Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
VernAK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Grouse numbers are not just down but severely down. A dog club recently helped F&G do a brood count. With several high-test dogs hunting prime areas, NO grouse were found.

Some of the ag parcels have grown up to the point they would need to be cleared again. Some of the CRP ground was converted to pasture but now some is going back into CRP.....it's a mix.

The spring was late and wet so nesting success was poor also.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I get roughly a third to half my shotgunned spruce grouse on the wing and rest on the ground or in a tree if I see them land. I am unafraid to sluice them if that is the opportunity I have.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
T, I have heard the spruce grouse were not the best table fare. True? How about hares, are they not just snowshoe rabbits. Pretty strong from what I have heard. But I have not eaten either.

Molon Labe
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by VernAK
Grouse numbers are not just down but severely down. A dog club recently helped F&G do a brood count. With several high-test dogs hunting prime areas, NO grouse were found.

Some of the ag parcels have grown up to the point they would need to be cleared again. Some of the CRP ground was converted to pasture but now some is going back into CRP.....it's a mix.

The spring was late and wet so nesting success was poor also.

How many clutches does a grouse hen typically have per year....???

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
VernAK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Most often only one...I think.

Maybe if they lose a brood early they may try to nest again.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
T, I have heard the spruce grouse were not the best table fare. True? How about hares, are they not just snowshoe rabbits. Pretty strong from what I have heard. But I have not eaten either.

Spruce grouse are dark meated and not the best eating but they’re not sage grouse level dark either.

There are 2 types of hares up here: snowshoes and Alaskan hares. The snowshoe hares are mild tasting. Nothing special and taste just like the snowshoe hares I have eaten from the lower 48. I have not tried the Alaskan hare nor have I heard from anyone whom has.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

I don't know, but I have encounters with hens with a dozen tiny chicks from mid-May through early August.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Accurate.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Thanks T!!!

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Of course that requires a couple of live grouse to start with...I've not seen a single one in Talkeetna all summer long. And one fox where normally they hang all over town...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

VernAK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495

Of course that requires a couple of live grouse to start with...I've not seen a single one in Talkeetna all summer long. And one fox where normally they hang all over town...

Exactly! With grouse numbers this low and another winter to face before mating, I sure don't see a rapid improvement. I'm sure you've received similar information from Delta.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Several years ago hunting a favorite area for grouse I encountered a fellow hunting the same area. In his broken Hmong English he asked if we’d seen any “ptarmigan”, and showed us his take in the back of his truck. He had nine ruffed grouse from an area where the limit was two. I pointed out they were ruffed grouse and the limit was two. He became argumentative insisting they were ptarmigan.

I declined to argue the point any further and made a not of his plate number and vehicle description. I called fish and game and was met with a ho hum response so I doubt anything was done about it. Another hunter whom I was acquainted with and lived in that area said he saw the same guy out there frequently.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Exactly! With grouse numbers this low and another winter to face before mating, I sure don't see a rapid improvement. I'm sure you've received similar information from Delta.
Was there a while back to pickup from Cody plus my normal spring. Saw nothing either time. Reports weekly from there report about the same. Everything took a huge hit. How could it not. Just nature. Be nice to just lay off the game a few years to let it bounce.

Glad to hear the cranes are around. They are on my bucket list eventually. Eventually I'll be in Delta at the house at the right time to hunt them I hope.

Maybe I'll see ya in October when I'm back around a bit.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am seeing roughly as many critters as I have the last few years and probably more ptarmigan. I jumped several clutches of young birds while sheep hunting yesterday. Whitetailed up higher and Willow a bit lower in the alders.

They all looked healthy enough to me. I haven’t spent anytime looking for ruffed or sharptail though the spruce hatch around Fairbanks looks ‘normal’ to me. Same with Sheep in the Alaska range.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Coming off 12-mile Summit on the Steese from our 4 day 40-mile caribou hunt (no caribou seen!), I saw a melanistic ptarmigan. Jet black. Way cool- not something I've ever seen before. It better change color before the snow comes!

Slowing to get a pic, the bird hustled back into the brush, so no pic. Am assuming it was a ptarmigan as we were well above timberline, with only road-side brush, so almost certainly not a spruce grouse.

No, it was not a raven! smile

We got back to Sterling at midnight last night. Slight change (hijack? ) of topic.

From what we saw (or didn't!), talked to others, including troopers, gun shots heard, I'd be surprised if the Steese accounted for more than 30 or so caribou those first 4 days.

I think F&G played the public on their 40-mile hotline. I'll do a separate thread.

Last edited by las; 08/15/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

VernAK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Although I don't and won't hunt the Steese, I checked the hotline daily and the report seemed valid at all times and coincided with pilot reports and tracking collars.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I am seeing roughly as many critters as I have the last few years and probably more ptarmigan. I jumped several clutches of young birds while sheep hunting yesterday. Whitetail up higher and Willow a bit lower in the alders.

They all looked healthy enough to me. I haven’t spent anytime looking for ruffed or sharptail though the spruce hatch around Fairbanks looks ‘normal’ to me. Same with Sheep in the Alaska range.
There is almost always an area thats going to be normal so to speak. Around Delta so far its far from normal.

Any place that warmed and got layers of ice built up is death IMHO. You can't get to food. You can get iced in from above in a den, like a fox, and not be able to dig up or down or out basically. Did I mention the food issue?

I"m certainly super glad things appear normal around Fairbanks. As bad as the fishing is in Talkeetna this year some place has to have a positive spin.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Blueberry,s are ripe took a break from trout fishing 1/2 hr pick 5 ft from shore! No grouse were seen but wasn't looking hard enough!
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by kk alaska; 08/14/22.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am seeing roughly as many critters as I have the last few years and probably more ptarmigan. I jumped several clutches of young birds while sheep hunting yesterday. Whitetail up higher and Willow a bit lower in the alders.

There is almost always an area thats going to be normal so to speak. Around Delta so far its far from normal.

Any place that warmed and got layers of ice built up is death IMHO. You can't get to food. You can get iced in from above in a den, like a fox, and not be able to dig up or down or out basically. Did I mention the food issue?

I"m certainly super glad things appear normal around Fairbanks. As bad as the fishing is in Talkeetna this year some place has to have a positive spin.

True, but the freezing rain around Christmas and a couple other times this winter that everyone is talking about happened around Fairbanks too, as well as elsewhere. I was after sheep not terribly far from Delta (for AK standards) and the ptarmigan numbers looked good to me. I didn't see any spruce there but also wasn't in the timber where they're generally found.

There were lots of surveys for sharptail and ruffed grouse this spring/summer near Delta and they all reported little to no birds. I am not doubting those survey results but am thinking that maybe the birds were just late to do their thing this year, so maybe the surveys just `missed` them, or those two species for whatever reason are more sensitive to the specific conditions we had? I dunno....

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

True, but the freezing rain around Christmas and a couple other times this winter that everyone is talking about happened around Fairbanks too, as well as elsewhere. I was after sheep not terribly far from Delta (for AK standards) and the ptarmigan numbers looked good to me. I didn't see any spruce there but also wasn't in the timber where they're generally found.

There were lots of surveys for sharptail and ruffed grouse this spring/summer near Delta and they all reported little to no birds. I am not doubting those survey results but am thinking that maybe the birds were just late to do their thing this year, so maybe the surveys just `missed` them, or those two species for whatever reason are more sensitive to the specific conditions we had? I dunno....
Talk almost daily to our friend in Delta. Retired. Gets out a few times a week into the woods on the wheeler. 30 plus mile loops. Reports a severe hit on wildlife period. I'm like you, dunno. But I don't doubt what he doesn't see.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

223 members (2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 35 invisible), 2,219 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,715
Posts18,457,081
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.