Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Boogan1
I think Ranger was talking about his experience with a black powder re-enactor/rendezvous group. Cowboy action people are some of the nicest I have ever met.

Yes
As far as I'm aware, CAS groups don't call
their gatherings "rendezvous "

At the first of the post, I laid out the positive
CAS experience I've had, and I try to always
point out what fickle vain richards the buckskin
people I tried to be a part of were.
At least the CAS and War between the States
people don't switch personas every trip trying
to outdo each other , and they try to ingratiate newcomers
and potential new members

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by one horn
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Maybe the rules have been changed but it was what it was back then. At out club, to shoot,you had to be a member of SASS. Maybe your club doesn't enforce SASS rules. I am not looking for no damn excuse. Especially from rule makers that walk around in chaps and spurs at a gun range and wouldn't know which end of a rope to throw. . This was started as a competition where a fellow could outfit his kids and such and rapidly became something that was less than affordable for a family.

Originally Posted by one horn
By the way there is no “period clothing rule” other than no ball caps, tennis shoe, tee shirts, etc. it is cowboy action shooting after all.

Maybe your club does not know about or doesn't enforce SASS rules. Mine did. You might want to read below before posting as you did

https://www.sassnet.com/Downloads/RO/SASSHandbook-16-2010.pdf

Here are the clothing rules for SASS.

SINGLE ACTION SHOOTING SOCIETY
Shooters Handbook
~3~
Copyright © Single Action Shooting Society, Inc 2010
Sixteenth Edition
CLOTHING AND ACCOUTERMENTS
Cowboy Action Shooting™ is a combination of historical reenactment and Saturday
morning at the matinee. Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but
all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-western movie, or Western television
series.

SASS puts a great deal of emphasis on costuming because it adds so much to the
uniqueness of our game and helps create a festive, informal atmosphere that supports the
friendly, fraternal feeling we encourage in our competitors.
All shooters must be in costume, and we encourage invited guests and family also to be
costumed. Shooters must remain in costume at all match events: dinners, award ceremonies,
dances, etcetera.
ALL clothing and equipment MUST be worn appropriately, how it was intended and how
it would have been worn in the OLD WEST or as seen on B-Western movies and televis

Jeans, a button up shirt, and leather boots are a SASS legal costume. Most folks wear a cowboy hat as well.
That seems more than reasonable.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
It sounds like SASS is alive and well in certain parts of the country, but not so much in others.

Last edited by Just a Hunter; 07/24/22.
z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
It sounds like SASS is alive and well in certain parts of the country, but not so much in others.

Yeah, and it changed so much from when I first got involved. Too complicated these days. When I started I was still in college. Owned a Stevens 311, a Ruger SBK, and a Marlin 94 in 44 Mag. Folks would let me borrow one of their guns if a stage needed something I didn't own. People were super helpful and generous. What a difference 35 years makes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cowboy movies and folklore were huge with boomer generation as kids. I suspect that a lot of cowboy action shooting was fueled by the boomer generation and as they get older and compete less it’s causing a decline.

Unfortunately most 30 year olds for instance if they shoot at all are going to gravitate towards different shooting disciplines such as long range precision shooting or something tactical.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Cowboy movies and folklore were huge with boomer generation as kids. I suspect that a lot of cowboy action shooting was fueled by the boomer generation and as they get older and compete less it’s causing a decline.

Unfortunately most 30 year olds for instance if they shoot at all are going to gravitate towards different shooting disciplines such as long range precision shooting or something tactical.

When I was shooting, at least 50% were families. Husband,wives in the 30-40 yr old bracket and teenagers. I'd say less than 25% were boomers

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/26/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Don't know about dying but with the current powder and primer situation I imagine it is probably a bit sick.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I went and observed the last Chorro Valley Western Regionals.

Very nice if not one of the best cowboy action ranges. Very well run event.

What I saw was a bunch of old FAT guys dressed up mainly in the same costumes trying to be serious.

I think they had fun after the shooting.

No young shooters. Very few women.

A lot of shooting events are dying, HOWEVER Tactical events are growing by leaps and bounds.

Younger folks do not relate to cowboys.

Chorro Valley Western Regionals are Aug 10-14

Last edited by Reba; 07/31/22. Reason: more info

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I guess old fat guys dying off sorta speaks for CAS dying off.

A few young ones, not a lot.

DF

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I started shootings cowboy matches in the mid 90’s. No pressure, just fun friendly competition. By the time I drifted away from it, due to kids and family obligations, the club was over run by the “gamers.” At least that’s what the regulars called them. Always trying some new thing to shave seconds off. Our club specifically did not allow holding the trigger back and thumbing the hammer. I was range officer one day, caught a guy doing just that. I called him out on it, he whined to the shoot coordinator and I was told to stand down. He was one of the gamers. The attitude of the shooters was diminished too. It wasn’t a family event, it wasn’t fun competition, it was deadly serious to the gamers. If I wanted to shoot high pressure and stress matches I’d shoot 3 gun or ipsc. The gamers all run the show at that club now, or did last I checked. None of old familiar faces were around, all the people who busted their humps and donated time and money to get it all rolling.
I guess time change, but the changes didn’t suit me.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Rawhide67
I started shootings cowboy matches in the mid 90’s. No pressure, just fun friendly competition. By the time I drifted away from it, due to kids and family obligations, the club was over run by the “gamers.” At least that’s what the regulars called them. Always trying some new thing to shave seconds off. Our club specifically did not allow holding the trigger back and thumbing the hammer. I was range officer one day, caught a guy doing just that. I called him out on it, he whined to the shoot coordinator and I was told to stand down. He was one of the gamers. The attitude of the shooters was diminished too. It wasn’t a family event, it wasn’t fun competition, it was deadly serious to the gamers. If I wanted to shoot high pressure and stress matches I’d shoot 3 gun or ipsc. The gamers all run the show at that club now, or did last I checked. None of old familiar faces were around, all the people who busted their humps and donated time and money to get it all rolling.
I guess time change, but the changes didn’t suit me.

Pretty much what happened here. The fun shooters eventually left leaving only the gamers and there was not enough of them left to setup 6 stages. So it died completely

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/13/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I won the overall at the Panhandle Cowboys in Holt, FL today with 22 shooters in attendance. Will probably have more when it starts cooling off. Alive and well in the Florida panhandle. I can shoot with 5 clubs a month within a 2 hr drive. If you let the gamers run you off you were looking for an excuse to leave anyway. Lots of ways the game can be played, "gaming" or shooting fast is just one of them. I also hear the complaints about costuming requirements. It isn't that hard or expensive. As I have said, I shoot with 5 different clubs, not a one has ever turned anyone away because of costume. They may have told some they can't wear a ball cap or to not wear tennis shoes next time but they still get to shoot. The biggest barrier to entry for new shooters is the availability of firearms, ammo and reloading supplies although all of those are out there if you are willing to do a little looking. I guess it all depends on how bad you want to shoot or if you just want to cry in your coffee.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Sounds more like one of the "gamers". If a club is following strick SASS rules those ball caps and tennis shoes would not be permitted to shoot.

I was denied shooting at one match because I had over sized grips on my Blackhawk. There was also another family, parents and two boys that were hassled so much they never came back.

I was teaching NRA certified basic pistol courses at the time and taught a lot of those new comers how to shoot. I only charged enough to pay for the ammo and supplies. The youngsters were free. I had all the shooting I wanted, but would not put up with all that BS.We typically would have 50-60 shooters each match. That dwindled to less than 20 because of it all. When the club's BOD got involved, because of all it, the gamers (the ones that were left) gather up all the props , targets,etc. and left.

Guess it depends on the people running the matches.

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/15/22.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I agree that the people running the matches can make or break a club. The ball caps would not be allowed to shoot, just take it off and leave it in the car, but the tennis shoes would be allowed once if you were new and didn't know any better. Some clubs can really be rule nazi's but if they want new shooters and to grow their membership some lenience needs to be allowed. I am an RO and was running the timer a lot yesterday. We had two brand new shooters that made several errors that would have been a stage DQ for a seasoned shooter but they didn't have a clue what they did wrong until we stopped them and corrected them. If I had stage DQ'd them for all of those infractions they probably would have left with a sour taste in their mouth and not come back. As it was they were both really excited to pursue shooting with us again when the match was over. One of the first things that really stood out to me when I started was how friendly and accomodating the people were at all the clubs I shoot with regularly. I did shoot with a club that was not that way, very stuffy and full of themselves, and I have not gone back.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SASS Rule - "all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-western movie, or Western television series."

If you really want to look authentic, just go outfit yourself like the late Tom Mix. Now that cowboy knew how to dress in style. grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't know if dying - just never seemed to catch on here. I had some interest a while back but nearest "club" is a couple hours away.

Me

Just to be sure everyone is talking about the same game. SASS and CAS are two entirely different organizations with vastly different rules and CAS does require strict compliance with their dress code. SASS not so much.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by 12gabigbore
Just to be sure everyone is talking about the same game. SASS and CAS are two entirely different organizations with vastly different rules and CAS does require strict compliance with their dress code. SASS not so much.

When I was shooting, it was SASS here and they did require compliance with dress code. You could shoot the first match, but then had to join SASS after that to continue in the club.That club also required you be a NRA member, but that has since been dropped. I have an original family life membership there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Cowboy Action is going the way of the black powder shoots."

My take was the Rendevous were killed by CAS, here anyway.

Couple of weekends ago I met my boy and his bud up at their college town, primarily to take them to a cowboy action shoot. Was shocked as there were not over twenty competitors. I'd be surprised if any were under 70. Everyone was friendly and one of the guys showed them his guns and explained the shooting to them. The boys were quite interested in it, but commented about the gaming (lever actions with special triggers to increase their speed, and they were impressively fast & accurate with the leverguns). I was surprised at the poor pistol shooting... god, they were only about seven yards from the steel, and nobody was setting the world on fire.

The last time I'd been to one of these shoots, was probably twenty years ago and there probably was close to a hundred competitors, quite an event.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Until a few months ago when I moved to Texas, I worked part-time at the Otero County shooting range in La Luz, New Mexico. We had a cowboy action shoot once a month, and there had to be a "quorum" of at least five shooters for the match to go on. Many times, there were just the bare minimum there for the match, all aging Baby Boomers like myself. And if one of the five was sick, no match. This handful of shooters constituted the distilled residue of two once very active clubs, one up in the historic resort town of Ruidoso, and one made up primarily of folks from the Alamogordo area.
Inside the clubs' locked storage compound, I would step carefully amongst all the great old steel targets, now disused and likely harboring at least one rattlesnake: Evil Roys, hearts/clubs/spades/diamonds, knockdowns for the shotgunners that could toss a clay pigeon when hit, props for the stages, etc. It was like walking in a graveyard. And this was in the very heart of the country we all think of as the real Old West. Pat Garrett once lost a three-day card game in my great-great uncle's saloon in Tularosa to Oliver Lee, the rancher he believed helped murder Col. Albert Fountain and his young son after they left La Luz to cross the White Sands to Las Cruces. Just up the road in Mescalero are the ruins of Blazer's Mill, where Dick Brewer and his group of Regulators -- including Billy the Kid -- shot it out with Buckshot Roberts in April of 1878, mortally wounding him, but not before he used a Trapdoor Springfield to shoot Brewer in the head. The two enemies are buried next to each other in the mostly forgotten Blazer's Cemetery just up the hill from the mill. I've been there and paid my respects.
Seen in this light, it makes me sadder still to think about those last five CAS stalwarts trying to keep the corpse alive, God bless them.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
676 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,907 guests, and 1,422 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,478
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.