This was before the advent of the 30-06 and probably Spitzer bullets and I think it's safe to assume that they were using heavy for caliber 200 or most likely 220gr roundnose bullets which were perfect for the area in the Lochsa they were hunting in.

Anyway just a throwback out of an old book back when the 220gr roundnose ruled the roost for game hunting.

Great story!!! Thanks.

This years choice for elk. .30 US and I will be shooting Hornady220 RN’s!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by kaywoodie; 08/13/22.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have a copy of that book also..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker

Great story!!! Thanks.

This years choice for elk. .30 US and I will be shooting Hornady220 RN’s!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I used the same Hornady on my one and (so far) only bear. I used an 1895 Browning in 30/40. My guide was impressed the way it went penetrated the bear and drilled through a 5" sapling on the other side. Bear died quick and no bloodshot meat.

"All I want is to enter my house justified."
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I had a 783 I got on the cheap that I tried to 220RN Hornady's in. Good Lord would that thing group em with 4831.... Sold the gun before I ever got to hunt with it tho.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Some years I've had incredibly good luck finding bullets. Some deals you just dream about. There's the time at a gun show where a guy set up next to and started piling boxes upon boxes of Nosler Partitions in .270, 7MM and 30 caliber. Said he was too old the shoot anymore so selling off what he had. We dickered a little bibe and settled $10.00 a box for the bullets and I bought everything he had. Wiped out my gun buying money but I have a lifetime and then some of Nosler bullets.

However, what I consider my real wins are the 170 gr; Sierra 7mms and .30 caliber 220 gr. Sierras I scored. Not much of a story on the 30s, just found them here and there at various gun shows and out of the way shops. The 175 gr. 7MMs though are a bit of a different thing Found them of all places in a little second hand store. Six boxes still sealed. Talking to the lady there I asked how much? She said she had no idea and she would have to ask the manager. Well after haggling with the manager I walked out for the place with all six of those still sealed boxes of bullets.

I haven't shot any in my .280 yet but they're accurate as all get out in my three 7x57 rifles. I dunno when Sierra dropped that bullet but it was already gone in 1973 when I called about trying to find some for a new to me 7x57 Mauser I bought. When I asked if They would ever do another run he somewhat snottily said, "Probably never."
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I see that one seller on GB has Hornady 30 cal 220gr RN now for $30 per hundred. He has 11 boxes. Just FYI.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by WMR
I see that one seller on GB has Hornady 30 cal 220gr RN now for $30 per hundred. He has 11 boxes. Just FYI.
and $21 to ship!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Both hornady and sierra round nose bullets work the same on game. Buy whichever one you can find. There isnt a better bullet for on game performance when it comes to deer size game. They out perform a spitzer bullet in every way when you want an animal down on the ground as fast as possible. Dont let velocity scare you either. I've used them in everything from 3006 up to 30 nosler. They just flat out work and have been one of the most popular bullets in the mountains here for many, many years. Rem 7600 in 3006 with 180 gn round nose is the official deer setup for central pa woods

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My favorite was the Speer 180 grain roundnose. Guess those are gone .. minus the half box on my shelf. frown While not a roundnose, the protected point version of the 180 grain partition shoots well in my .308. Eventually I plan to try the 170 grain roundnose partition as well. Why? Boredom! No practical reason for me to shoot anything but the 165 grain accubonds .. but I do anyway.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by blairvt
Originally Posted by WMR
and $21 to ship!

The listing I saw is from a place called 2A Tactical. The listing says $12 shipping. Not sure if you'd do better if you bought more than one box. I've never dealt with them before. I just saw the listing.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm not sure about the .308 caliber but use the Hornady 154's in the 7mm, Great bullet and stocked up when I could. As others have said, they are going away quick unless designed for lever action cartridges

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

698 members (163dm, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,993 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,578
Posts18,454,049
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.