24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes BLM did, I worked for them as a backcountry ranger one summer while in college on the Rogue river. I was stationed at a remote miners cabin midway down the river and expected to report on the comings and going of hippies 🙄 So they could burn their cabins.

I was a bit more sympathetic to them than the BLM. In the cabin I also found a small vial of gold nuggets! Probably only a few penny weights of gold but a fun find. I still have it!

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not a cabin, but here is an old gold mill hidden deep in the mountains with a very rare roller style ore crusher still inside.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
There would have been large leather drive belts turning these pulleys and operating the various power equipment throughout the mill, all powered by a single engine.
[Linked Image]
Ore would be dropped in the top of the structure, through a jaw crusher, into the roller crusher to pulverize the ore, then onto the separation or cyanide tables to extract the gold.
[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
When I was riding the Colorado mountains on a trials bike early 80’s, there was a full turbine generator originally driven by water at cliffs edge above Silverton. Two floor building. Production bottom living quarters above. Crews worked two week shifts. Cable car between plant and ground transport. Rode there with a fellow whose Grandfather worked at the site. We rode in from the other side of the mountain and back the same way. Don’t know the status of it today. If the turbine was removed it would have to be done by heavy lift air I would think.
I look at the giant wind turbines here on the plains now and we will likely see the same in their future.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My father and his younger brother were playing under the old stage coach stop at Lime City Iowa around 1931. Up in the floor joist he found a Bacon 31 caliber cap and ball revolver and holster. Have it still

Last edited by blanket; 08/06/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
I live in an mountain valley and behind my residence is an old miners shack. The view from my front yard has thus old thing.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Con. Sil?

Have Dog

Will Travel

IC B2

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by blanket
My father and his younger brother were playing under the old stage coach stop at Lime City Iowa around 1931. Up in the floor joist he found a Bacon 31 caliber cap and ball revolver and holster. Have it still
It would be great to see a pic of the revolver and holster.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not Alaska, but my Dad and I were fishing and Blackbear hunting near Ear Falls Ontario in 1981.
While poking around one day we came to the old Uchi Lake Gold Mine Camp. It was abandoned many years earlier.
It appeared as if they were told, the mine is closed and everyone just left. A bunch of abanded log cabins.
Plates and silverware just sitting on tables etc.
The one cool thing we found was a purchase order for supplies.
I still have it.
I love old cabins and homesteads.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lakeside or river existing cabins in Alaska are stopovers for sled dog rigs and pilots
if bad weather sets in unexpectedly. It is an unwritten rule to replace anything that is used
and to be careful with Yukon stoves with firewood. No locks needed on doors.
Sooner and later the bears visit near my homestead land. Black bears leave if a grizzly shows up.

Same with a cabin on the AZ-NM border in Greenlee County. This is literally
Ben Lilly country in the early 1900s. He hunted there with an 1886 Winchester in 33 WCF. There are old mine and prospectors cabins near Reserve and Mogollon across the line in N.M.
Back about 10 or 15 years ago the USFS found an 1873 Winchester stuck in or near the fork of a tree in NV or WY-MT. Snow storm or lost hunter.
It was placed in their museum.

Last edited by 450Fuller; 08/07/22.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If I could figure out pics could post one

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by akpls
Originally Posted by pak
I was sitting and thinking about stuff that was commonly found in old cabins, especially the remote cabins where items were ever removed. One such oroduct came to mind and it is Buach(sp). A smoldering ring of bug repellent that was everywhere fish camp, moose camp, duck camp, airplane stuff, stuff etc. I don't know if it is still sold.
You're talking about Buhach. I was able to buy it at Samson's Hardware in Fairbanks up until about 2011-12, but there hasn't been any around for a long time now. I believe the company that made it went out of business.

I think the EPA banned it - what I was told anyway. I've a half can left. If I had known it was going to come unobtainium, I'd have stocked up.

Growing up in ND, my mother would run us kids out of the house whenever we got fly-blown and smoke those bastids to death. We have used it a lot in Alaska at our remote cabin.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
There is an old dilapidated log cabin on the property next to where we used to live that has large beautiful wood cook stove in it.
Near 6' long with the warming ovens all across the top.
The cabin has basically become brushed in and is located at the head of a creek[spring comes up]
Most could walk within 20 yards and never know the cabin is there.
For years I tried to figure a way to get that stove out and up through the holler to our property.
The hillsides are typical Appalachian[almost vertical] and thick growth.

FJB & FJT
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a cabin nestled on 40 acres near Ralph, MI in Da UP. It was built in the early 40s and has sustained a fair amount of tree damage over the years. Seems like everytime I'm up there fixing it I'll find something old that was stashed by family or friends from the past. It's been like a trip down memory lane and makes me miss some of my dearly departed family.

Attached Images
IMG_20220808_57311.jpg (32.15 KB, 511 downloads)
IMG_20220808_57410.jpg (45.47 KB, 507 downloads)

Medics bury their mistakes..
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Aside from Sam McGee, the most interesting thing I can recall was a copy of the photograph of Margaret Trudeau pantyless at Studio 54. That was around 1979 so wasn't long after the incident.

I don't recall much else from the various cabins found canoeing in Canada and those found here in Minnesota have mostly been picked clean. I tend to stay away from them as cisterns and outhouse pits aren't uncommon and I don't want to find one the hard way. I've stepped on two cistern covers that luckily held my weight so feel I have pushed my luck.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Raeford
There is an old dilapidated log cabin on the property next to where we used to live that has large beautiful wood cook stove in it.
Near 6' long with the warming ovens all across the top.
The cabin has basically become brushed in and is located at the head of a creek[spring comes up]
Most could walk within 20 yards and never know the cabin is there.
For years I tried to figure a way to get that stove out and up through the holler to our property.
The hillsides are typical Appalachian[almost vertical] and thick growth.

My guess is the best way to extract it is the way it likely went into there. Disassemble it, photograph each step for reassembly.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
These types of threads are the best. Keep the stories rolling

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Great thread!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
An old homemade bed still ‘rests’ in a circa 1910 miner’s cabin in the mountains.

[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Not an old cabin, but a find anyway. I just spent the last 2 weeks across Cook Inlet helping a friend at his tide-water property. Properties... When he bought the lodge 20 years ago, he found a Win 1300 stainless marine shotgun stashed behind the water heater. He's kept it in the lodge since. Excellent shape - some saltwater corrosion on the receiver. They have not run the lodge commercially for at least 15 years, just go over for a month or two after Bristol Bay fishing is done.

I cleaned it and his Benelli of likeness yesterday before leaving.

Those guns are hell on squirrels with #1 steel! smile

Last edited by las; 09/08/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
332 members (160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 35 invisible), 2,004 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.