24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Bought a new Extreme Weather MB .308 last Fall. Sighted it in then set it aside until the other day. The primers fired in it had shallow indents and a trace of flow. I also, though I had forgotten about it, had a misfire.

Monday I took it out to try out some loads with 130gr TTSXs. Fired two, then got several misfires in succession. Same funky-looking primers. Did a bit of searching and found some stuff on weak striker springs. Took it apart and the spring seemed pretty soft, in fact I could move it somewhat with my fingers. Called Browning/Winchester (Winchester/Browning if you prefer) and the nice lady in parts sent me a new spring and the retainer chop chop, and free. Installed it last night (the fun part) and test-fired 5 precious BR2s, albeit salvaged ones. Looks good.

Actual test-firing next week.

What fresh Hell is this?
BP-B6

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Probably sitting for a few years cocked or a bad spring from the factory. Glad you got it going.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Probably sitting for a few years cocked or a bad spring from the factory. Glad you got it going.

Definitely a bad spring. This model is new, last year perhaps. I suspect they spec light springs to ease cocking effort. It’s still pretty easy, just a touch heavier than before. Hundred year-old Mausers sit cocked for decades and still work, and my old pre-64 was thirty-something when I got it, probably cocked most of the time.

There are no aftermarket ones for the Portugal rifles, or none I found anyway. Only one spring for both long and short actions too.

Anyone else that encounters this should be sure to ask for the retainer when they order a spring, ‘cause you’re gonna be dropping it some😛.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am a big fan of the M70 Extreme Weather rifles. I've got a Portuguese version in .264WM, and the rifle is close to 1/2" MOA for 5 shots with handloads, and the action is extremely slick.

Anyone know what the "MB" in the model name stands for? MB = Match Barrel? Muzzle Brake? Something else?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Muzzle brake.

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Bought a new Extreme Weather MB .308 last Fall. Sighted it in then set it aside until the other day. The primers fired in it had shallow indents and a trace of flow. I also, though I had forgotten about it, had a misfire.

Monday I took it out to try out some loads with 130gr TTSXs. Fired two, then got several misfires in succession. Same funky-looking primers. Did a bit of searching and found some stuff on weak striker springs. Took it apart and the spring seemed pretty soft, in fact I could move it somewhat with my fingers. Called Browning/Winchester (Winchester/Browning if you prefer) and the nice lady in parts sent me a new spring and the retainer chop chop, and free. Installed it last night (the fun part) and test-fired 5 precious BR2s, albeit salvaged ones. Looks good.

Actual test-firing next week.

You should ask for a Wolfe spring.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Wolff doesn’t make one. They specifically state that their M70 springs won’t fit 2008 and later models.

Nothing at Brownells either.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shinbone
I am a big fan of the M70 Extreme Weather rifles. I've got a Portuguese version in .264WM, and the rifle is close to 1/2" MOA for 5 shots with handloads, and the action is extremely slick.

Anyone know what the "MB" in the model name stands for? MB = Match Barrel? Muzzle Brake? Something else?

If it were a creedmire, I'd say "man bun"..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The rest of the “fun” was a result of me accidentally knocking the safety off the middle position and un-cocking the bolt. Crap.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Weird that a brand new rifle would have an issue like this. Wonder where they are getting their springs from?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Dollar General? (With apologies to slumlord)

I just hope it’s not one of those deals where a company has a bunch of crap parts and keeps on using them until they’re gone. A proper spring shouldn't take a “set”. This one was packed in the box until I bought it, bolt out, and therefor cocked. Time will tell, though I mostly store stuff uncocked unless I forget.

I’m extremely pleased how they handled it. A lot of companies might have insisted on having it sent back, and with no aftermarket replacements, I’d have been stuck.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have the same rifle and haven’t had any problems. Try some CFE223 with those 130 gr. TTSX’s. I’m getting 3150 fps with great accuracy.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Gonna go with the first thing that works. This batch is H4895, but I have a whole slew of good candidates, including CFE 223, and four boxes of the TTSXs. Barnes’ data recommends TAC.

What fresh Hell is this?
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have a Extreme Weather in 243 out of the South Carolina plant (before the Portuguese models) and it is on par with my 308 Classic from the early 90’s…no problems what so ever. Never heard of spring getting weak if stored cocked but guess it could happen.I store mine uncocked always by habit. I use the Barnes 130 gr TTSX in 308 with TAC and very accurate….like 3160 or better….great bullet for Whitetail for sure. Have some CFE 223 to try but like Pappy said above Barnes recommends TAC for that bullet. Push them hard and they will not let you down.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
738 members (222ND, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,715 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.