Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Muffin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
...that was raised here long ago.....

Emergency Evac with an electric vehicle.....

“What’s your vehicle evacuation plan at that point?”

State Sen. Jeff Brandes (R-Fla.), one of the panelists for “The Promise and Challenges of Electric Vehicles” at NCSL, acknowledged the problem and said Florida was examining the issue. It did not yet have a solution.

State Sen. Faith Winter (D-Colo.) said a “really creative company” in Colorado was examining the feasibility of putting chargers in crates and deploying them “like we deploy water, like we deploy firefighters.” Winter said Colorado is aware of this issue and is looking for a solution.

Alex Schroeder, interim executive lead for the Joint Office of Energy and Transportation, didn’t attempt to answer the question.

I do not have much Faith in Faith......

Last edited by Muffin; 08/11/22.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So the dumb piss ants that didn't plan ahead will die.........Where's the problem?

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 12344mag
So the dumb piss ants that didn't plan ahead will die.........Where's the problem?

How deplorable!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The Article
If the majority of the evacuating vehicles were EVs, Florida would face a serious challenge in power supply

That is well disconnected from reality.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Solved,

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

No problem. Just Darwin weeding out the incompetent and those that do not think that it "will never happen to me."
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
PJ is spot on.

NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 700LH
Solved,

During emergence evacuations such as the commonly repeated hurricane evacuations here along Florida's gulf coast chances of finding a gas station with fuel are very slim.

So your screwed no matter what you might be driving or trying to charge with a generator.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Reading this thread made me wonder if someday FEMA will have big diesel generators on trailers or trucks that could be parked in places like rest areas along major travel corridors in case of a major evacuation order. They could run multiple chargers all at once so at least the electric vehicles may be more useful than a gas vehicle with no gas in a situation like that.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
They clog up the evacuation routes so those who did plan ahead still can’t leave.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Reading this thread made me wonder if someday FEMA will have big diesel generators on trailers or trucks that could be parked in places like rest areas along major travel corridors in case of a major evacuation order. They could run multiple chargers all at once so at least the electric vehicles may be more useful than a gas vehicle with no gas in a situation like that.

Exactly, or big azzed storage batteries like Musk has been building.

Been through a lot of hurricane evacuations where you could go from South Florida to Georgia before you found a fuel station with gas.

Everybody starts hoarding a couple days prior to them even knowing where a storm might hit.

In all honesty finding a electric outlet could be easier than finding gas.
Interstate charging systems would be swamped but they're not your only option.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by JeffA
During emergence evacuations such as the commonly repeated hurricane evacuations here along Florida's gulf coast chances of finding a gas station with fuel are very slim.

So your screwed no matter what you might be driving or trying to charge with a generator.

Good look siphoning the extra electricity out of your other vehicles and putting it in cans in the trunk.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Solved,

Where is the green????????????
Nothing about an electric car or truck is green!

Last edited by mtnsnake; 08/12/22.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I question the portable generator. Just had a new lithium 12V battery fail in our travel trailer and had some conversations with the seller. During my trials and tribulations, we hooked up our 12-volt charging system (Honda 3000 watt) directly to the battery and were getting a reading of 19V at the poles. Seller said the battery's safety system would not accept charges below or above a certain threshold and at 19 volts nothing would make it into the cells. What does it take currant wise to hop up a Tesla?

Also, where do all of those electrons come from?

Edit: Just looked it up. 60 amp circuit. Code says new builds in Oregon have to be thusly wired even though the owner does or will not have an EV.

Still don't know on the electrons.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/12/22.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by 22250rem

Exactly, or big azzed storage batteries like Musk has been building.

Been through a lot of hurricane evacuations where you could go from South Florida to Georgia before you found a fuel station with gas.

Everybody starts hoarding a couple days prior to them even knowing where a storm might hit.

In all honesty finding a electric outlet could be easier than finding gas.
Interstate charging systems would be swamped but they're not your only option.

The thing to remember is that EV’s as a rule charge at home, so they are pretty much already always “full”. No need to “top off” before evacuation.

Of course, range is an issue if you have to evacuate from south Florida to Georgia, but running fro Houston to San Antonio or DFW would not be an issue.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Don’t rely on an EV if you live in a hurricane zone

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
M
Muffin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by navlav8r

THIS^^^^^^

I don't think Home Depot sells 'Electron Storage containers' for my EV.........................yet!

But I have them for my gas guzzler......

Top off before the storm, have another 'tankfull' standing by in jerry cans............... take them with you if you need.....

Can't do that with an EV....

If the power grid is down, one generac and the gas station is back in business........ if the power grid is down you and your EV are phouced....

After Hurricane Andrew my power was out for three WEEKS...........................

It 'may' come, but we are not yet ready for widespread EVs...............

Or maybe THIS.............

Drive forever, never stop, full-time recharge....

https://alcse.org/the-american-wind-powered-car/

Last edited by Muffin; 08/13/22.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Muffin
Originally Posted by navlav8r

THIS^^^^^^

I don't think Home Depot sells 'Electron Storage containers' for my EV.........................yet!

Home Depot has them but Harbor Frieght has a better idea

[Linked Image from harborfreight.com]

But I have them for my gas guzzler......

Top off before the storm, have another 'tankfull' standing by in jerry cans............... take them with you if you need.....

Can't do that with an EV....

So it's YOU that drains the fuel stations prior to the storms preventing others from being able to find gas!

[Linked Image from boredpanda.com]

If the power grid is down, one generac and the gas station is back in business........ if the power grid is down you and your EV are phouced....

After Hurricane Andrew my power was out for three WEEKS..........................

Might I introduce You To The 'Full Home Propane Generator So You Might Never Be In That Situation Again

[Linked Image from electricgeneratorsdirect.com]

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gregintenn
They clog up the evacuation routes so those who did plan ahead still can’t leave.
Many of those evac routes are useless anyway. My sister lives near Tacoma, WA. They have posted evac routes in case Mt Rainier ever blows. On a normal day, the rush hour traffic has all of those routes at a standstill. In an emergency, nobody's going anywhere.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Solved,

Where is the green????????????
Nothing about an electric car or truck is green!

Yesterday our Fate was Sealed ..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
203 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 29 invisible), 2,070 guests, and 968 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.