Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by UpThePole
IF repeat IF you owned a borescope you could see it.

But really, there is no need to prove anything to you now is there ?

You wouldn't be able to prove schidt you stupid fu ck. Go troll somewhere else. Unless you can add something useful to this man's thread..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Measured New Lapua 9.3 X 62 Brass Head diameter .471 Lapua brass Resized brass head diameter with current RCBS dies .472

Fired Lapua brass to my Pacnor chambered 9.3x62 rifle head diameter .474

Measured resized RP 06 brass head diameter .467

I will continue using my RCBS dies which I prefer to non vented Redding and Lapua 9.3 X 62 brass have had no issues

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I bought my dies in 1999 and they are RCBS. I don't recall others being available then? I also bought 200 pieces of Norma brass, again, all I recall being available then in the US.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Measured New Lapua 9.3 X 62 Brass Head diameter .471 Lapua brass Resized brass head diameter with current RCBS dies .472

Fired Lapua brass to my Pacnor chambered 9.3x62 rifle head diameter .474

Measured resized RP 06 brass head diameter .467

I will continue using my RCBS dies which I prefer to non vented Redding and Lapua 9.3 X 62 brass have had no issues

I'm glad you hit on that non vented feature. One of the dumbest moves by some of the die manufactures out there. I recently bought a Horandy die set for a new cartridge I started handloading and was very surprised it didn't have a vent hole. I took it back and got my money back and bought RCBS. I tried. This hate was stemmed from using a competition die set for a 6WOA I had for a while. I'd always get tiny dimples in the shoulders of the brass when re-sizing. Totally frustrating. Garbage as far as I'm concerned.
Originally Posted by EdM
I bought my dies in 1999 and they are RCBS. I don't recall others being available then? I also bought 200 pieces of Norma brass, again, all I recall being available then in the US.

That's where I was at when I had my 9.3x62mm. A great combination. Loaded very good ammo, as I stated in my previous post. Ran blemished Noslers when they were a great deal and affordable to practice with:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That rifle would lay them right in there and thought it was a varmint rifle. 400 yard shots were cake walk with that rifle and load.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Jesus.
This took a turn, didn't it?!

As I said in my original post, I will be buying (actually have bought) 9.3 brass to load.

My only thought on the ought-six brass is that I have tons of it, I know that it's sub-optimal but doable & I don't need to reuse it. Cheap practice without getting excess wear on the real stuff.

Speaking of the couple of thou difference in rim diameter; I've been shooting 6.5x55 in a couple of converted '06s for years with zero problems. Same difference in rim diameter.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Robtattoo
Jesus.

As I said in my original post, I will be buying (actually have bought) 9.3 brass to load.

My only thought on the ought-six brass is that I have tons of it, I know that it's sub-optimal but doable & I don't need to reuse it. Cheap practice without getting excess wear on the real stuff.

Speaking of the couple of thou difference in rim diameter; I've been shooting 6.5x55 in a couple of converted '06s for years with zero problems. Same difference in rim diameter.

Hang on...I have some more random stuff to add.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by TX35W
Originally Posted by Robtattoo
Jesus.

Hang on...I have some more random stuff to add.

Hahaha!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well I don't think the rim diameter is the issue. the head diameter is in my mind. Going to the extra work to fireform 06 brass that has .005 to .006" less head diameter than spec. to use 1 time seems dumb to me. Build or buy a 35 Whelen or 338-06 would be a better use of the extra brass. I have had split necks with Privi and S B once fired brass, nothing wrong with my cz-550 either. But those 2 brands aren't the same quality as lapua,nosler,or Norma as a fact. You went to no small expense to aquire a 9.3 and supplies why you being a cheap Charlie now.?..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
If you have split necks after once firing of PPU brass, there is something wrong with your rifle, dies, or your loading procedures!

Hip

Last edited by Hipshoot; 08/12/22.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
When I had a 1903 Springfield rebored to 9.3x62 by JES, I grabbed a new Hornady New Dimension FL sizing die off eBay for $15 while I was searching for a full set. It has turned out to be one of the most precise and accurate dies I ever owned. I very carefully measure the effects of all my sizing dies on my brass, testing for runout. These are near perfect. The next one off the line might not have been, who knows.

That said,
The shoulder being further forward on the 9.3 than the '06 is a big deal. You can't just neck it up.
Rex

IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
You have to neck it up further/larger and then neck it down again forming a false shoulder to prevent headspace problems.

I neck it up with a .375 expander button----works well!

Hip

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hipshoot
You have to neck it up further/larger and then neck it down again forming a false shoulder to prevent headspace problems.

I neck it up with a .375 expander button----works well!

Hip

Or fireform with Privi 285 gr round nose seated against the lands

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I like my RCBS dies and Laupa 9.3 X 62 brass don't want any case head seperations with 06 undersized brass!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by irfubar
Or fireform with Privi 285 gr round nose seated against the lands

I would have expected the long, tapered throats on the standard 9.3x62 chamber to preclude that. Especially with the Privi 285 being such a short bullet.
Have you (or anyone else) successfully fireformed 30-06 to 9.3x62 by jamming the lands?

Thanks,
Rex

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
When I built my 9.3 I was experiencing misfires.

Contacted RCBS about the problem and, long story short, they admitted their dies for that chambering could be problematic.

Went to Redding and all issues went away. This was with necked up brass as well as factory 9.3.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have done it this way. The throat on my 9.3 allows for a 3.200 oal. with the 286 Privi, so no long taper on mine and even with a long taper the round nose would contact the rifling.
The Privi 286 is not a short bullet

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TRexF16
When I had a 1903 Springfield rebored to 9.3x62 by JES, I grabbed a new Hornady New Dimension FL sizing die off eBay for $15 while I was searching for a full set. It has turned out to be one of the most precise and accurate dies I ever owned. I very carefully measure the effects of all my sizing dies on my brass, testing for runout. These are near perfect. The next one off the line might not have been, who knows.

That said,
The shoulder being further forward on the 9.3 than the '06 is a big deal. You can't just neck it up.
Rex

Here is a 286 Privi seated to touch the lands. As you can see it has plenty of room to seat further out.
Next to the Privi is a 286 Partition, it could also be used for fire forming, kinda wasteful though...
As for the 30- 06 brass base being smaller, it's a one time deal, your 9.3 die will not size it back down, leading to repeated stress.
This pic should remove any doubt as to whether I am making things up

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
There are Redding dies and then the rest.

"A man has come to terms with life when he is willing to plant trees under whose shade he will never sit."
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I used the Cream of Wheat "CoW" to make my 9.3x62 cases from WW 30-06 brass.
I annealed the neck area after forming and they have worked well in my rifle with hunting loads.
The head area looked normal in my rifle and I have no concerns about using formed brass.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by TRexF16

That said,
Rex

Here is a 286 Privi seated to touch the lands. As you can see it has plenty of room to seat further out.
Next to the Privi is a 286 Partition, it could also be used for fire forming, kinda wasteful though...
As for the 30- 06 brass base being smaller, it's a one time deal, your 9.3 die will not size it back down, leading to repeated stress.
This pic should remove any doubt as to whether I am making things up

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Thanks for the follow up and I was of course NEVER implying you were making things up. But I will say you have a most unusual chamber. It's great that you can jam the lands and thus effectively fireform necked-up 30-06 in one step.
But the OAL where the 286 Privi touches the lands in mine is 3.53". For the 286 Partition it's 3.59". This is a JES re-bore with what I understand to be a pretty standard 9.3x62 chamber. The OP wrote he was having a 30-06 "hollowed out" to 9.3x62, which implied to me a rebore, and I would expect it to be JES's. If this is the case I don't expect him to have the advantage of such an unusually short throat, thus my comment:
"I would have expected the long, tapered throats on the standard 9.3x62 chamber to preclude that. Especially with the Privi 285 being such a short bullet.
Have you (or anyone else) successfully fireformed 30-06 to 9.3x62 by jamming the lands?"

Thanks for answering back and confirming that indeed you have.
Interested in what the other 9.3x62 owner's throats allow. Are there any more as short as ibfubar's?
Sir, what brand is your rifle, and is it a factory or custom barrel?
Thanks,
Rex

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 163bc, 204guy, 71 invisible), 2,526 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,541
Posts18,453,118
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.