24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Drugs are NOT a victimless crime. Our so called 'war on drugs' was a pathetic answer from our government. Other countries have slowed it down (just ask Brittany Griner) but the US has done nothing at all. The death penalty would have to be used and used effectively. None of this 20 years in prison with endless appeals stuff. Hang dealers immediately. Lock up users for lengthy sentences. I know that sounds harsh and it would be very expensive but that's what it will take to get it done.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Drugs are NOT a victimless crime. Our so called 'war on drugs' was a pathetic answer from our government. Other countries have slowed it down (just ask Brittany Griner) but the US has done nothing at all. The death penalty would have to be used and used effectively. None of this 20 years in prison with endless appeals stuff. Hang dealers immediately. Lock up users for lengthy sentences. I know that sounds harsh and it would be very expensive but that's what it will take to get it done.
No, it won't work.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I never understood the F#$K Heroin attitude. Heroin didn't jump into these peoples bodies. At one point or another, they made a conscious decision to put heroin in their bodies. I don't think anyone on this earth in unaware of the consequences. It is the same thing as if somebody blows their brains out, you gonna say F#$K guns or bullets?? What if they hang themself? F#$K rope or a sheet?

There are all kinds of items in this world that we know is no good for us or will kill us and people manage to avoid these things everyday. Some people are weak or just don't care and consciously decide to go down that path. Really can't gather the desire to walk that path now that fentanyl is rampant and killing people left and right. Believe me, if I found out my S&W 629 was known to shoot bullets backwards and blow peoples heads off, that sumbitch would be gone...

-Piss into the wind.
R
Raeford Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I've seen that many, many times.

Just as addiction is a real thing, so is enabling.

Sure sucks when one is trying to help a friend get clean or sober to have the family (or friends) screw things up. Had a friend on his third DUI get told by his boss he didn't need to quit drinking, just need to learn when to call a cab.

Wifes cousin was working for us when she got her 4th DUI.
We were out of town when we got word, so long weekend cut short.
When they released her she called all apologetic and said to me " I won't do it again and put y'all in a spot like this, promise"
I asked what, she said "drink & drive again & I'll get my jail time worked out for mostly weekends so i won't miss too much work"

I guess that'll have to be the way it is but you still done here.
She was 45 at the time.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

We know lots about the cartelsm and who they are,
They have killed more, destroyed more lives, cost more money than
Bin Laden. Why are they alive?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Drugs aren't victimless when it comes to the family and friends having to deal with the wake of destruction that addiction causes. But even so, prison isn't the right thing for these people. They need mental health services or something because throwing them into the system does nothing but fuel the urge when you start losing what little you already have. I also forget to say to the OP, im sorry about your friend and thank the rest of you for the kind words.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I prefer the Darwin approach.

Legalize all drugs, make them free and readily available.
Dispensers on every corner for the really bad ones.
It would be hell for a year or three but Gump's law would trim the population of the worst among us.
It would also bankrupt the dealers and cartels.
No time and money wasted on trials, rehab, DEA and prisons.
Also would improve the gene pool a lot.

Can't see a downside.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I've seen that many, many times.

Just as addiction is a real thing, so is enabling.

Sure sucks when one is trying to help a friend get clean or sober to have the family (or friends) screw things up. Had a friend on his third DUI get told by his boss he didn't need to quit drinking, just need to learn when to call a cab.

Wifes cousin was working for us when she got her 4th DUI.
We were out of town when we got word, so long weekend cut short.
When they released her she called all apologetic and said to me " I won't do it again and put y'all in a spot like this, promise"
I asked what, she said "drink & drive again & I'll get my jail time worked out for mostly weekends so i won't miss too much work"

I guess that'll have to be the way it is but you still done here.
She was 45 at the time.

Sorry to hear about the wife's cousin. Hopefully she got a handle on things, other than "won't drink and drive again" .

And yeah, it sounds like some of the enabling stopped with you.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith
Most people are embarrassed by schitt like this but I don't give a damn and maybe it can be a learning lesson to others. I'm an ex heroin addict. I've been clean for over 11 years and was surprisingly a functioning addict that worked a job because I had a family that I had to provide for and I knew that I needed money to support habit and wasn't willing to steal like other people. Nobody just wakes up one day and decides to be an addict. It usually starts with opioid prescriptions like it did for me. I was on vicodin for a legit medical reason and it escalated from there in a long drawn out process that once into, you look back and finally see how far you're in and it's consumed your whole life. Nothing is fun anymore without being high. Hobbies have no value. You sometimes can't even enjoy your current high because youre worried about where the next one will come from. There's no goal to look forward to except to get high. Aspirations no longer exist. I'd be a liar to say that it's not an amazing feeling. It's almost magical and you don't care how you look to the outside world because when you start to judge yourself or reflect on your own life, you can always spend another $20 and make it all disappear. That's why I empathize with people in this situation. I don't believe it's a disease like some do, but once you unlock that part of your brain it's hard to close the door. One day I didn't recognize myself in the mirror when I was higher than a kite and decided I was done so I made a pact with myself that night and stuck to it. I went to work the next day in full blown withdrawal and told my boss the deal and asked if I could have a week off and if I'd still have a job. He said to take all the time I needed. That was a rough week but I got through it and really glad that I did and I changed my life around and consider myself a better person for it. It's easy to look at a person and just call them a junkie without knowing their story or their demons that they hide from.

Congratulations. You are 1 out of a hundred, to kick that needle and walk away from it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I'm torn, it killed Cobain so that sucks...
Courtney Love killed Cobain.

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by UpThePole
I prefer the Darwin approach.

Legalize all drugs, make them free and readily available.
Dispensers on every corner for the really bad ones.
It would be hell for a year or three but Gump's law would trim the population of the worst among us.
It would also bankrupt the dealers and cartels.
No time and money wasted on trials, rehab, DEA and prisons.
Also would improve the gene pool a lot.

Can't see a downside.

You are right, family and friends should just shrug their shoulders and start smiling again after burying their loved ones. Oh our little son Johnny overdoses..well that is what he deserves I guess.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The countries that have slowed it down are those that de-criminalized it and have treated addition as a medical condition and used social programs to get people off the hard drugs.

I'm no fan of drug users and I've never even smoked pot in my life but simply with the connections between drug addiction, homelessness and mental illness I'm kinda coming around to the only way to fix this is to reopen the mental hospitals and start to treat these folks to get them off the hard drugs. From a fiscal standpoint it may be cheaper than any alternative.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
In 1970 my high school buddies Greg and Phil had just gotten back from Vietnam. They were in the Marines. I had a vacancy in the house where I was living so I let them move in. About a month later, I got up early to go to work at my construction job. I heard a commotion in Greg's bedroom, the door was open, I looked in and they were sitting on the floor, shooting heroin. I just about fainted. I was shocked. These guys had never touched anything stronger than Jack Daniels in high school, but they got on the heroin in Vietnam.
Two weeks later I moved out, I wanted nothing to do with heroin addicts.

A year later Phil died of an OD. To my surprise, Greg got off the dope, but became a world class alcoholic by age 30. He did live to be 62 years old.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Some people makes me wonder WTF?
So if a family member of friend starts down a bad road , lock ‘‘em up ?
Maybe instead of taking the easy way out you should spend at least a little time trying working with them .
While many become incorrigible fools , some do turn it around .
Even then there is a lot of damage done to family and friends .
Sometimes it’s irreparable, sometimes the doper has to realize it’s better to move on and stay out of the damaged lives , espeacially when it is a long drawn out turn around .
But I would say incarceration at first , of course scenarios may differ , is wrong song ding dong .
Locking them up will not keep them drug free , they will be locked up with total losers and early on they may not be a total loser yet .
But in jail. Or prison drugs are very readily available from perscription to black market .
There are after all , criminals of every walk in there and they have figured out all the avenues of working their trade .
A little something to think about besides a snoot in the air knee jerk
Kenneth

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pugs

The countries that have slowed it down are those that de-criminalized it and have treated addition as a medical condition and used social programs to get people off the hard drugs.

I'm no fan of drug users and I've never even smoked pot in my life but simply with the connections between drug addiction, homelessness and mental illness I'm kinda coming around to the only way to fix this is to reopen the mental hospitals and start to treat these folks to get them off the hard drugs. From a fiscal standpoint it may be cheaper than any alternative.

Pugs,

makin' sense ain't allowed in these parts.

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I’m so glad the stuff just didn’t seem to be ‘around’ when I was in my experimentation phase. Even the pills, they just didn’t seem to be around much. God knows I prob would have dabbled into it if they were. And, from my observations of those who have dabbled in, it’s a one way ride to a casket in fairly short-order.

Huge kudos to anybody who successfully kicks that schitt. Unfortunately, the only ones I know who ‘have’ haven’t really, because they’re on some prescription that basically replaces the opiate, and said prescription can also be abused to some extent. Teeny percentage of folks kick it clean and cold.

Last edited by Mr_Harry; 08/12/22.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry
I’m so glad the stuff just didn’t seem to be ‘around’ when I was in my experimentation phase. Even the pills, they just didn’t seem to be around much. God knows I prob would have dabbled into it if they were. And, from my observations of those who have dabbled in, it’s a one way ride to a casket in fairly short-order.

Huge kudos to anybody who successfully kicks that schitt. Unfortunately, the only ones I know who ‘have’ haven’t really, because they’re on some prescription that basically replaces the opiate, and said prescription can also be abused to some extent. Teeny percentage of folks kick it clean and cold.
Same with booze. Nobody ever really kicks it they just replace it with AA or some other substance. Prove me wrong bitches.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My son's half brother (ex-wife remarried) died of an overdose about a year ago. My son set him up in a travel trailer at his house as a last resort to get him clean. My son had struggled with drug issues earlier in life and wanted to help his kid brother.

One night he woke up to police/emergency lights in his front yard. His brother had called 911 after injecting some junk saying he was having trouble breathing (think George Floyd). By the time they got there his brother was dead.

Cops told my son to stay out of the trailer as it was probably fentanyl.

Told my son that he didn't 'Not do enough' and that it's not his fault. And that I was profoundly sorry for him, his mom and her husband. That I couldn't be more proud of him for what he tried to do.

Please (and I'm sure you will) tell your friend something similar.

Carpe' Scrotum
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
BeardedGunsmith…..You have my respect and admiration. Not just for being strong enough to kick the magic dragon but especially for your honesty! It’s not easy sharing a secret that we aren’t proud of but in doing so you unknowingly help others that are suffering in silence. You’re an example of success….and a living example proving that one’s current situation does not have to be permanent. I appreciate you taking the time to share that dark period with us and I wish you continued sobriety and all the happiness that life has to offer.

God bless you and yours.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
430 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 38 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,011 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,932
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.