Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I hope that everything works out for you financially and health wise! May you enjoy many years retired! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
BP-B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Raeford
Enjoy it!

We just had an inquiry-soft offer on our primary house/land in Virginia[as in yesterday] from a local developer.

Has my head spinning to be honest.

Shutter the famdamily business after 80 years[39 for me] and walk away?
Selling would facilitate the above.

Struggling, dad worked here until 80+, grandad worked here until the day he died.

Again ENJOY!

God willing...I don't want to work anywhere "until the day I die." If you've worked somewhere for almost 40 years, I'd say you've earned it.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by P_Weed
I was over 70 when I retired, and the first thing I got was a penile implant.

Works great! Now I can find it when I have to pee.

That’s funny

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I worked 51 years after high school. Damn that was a long time. I’m glad some of you were able to retire early!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
11 more weeks for me!

Good for you!

You gonna make fancy holsters full time?

I don't know how I managed a full time job along with all the chit I'm doing now......
I'm going to make fancy holsters on rainy days and do carpentry work on nice days. Or hunt. Or fish. 😊

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Enjoy!

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Enjoy!

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Congratulations ! Seven years retired, and busy as a duck chasing a June bug! One piece of advice I will give! Stay physically fit, walk, run, bike or swim. Anything to keep you active.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Got it Steve, that's the right way to go...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Entering my 9th year of retirement, it's the best job I ever had. The advice regarding physical fitness is spot on, I walk a mile every day and am in the gym M-W-F. I have better muscle tone than I've had in years, BP and blood sugar are fine. Just had my eye doctor appointment this morning and my distance vision is 20/20, been wearing the same glasses for 8 yrs. now. My vision has been stable for more than 5 yrs, the doctor was well pleased.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Originally Posted by smarquez
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Congrats, but why are you waiting that long? Once you decide to go, go. 2 weeks notice hit the road no money in letting them fug with you any longer than that....mb

Why the 2 week notice? It's not like he might need to go back to work there.

Well smarquez I'm honest enough to say I don't know how it works where your at. I worked for the state of South Dakota and if you don't give them 2 weeks notice the BOP will drag their feet and make sure you get screwed out of your first retirement check even though the SDRS is a separate entity. I have friends who know make sure I knew that..mb

Los Angeles Co. so a .gov job too. I applied to the retirement board, gave them the last day I intended to work. They do the arrangements with payroll etc. I shared with people around me, union, a few other professional associations. 30 days in advance sets it up so there is no break in pay periods between your final pay check and first pension check.
I actually took a call from a guy one time.
"Hi Cap, I'm retiring".
Me: "Cool Hubert, when is your last day"?
Hubert: "Tomorrow".
Me" "Wow, good for you".
He was down at the retirement board, they showed him the numbers if he retired today, 6 months, 1 year. He did well with savings, def comp etc. so he pulled then plug right then. He wasn't going to be hurt by a 1 month delay of his pension check. It's not unusual but not real common. Nobody took offense.

3482 days for me aside from a short stint at Bass Pro for a get out of the house job. I don't know what the hell I was thinking.

Last edited by smarquez; 08/12/22.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Retirement? Best job I've ever had! Love it, never bored.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by Valsdad
That part about leaving your hunting grounds kinda sucks. Renegade and slummy tell us there's hunting in TN at least.

Are you going to try to sell you business? Just shut it down? Seems if it's been paying your family's bills for a couple of generations, there might be a person that would like something like that?

It's down to pretty much just famdamily working it other than a couple of delivery persons and one other long term employee.
Oldest brother works 3 days a week for something to do[sold his insurance agency 5 years ago].

Most likely close as there really isn't much of a market anyhow, leaves me with a 7000 sq ft building sitting 4 blocks from a 10K student college to dispose of and add to retirement savings.

Will most likely contact a realtor friend tomorrow when we get to Tenn about the lot I mentioned.

I do have a friend near Slum/Ren with a hunt camp that has offered to let me come hunt some.

I have this funny feeling you'll do OK wherever you end up.

Best wishes.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Congrats on your retirement, Steve.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Steve Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

Thanks.

Haven't 'not worked' since I was in High School. Only took one week of unemployment during all those years and that was just a company shutdown. Hell, had non-family paying jobs since picking strawberries at nine years old.

Trying to get my head wrapped around actually pulling the trigger.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steve
Originally Posted by deflave

Thanks.

Haven't 'not worked' since I was in High School. Only took one week of unemployment during all those years and that was just a company shutdown. Hell, had non-family paying jobs since picking strawberries at nine years old.

Trying to get my head wrapped around actually pulling the trigger.

You earned it Steve.You will enjoy your life of retirement,I know I have.It's time to close the old book of your life and start another book of Steve's life.I worked a job I loved for 32.5yrs.When I retired six years ago I never looked back.Now I feel like I never worked at that job for 32.5yrs of the best years of my life.I live for today and tomorrow,not yesterday.Enjoy!!!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
20 days left for me. Can’t wait for it to get here!!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
You will enjoy it, never go back to see how things are running or to see old friends. See them other places than work.
Leave all work matters at work when you leave, bring nothing with you, they say "we'll miss you" it's BS, maybe they'll miss you for about a day, then you become stranger and all the good things you did for the company, will be changed by your replacement.
I've been retired now for 21 years, I enjoyed my job that I had for 31 years, but honestly would not go back for a million dollar salary.
Retirement has been heaven, good wife, no payments, more $$ than needed and still in good health, can't ask for much more.
Someone described every day of retirement as being like " A teenager on a Saturday with $20 in his pocket"
Being a child of the sixties, I know exactly what that means.

"The older I get, the better I was"
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
GFY, Steve.

The good fy, not the go fy.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
One year into my retirement at 59… After leaving the debacle in Afghanistan back August 2021, I’ve never thought for one minute I would be so busy…. Wifey and I are looking at a Cabin in Northern NM in the Carson NF for a 50/50 property… Having the best time in my life…. Make it worth it, you only live once.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,782 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,877
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.