Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith
Most people are embarrassed by schitt like this but I don't give a damn and maybe it can be a learning lesson to others. I'm an ex heroin addict. I've been clean for over 11 years and was surprisingly a functioning addict that worked a job because I had a family that I had to provide for and I knew that I needed money to support habit and wasn't willing to steal like other people. Nobody just wakes up one day and decides to be an addict. It usually starts with opioid prescriptions like it did for me. I was on vicodin for a legit medical reason and it escalated from there in a long drawn out process that once into, you look back and finally see how far you're in and it's consumed your whole life. Nothing is fun anymore without being high. Hobbies have no value. You sometimes can't even enjoy your current high because youre worried about where the next one will come from. There's no goal to look forward to except to get high. Aspirations no longer exist. I'd be a liar to say that it's not an amazing feeling. It's almost magical and you don't care how you look to the outside world because when you start to judge yourself or reflect on your own life, you can always spend another $20 and make it all disappear. That's why I empathize with people in this situation. I don't believe it's a disease like some do, but once you unlock that part of your brain it's hard to close the door. One day I didn't recognize myself in the mirror when I was higher than a kite and decided I was done so I made a pact with myself that night and stuck to it. I went to work the next day in full blown withdrawal and told my boss the deal and asked if I could have a week off and if I'd still have a job. He said to take all the time I needed. That was a rough week but I got through it and really glad that I did and I changed my life around and consider myself a better person for it. It's easy to look at a person and just call them a junkie without knowing their story or their demons that they hide from.
Glad you were able to shake it. I've always wondered, how did you do it the very first time? I could just never stick a needle in me with that stuff. Once addicted I can see it, but there had to be a first time.

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Didnt a 20 gauge take out that young fella Kobain?

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by slumlord
Ya know….If I get too deep into Nana’s peach cobbler

If Nana's cobbler causes your pupils to constrict....she left her fentanyl lollipop in there.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you for sharing!!!

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I just found out yesterday a guy I have known since grade school died from fentanyl od. We've both been in the construction biz here most of our lives. He followed his Dad into HVAC, had a successful business, family, house on the Key, blah, blah... dammit man...

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Ya know….If I get too deep into Nana’s peach cobbler

If Nana's cobbler causes your pupils to constrict....she left her fentanyl lollipop in there.
You know if you was a nurse, you could walk around with bicarb or tylenol 325 in your pocket, pull the patient’s oxys or narcods and swap em out

All day long

Go home at night and get your blast on.

Peel fentanyl patches off of patients too

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Didnt a 20 gauge take out that young fella Kobain?
Well I've got my own theory on that. Don't need to be called a whackjob today. Thanks.

R
Raeford Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by blairvt
Glad you were able to shake it. I've always wondered, how did you do it the very first time? I could just never stick a needle in me with that stuff. Once addicted I can see it, but there had to be a first time.
About 40 years back I was around some guys that were melting down percoset or something along those lines and shooting it up, they looked over at me and I was like not just no but HELL NO.
I was never a saint and never will be but there is a line I'm unwilling to cross.
They were just as casual as hell about it.
made it a point not to be around those guys again.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Across my several decades I've known 2 RN's that got hooked and ruined their careers. Long hours, occasional stress, ready availability, and a need for a little pick me up got them hooked. Eventually, inventories and some detective work found them out.

Don't really know, but I think there might be some genetic aspects to addictions. Seems there's no fighting it for some and others do one go around and never come back.

With a couple of minor medical deals (wisdom teeth and minor surgeries) I've been given some pain killers. Never did anything for me, and I rarely if ever consumed a full prescription.

Lost a distant nephew a couple years back. Likely a fentanyl laced heroin shot. Buddies left the body in the bedroom, took his credit card, and went out for a night of partying.

Cookie's (my wife) dad was a rabid alcoholic/smoker and died in his 50's. One has to sneak it into the punch bowl to get her to take a drink. We worry about our son who we think was clean as a whistle up through high school. After three months of rooming with his buddies post dropping out of college, he came home hooked on nicotine and really heavy into alcohol. Still is, and communications from prior girlfriends really point a finger at booze as a deal breaker. Hope and pray that he never samples anything else.

Might just be the circles I move in, but addiction seems more common among the folks that can least afford it.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/12/22.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Fentanyl killed my stepson 3 years ago. 3 people I know have died from it close to home. It's some bad stuff from what I hear it's not if but when it's going to kill you.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I knew a real pos who would take his Dad's morphine when he was dieing of cancer. Narcan saved his azz twice but thankfully couldn't save him from hepatitis. Need to give dope heads a chance or two to get straight, and then a bullet behind the ear.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Most people are embarrassed by schitt like this but I don't give a damn and maybe it can be a learning lesson to others. I'm an ex heroin addict. I've been clean for over 11 years and was surprisingly a functioning addict that worked a job because I had a family that I had to provide for and I knew that I needed money to support habit and wasn't willing to steal like other people. Nobody just wakes up one day and decides to be an addict. It usually starts with opioid prescriptions like it did for me. I was on vicodin for a legit medical reason and it escalated from there in a long drawn out process that once into, you look back and finally see how far you're in and it's consumed your whole life. Nothing is fun anymore without being high. Hobbies have no value. You sometimes can't even enjoy your current high because youre worried about where the next one will come from. There's no goal to look forward to except to get high. Aspirations no longer exist. I'd be a liar to say that it's not an amazing feeling. It's almost magical and you don't care how you look to the outside world because when you start to judge yourself or reflect on your own life, you can always spend another $20 and make it all disappear. That's why I empathize with people in this situation. I don't believe it's a disease like some do, but once you unlock that part of your brain it's hard to close the door. One day I didn't recognize myself in the mirror when I was higher than a kite and decided I was done so I made a pact with myself that night and stuck to it. I went to work the next day in full blown withdrawal and told my boss the deal and asked if I could have a week off and if I'd still have a job. He said to take all the time I needed. That was a rough week but I got through it and really glad that I did and I changed my life around and consider myself a better person for it. It's easy to look at a person and just call them a junkie without knowing their story or their demons that they hide from.

Glad you're still clean Mr Bearded. Cold turkey jonesin was likely no fun at all. You were really lucky to have an understanding boss, many aren't and other folks like you don't have that to fall back on, so the cycle starts again.

Re: addiction being a disease, many might disagree with you. Your phrase "but once you unlock that part of your brain it's hard to close the door." might be considered one definition of a disease.

Matters not to me, once one has lost the ability to "choose" whether one partakes or not, they've got to find a way to deal with it. Disease or not.

Anyone who's never been through withdrawals from any addiction, chosen or prescribed ........................I just hope you never have to.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
I knew a real pos who would take his Dad's morphine when he was dieing of cancer. Narcan saved his azz twice but thankfully couldn't save him from hepatitis. Need to give dope heads a chance or two to get straight, and then a bullet behind the ear.
Are you a Christian?

WWJD?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Raeford,
sorry for your friend's loss.

Any idea why they wanted to get her out of the rehab she was in?

And yeah, sometimes it's easy to be "fooled" as like some others here, I've known many people who were functioning addicts/alcoholics that kept up appearences for years, decades even. If they don't get help though, it usually surfaces pretty hard.

In it is contentment

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Val,
I think that her mom got 'played' by her. JMHO
I've met the parents multiple times[they're divorced] and mom always seemed to dote on and spoil her even though she was like 40.

Dad was always a little less doting and you could tell he just wanted her to get her sh*t together.
He's a 60+ YO that still goes out on HVAC installs[he did ours last summer].
We started out dealing with her on our HVAC and I got fairly frustrated due to it being an emergency as we had renters about to be en route from Michigan staying for 2 weeks.
I got her dads # and dropped her out of the picture.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Hell, Rush Limbaugh got hooked on prescription drugs; almost took him down for good. I remember listening to him once and people were calling in asking what was going on, because he was clearly impaired. Not long after, he went off the air to get cleaned up. Had some legal troubles out of it too related to how he got the drugs he used.

An aunt and an uncle drank themselves to death. My brother died from lung cancer after forty years of non-filtered cigarettes. I finally decided to put down my fork so I don’t get diabetes or some other fat guy disease. Fortunately, bread, ice cream, and potatoes are pretty easy for me to do without, once I got started.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I'm torn, it killed Cobain so that sucks...
Courtney Love killed Cobain.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by blairvt
Ironically I'm a type 1 diabetic so syringes have been a part of my life since the age of 2. I also lucked out because fentanyl wasn't polluting dope back when I was off the wagon or else I'd probably not be here now. The jump from oxycontin to dope was a no brainer. I could snort 220mg of Oxy in one sitting or shoot 20 dollars of dope so it was an easy choice to make. Looking back on it now, and this may not make sense to some and it's hard to explain but the social stigma made schitt even worse. The more that society makes you feel like an outcast, the worse you feel about yourself and choices so you want to escape that too. Viscous cycle.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Again, PROPS TO YOU SIR for recognizing and fighting!

FJB & FJT
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Raeford
Val,
I think that her mom got 'played' by her. JMHO
I've met the parents multiple times[they're divorced] and mom always seemed to dote on and spoil her even though she was like 40.

Dad was always a little less doting and you could tell he just wanted her to get her sh*t together.
He's a 60+ YO that still goes out on HVAC installs[he did ours last summer].
We started out dealing with her on our HVAC and I got fairly frustrated due to it being an emergency as we had renters about to be en route from Michigan staying for 2 weeks.
I got her dads # and dropped her out of the picture.

I've seen that many, many times.

Just as addiction is a real thing, so is enabling.

Sure sucks when one is trying to help a friend get clean or sober to have the family (or friends) screw things up. Had a friend on his third DUI get told by his boss he didn't need to quit drinking, just need to learn when to call a cab.

In it is contentment

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
713 members (160user, 12344mag, 222Sako, 21, 12308300, 22250rem, 69 invisible), 2,709 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,580
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.