Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 458Win
What many readers don't consider is that writers, and Editors! whether it's Road & Track, Vogue or Gun & Ammo, are basically producing inexpensive advertising for the industry they are working in.
The best and most popular ones fully understand this and tread a sometimes very fine line between truth, facts and hype.
The rest simply tire of all the prevarication and arguing with editors and either quit or get fired.

Sometimes as a reader, I pay more attention to what's NOT mentioned in the article rather than what is. Writers walking that line of doing a piece but not being unbridled cheerleaders will simply not mention things that might be of issue.

No mention of how it feeds? Likely a bit rough.

No mention of weight - probably a touch porky etc.

Things like that.

Me

BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My pet hate is when they fail to mention in a gun review what parts are plastic.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Two things I took from Finn's .308 article. One was from his comment on the 165 gr. Speer Grand slam ammo. I really like that stuff and wish like hell Speer hadn't dropped it. It was the only factory ammo that ever shot worth a damn in my Ruger M77 RSI.

The other was he liked the150 gr. bullet for the most part in the .308 where I preferred a 165 gr. bullet. In fact my pet load for the .308 is the 165 gr. Speer Hot Core which runs at 2550 FPS from the 18.5" Barrel and 2610 FPS from the 22" barrel of my Winchester M70. That load at 2550 FPS has put quite a few deer into my freezer.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Probably the best approach to all this is for the gun writer to have a solid day job that allows them to write on the side about the topics they care about.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Firing Finn, it says a lot about the NRA. Finn was one of the best…

But I’ve bitched about the articles in the American Rifleman before. No better example of articles praising everything no matter how crappy a device to keep the manufacturers happy.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Brad, thank for scanning that article. I've got it saved now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Writers work at the pleasure of the Editor
The Editor at the pleasure of the owner
And the owner dances to the tune of the advertisers

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I love how not a [bleep] thread can be posted without dumbfucks coming to hate on Creedmoor rounds.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What many readers don't consider is that writers, and Editors! whether it's Road & Track, Vogue or Gun & Ammo, are basically producing inexpensive advertising for the industry they are working in.
The best and most popular ones fully understand this and tread a sometimes very fine line between truth, facts and hype.
The rest simply tire of all the prevarication and arguing with editors and either quit or get fired.

It is interesting to watch some writers duck and feint comments about cartridges. He didn't want to offend and gave hope to .270 Win users when he wrote in American Rifleman, December 1986. "...the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, 30 and 7mm (the.270 Win, is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007 undersize").

1990, Hunting Rifles and Cartridges - The 270 Winchester. "Actually, the .270 is so close to being a 7mm that its .277" diameter bullets will not drop through the bore of some 7mm's". Later he says: "It is almost as good as O'Connor said it was, but I still have no need for one."

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by tylerw02
I love how not a [bleep] thread can be posted without dumbfucks coming to hate on Creedmoor rounds.

CDS and CBHS are real.

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I remember reading many articles from Finn as teen, especially the history of elephant hunting. He became a fan of the scout rifle concept later in life. He always appeared honest and straight forward in his writing. I still miss him

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roundoak
Later he says: "It is almost as good as O'Connor said it was, but I still have no need for one."

laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
7mm = 0.275591” sorry Finn

I couldn’t understand the need for the 270. I had the 280, and the 30-06, I shared Finn’s feelings regarding the 270. JOC’s writings were great for some people, but I didn’t care for them - maybe I should re-read one of his articles, IDK. Maybe because I thought Elmer Keith was more knowledgable.
The .284 caliber had many more choices on bullets for one thing. It is still my favorite (along with the .308 cartridges.)
There was a time when premium bullets were uncommon - especially for people didn’t have a lot of money.
Cast bullets were much more common for some. Going to a smaller caliber just didn’t add up for some for shooting deer or other such game. I had cast bullets for every caliber I owned down to 224 caliber. But I never shot at game with a cast bullet less than .308 (maybe .284???)
Now I play with many cartridges and I like the 270, it’s almost as good as the 280. 😬

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
"... but I still have no need for one."

Has been my experience for the past 65 years!

Finn was one of the best!

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
Finn's last article, published at his death:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I'm a big fan of Finn's writing and remember that article and one about the 7x57 well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Agaard elevated the 7mm-08 to the equal of the 7x57mm.

HUNTING RIFLES & CARTRIDGES, 1990. "The more I use the 7mm-08, the better I like it. It is an altogether superb little cartridge, a modern version of the 7x57mm that will do everything the renowned old Mauser round ever did - which makes it an ideal choice for a good 90% of all big game hunting."

When I first read that, I immediately thought about elephants and wondered if anyone ever shot one with a 7mm-08. smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When I first read that, I immediately thought about elephants and wondered if anyone ever shot one with a 7mm-08. smile

Who knows? Certainly with the 7x57. But the sad truth is the vast majority of elephants taken by a single cartridge have been laid low with the 308...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Who knows? Certainly with the 7x57. But the sad truth is the vast majority of elephants taken by a single cartridge have been laid low with the 308...

WDM Bell even wrote that if the 308 had been available at the time it would have likely been his choice.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

WDM Bell even wrote that if the 308 had been available at the time it would have likely been his choice.
Would you happen to know what WDM Bell's reasons were for saying he would have likely used the .308 over the 7 x 57? Just wondering what he would think would give better penetration or performance than a 173 grain projectile from a 7 x 57 on a brain shot, perhaps a 200 grain projectile (similar sectional density and similar velocity?).

Last edited by Riflehunter; 08/13/22.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
609 members (2003and2013, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,245
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.