Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Wondering how many of you guys use a progressive press?

I am considering getting one for pistol. I like to recreationally shoot USPSA which is the only action style pistol near here other than cowboy action. I load in kind of large batches with a couple of single stages setup so I don't have to swap out dies but it is still labor intensive. I would like to shoot more and my sons also are shooting more so it may be time to go progressive.

I am not in the need for a large automated machine like the Dillon 1000 but am thinking more along the lines of the Dillon 550. I would entertain other brand progressive's but have heard pretty mixed reviews.

Mostly loading 45 acp, but I do load 45 colt though not in real large batches, 223, and other rifle cartridges. I could see perhaps loading 9mm or another pistol cartridges in the future but not right at the moment.

I am trying to keep this economical as possible and am probably even looking at the used market as well. I don't really anticipate loading rifle on it. I have 3 single stage presses that can handle that duty.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am a Bullseye pistol shooter, so I shoot high quantities of 45acp. I have always used C-H Mark V and VI presses. Production of these is discontinued but parts are readily available. If you happen to find one for sale, you won't go wrong and it will be cheaper than new alternatives. They aren't easy to change from caliber to caliber so I never do it. One is dedicated to 45 acp and the other for 38 sp. Most of the current Bullseye shooter use the Dillion products in one flavor or another and seem to happy with them.
Phil

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I loaded single stage for years until I began shooting Cowboy Action a couple of years ago. I bought a used Dillon 650 and couldn't be happier. I load 9mm, 38 special, 357 mag, 40 s&w, 45 acp, 45 colt, 223/556 and 308 on it. Takes about two minutes to change from one caliber to the next. Customer service is outstanding and the machines are easy to use and adjust. I would say a 550 but it is manual index and with your boys shooting too the auto index will save a lot of time.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I've never met a person that bought a Dillon and regretted it. I've met a few that bought other brands and did regret it. I'm retired and don't feel I have a need for a progressive. If I did buy one, it would be a Dillon I could load rifle and pistol cartridges with.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Don't get the 550, go with the 750 - you'll be glad you did.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In the '80s I was doing enough rifle, pistol, and shotgun shooting to justify me in buying progressive presses for almost all of my reloading. In the '80s and '90s I was competing in Trap and later Skeet and loading and shooting 10K shotshells every year so I bought 4 Pacific/Hornady 366 progressive shotshell loaders, one each for 12, 20, 28 ga, and .410 shotshells. I no longer compete in shotgun events, but I still load and shoot about 5K shotshells every year. I also don't do any kind of rifle or pistol competitions, but I still load and shoot several thousand rifle and pistol cartridges every year. Enough to make me appreciate my Dillon and Hornady progressive loaders, even if I am retired.

Buy carbide size dies for your pistol reloading and you'll save all the time that that it takes to lube and clean the lube off of your cases. I load 4 pistol calibers on mine, and I bought extra seat/crimp dies for my .357 and .44 magnum and .38 and .44 Special loading. The other two pistol cartridges that I loadon my Dillon are .45 acp and 9 mm Luger. I also load all of my .223 and .308 Win shells on my Dillon, and I bought Lee Collet Neck Sizing Dies to also eliminate lubing them.

I also bought Lee Collet Neck Size Dies for several of my other rifle cartridges, up to .300 Weatherby, and I like to weigh the powder charges of most of my rifle cartridges, but I could still load them on my Dillon.

I put a spacer under the die holder on my RCBS Rockchucker press so the die settings are the same for that press and my Dillon.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It won't do the .223, but Dillon's Square Deal B will do all the handgun cartridges. It is the least expensive of all their progressives. Quick change set up from one cartridge to a different one is about $125 I think .

I can load about 350 rounds an hour after I am all set up..

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The 550 is probably the way to go. I won one at a pistol match in '87 or '88, and it has more than paid for itself in time saved. The manual indexing is no big deal, just get into a rhythm. I started with single stages, then bought a Square Deal (first year production) and proceeded to work it until it broke, but by then, I'd won the 550B with ammo loaded on the Square Deal. I've had the 550 ever since then.

I used to load on a single stage, even casting my own bullets, but had reached a plateau and couldn't progress until I was able to load ammo faster and more of that. I quit casting my own and started buying bullets instead. I did get a lot better, coming in 5th in my class at the '89 USPSA Nationals. That was a long time ago, though, I have nothing else to hang my hat on.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 550 and am very satisfied with it. I wanted manual indexing after using another brand's auto indexing and not liking it. Granted, it was probably the somewhat finicky operating press rather than just auto indexing, but things don't move along until I'm happy.

Using powders that can't be double-charged eases my mind quite a bit, too, though with .45 ACP that's possible but would be noticeable if so charged. I have a light in the center and each case gets a visual inspection before a bullet is placed in it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For one pistol cartridge mainly, I'd get a Square Deal B if you need less than 800rds. per week.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My next press is a Dillon 750xl

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been using a Square Deal B since 1990 without any issues. Highly recommend Dillon products.

Doc_Holidude

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J
I have been looking at a Hornady AP, seems like the lock & load system would be cheaper than buying $75. Die holders for the Dillon..

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I load mainly on single stage presses. But I bought a Dillon square deal B in 9mm. I do not change it to other calibers. I leave it in 9mm for USPCA shooting. I love the square deal press. It all depends on YOUR needs. Good shooting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had a Dillon XL650 for about 30 years. Can't imagine how much less I would have shot pistols without it. Would do it again in a heart beat though I'm principally a rifle guy. I load 9X19, 9X21, 357 and 38. I've had the press updated and have all the bells and whistles. Dillon is great on the upgrades.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
X2 on the Dillon 650- they now sell the 750 but it’s the same deal with some tweaks.

I was a high power shooter and you aren’t feeding an AR without one if you are serious about shooting matches.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a Hornady LNL and a Dillon 550 side by side. The LNL is small primer, the Dillon large primer. They both are quality machines.

NRA Life Member
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Ditto on the LNL.
A Lee turret also works, albeit one round at a time.
An RCBS Grand make great shotshells.

Last edited by UpThePole; 08/21/22.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
LNL, all day every day, even on Sunday, yes I have both.
750 and Hornady LNL

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am surprised with the last couple fellas recommending the LNL especially over the Dillon. Certainly is a little more economical to get started with the LNL but I was leary after reading some stories of LEE's system working good but took lots of tinkering and quite a few giving up and not really seeing any other recommendations other than Dillon. The new Frankford Armory one that is supposedly coming out soon looked pretty good but was hoping to find a used Dillon. I will look more seriously at the hornady offering.

Lee what made the main difference in your preference?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (406_SBC, 444Matt, 450yukon, 257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 270winchester, 18 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 806 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,380
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.