Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I don't see anything whitetail in this head. I'd like to see the rump and tail.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I don't see anything whitetail in this head. I'd like to see the rump and tail.

Other than the antlers, it looks like a typical whitetail head to me.
White circles around the eyes. White at the muzzle. No MD ears. Not a MD head, but the antlers branched as they are, and brow tines say MD.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
rockinbbar;
Good afternoon to you my cyber friend, I trust the Friday was a good end of the week for you.

While I know that folks like JGRaider has put up photos of Texas mulies, they've had such lovely wide antlers that I wasn't able to wrap my head around how wide the ears were.

That's the rationale behind my putting up the photo of the Okanagan mulie with the 26" ear spread and comparing it to GW's Texas buck. I'd personally have guessed that Texas mulies "should" have ears at least as big as ours - again because of the heat - but I'm not really seeing that in the photo of GW's mystery buck.

We're headed up shortly to see what we can see for California Bighorn rams as a good buddy was drawn for one of two almost unobtanium ram tags for the mountain behind our house. Season starts Sept 01st so he's hoping we can see some rams tonight and so am I of course.

All the best to you all this weekend.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shoot it and eat it, then get back to us. You'll know then.

LOL
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Just looks like a summer phase muley to me.

Kent

IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I have hunted Mulies my whole life. But had never seen a Whitetail outside the pages of Field and Stream. I knew they ranged into some of our "play" areas, but had not happened upon them.

Then a few years ago we were camping near Deadwood Res, when a doe ran from the waters edge and down the road in front of the truck.

I told the kids to check out the Whitetail with its flag waving over its butt. Then it started stotting just like any mule deer I ever saw.

I assume it was a hybrid.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It occurs occasionally when Whitetail bucks breed Mule Deer does. They Whitetail bucks are more aggressive during the rut, and will run off Mulie bucks.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think this whitetail had mule deer characteristics

Attached Images

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

I should have kept the tail off this deer. It was black tipped but wide like a whitetail and not a rope like the typical mule deer tail.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BC30cal
rockinbbar;
Good afternoon to you my cyber friend, I trust the Friday was a good end of the week for you.

While I know that folks like JGRaider has put up photos of Texas mulies, they've had such lovely wide antlers that I wasn't able to wrap my head around how wide the ears were.

That's the rationale behind my putting up the photo of the Okanagan mulie with the 26" ear spread and comparing it to GW's Texas buck. I'd personally have guessed that Texas mulies "should" have ears at least as big as ours - again because of the heat - but I'm not really seeing that in the photo of GW's mystery buck.

We're headed up shortly to see what we can see for California Bighorn rams as a good buddy was drawn for one of two almost unobtanium ram tags for the mountain behind our house. Season starts Sept 01st so he's hoping we can see some rams tonight and so am I of course.

Dwayne

Hello Dwayne, I loved the pic of you measuring the ear width of that muley buck. I think I've killed almost 50 muleys from here in W TX, Trans Pecos, TX Panhandle, and E NM. Biggest bodied bucks are here in West TX in the sandhills regions, and a big mature buck here will be right at 25". There are virtually no whitetails here except for the rare straggler. Hope that helps some.

I've hunted lots of areas in Texas where whitetails and mule deer coexist though. I'm told by biologists that the only way to know is like Mac said.....tissue samples, hair samples, etc. Another thing to look at is the size of the tarsal glands supposedly, but I don't know squat about that. I've seen a few that looked odd to me but can't personally say I've ever handled a dead one. I do know that antler configuration is a poor indicator generally. This is a buck we found dead in a plum thicket several years ago that was 100% verified as a 194" whitetail. In looking at only his antler cofig one would swear this was a big old muley buck.....

Last edited by JGRaider; 08/12/22.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Minute,

If I'd seen those any where near the Cascades, I'd have called them Benchlegs. Interesting.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’ve never seen any crossbreeds in Tenn

But I could use this thread to post 1000% pure whitetail buck pics just be ungermane to the topic. Like some old fart that’s only killed one deer in their whole life. lol

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm thinking some White Tail doe got a look at those big muley horns on some buck and got all warm for some strange.

Last edited by reivertom; 08/12/22.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Those whitetail whores always pretend to play hard to get.

Run 400 mph for 3 days

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
rockinbbar;

Dwayne

Hello Dwayne, I loved the pic of you measuring the ear width of that muley buck. I think I've killed almost 50 muleys from here in W TX, Trans Pecos, TX Panhandle, and E NM. Biggest bodied bucks are here in West TX in the sandhills regions, and a big mature buck here will be right at 25". There are virtually no whitetails here except for the rare straggler. Hope that helps some.

I've hunted lots of areas in Texas where whitetails and mule deer coexist though. I'm told by biologists that the only way to know is like Mac said.....tissue samples, hair samples, etc. Another thing to look at is the size of the tarsal glands supposedly, but I don't know squat about that. I've seen a few that looked odd to me but can't personally say I've ever handled a dead one. I do know that antler configuration is a poor indicator generally. This is a buck we found dead in a plum thicket several years ago that was 100% verified as a 194" whitetail. In looking at only his antler cofig one would swear this was a big old muley buck.....

That looks 100% like a whitetail rack to me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JGRaider
rockinbbar;

Dwayne

Wow !!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Up here on southern Vancouver Island we have a mix of Black tail and Fallow deer, the Fallow deer were brought in over a hundred years ago on to a small private island 6 to 800 yards off our southeaster coast. over time the fallow deer swam across the channel and interbread with our Black tail.
We end up with color variations and antler anomilies, fallow deer have a narrow palm type antler

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Originally Posted by baldhunter
Yes they can cross,but it doesn't happen too often.In the western part of South Texas it's really desert type country.The whitetail deer are among the largest of the state.There are no mule deer in that area.The farther north and west of the South Texas brush country,you start getting into a mix of whitetail and mule deer.One thing I've notice about the deer in the western part of South Texas is they carry an unusually trait.They commonly have a darker or black tipped tail like the one pictured in the article below.Maybe they have cross genetics that make them carry that trait,or maybe they are just one of the many recognized sub-species.Whatever it is,it happened many years ago and the percentage of mule deer genes would be nearly none existent.Most people will find this hard to believe,but South Texas wasn't always the vast brush country it is today.When cattle were brought in from Mexico in the 1800's they brought the brush seeds with them in their bellies.This now brush country really didn't have many deer back then because it was once a vast grassland and desert.There may have been mule deer then in the western part of South Texas and maybe they could have crossed with the few whitetail that were around.As the brush thrived and grew taller it created great habitat for whitetail,not so much for mule deer.I do know the last known pronghorn antelope was killed on the King Ranch in the late 1950's or very early 1960's.It was the last one,so no chance to reproduce,so it was killed.Just shows how habitats can change over the years.

https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/...-unique-tail-of-whitetails-and-mule-deer

Here is a picture of a buck's tail from far west South Texas near Eagle Pass.Notice the black tipped tail
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Dang that's a lot of antler for an 80 pound deer.
Last Buck my father killed here in STX field dressed at 210 lb

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
rockinbbar;

Dwayne

Dwayne,

Yessir! You ought to see the jackrabbits ears out in west Texas! laugh

Good luck to you and your buddy on your ram venture!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
736 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 84 invisible), 2,736 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,700
Posts18,399,968
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.