Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Got a new set of Lee dies for the 7mm Rem Mag and the first use produced damage to the shoulder of the first 30 cases I full length recized. Although it looks like too much lube it is not . I cleaned the die again in the process and was very careful with the lube ( been at this since 1975). I have never seen anything quite like this.

GB1

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Use Hornady Aerosol One Shot --- end of problem.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Without pictures, well you know the rest...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Definitely need pictures.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like die is not adjusted right.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
IC B2

N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Call Lee

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Or the 7mag chamber they were fired in is very long and the fl die is not. Hard to say without being there.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
all good answers.. the solution is in there somewhere I'd bet...

its always something simple that we over look...

and speaking of over look, have you looked and seen if any grit might still be inside the die, and was overlooked when cleaning it out...

a squirt or two of brake cleaner should remove it, if that is the problem...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Sorry guys my pics are too large to post. On a good note I contacted Lee and was able to send them pics by email. They have agreed that the die body is bad and are replacing it.

THANKS LEE PERCISION

They were easy to work with and very responsive

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the follow up, Jambuster. I've been following the thread with interest.

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
IC B3

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Just some additional follow-up:

I loaded my first rounds in 1975 so I do have some experience. I usually use Lee lube but was using Hornaday One Shot this batch. This was a brand new Lee 4 die set. I have about 25 sets of rifle dies and about 60% of them are RCBS , WITH ABOUT 30% being Lee , and the rest everybody else's. I like the 4 dies sets for the price and they include a collet neck sizer and the factory crimp die. I crimp all loads I develop. My guns and loads are working guns. I load for max performance but reliable ammo is paramount. I am currently loading for me ,my son , three son-in-laws , and 3 grandsons. We all have a 7mm-08 ( it is the family standard). One of the son-in-law's and I are shooters so we both have a wide variety of guns and cartridges. My primary targets in the field are coyotes , wild pigs, deer, and other abnocous varmints.

On the hand loading front I use 4 reloading presses:

RCBS Rock chucker
RCBS jr-3
Redding T-7 turret
Redding "The Boss" their small press no one ever talks about

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Just some additional follow-up:

I loaded my first rounds in 1975 so I do have some experience. I usually use Lee lube but was using Hornaday One Shot this batch. This was a brand new Lee 4 die set. I have about 25 sets of rifle dies and about 60% of them are RCBS , WITH ABOUT 30% being Lee , and the rest everybody else's. I like the 4 dies sets for the price and they include a collet neck sizer and the factory crimp die. I crimp all loads I develop. My guns and loads are working guns. I load for max performance but reliable ammo is paramount. I am currently loading for me ,my son , three son-in-laws , and 3 grandsons. We all have a 7mm-08 ( it is the family standard). One of the son-in-law's and I are shooters so we both have a wide variety of guns and cartridges. My primary targets in the field are coyotes , wild pigs, deer, and other abnocous varmints.

On the hand loading front I use 4 reloading presses:

RCBS Rock chucker
RCBS jr-3
Redding T-7 turret
Redding "The Boss" their small press no one ever talks about

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Glad you got it figured out,,, remember back then,, (75 an a little later) we could get anything we could dream up to, load with,,,, ?? now -a -days I,m stingy with stuff,, it shpiuld,nt be that way,,,, good luck this year,,,

There's never enough time to do it right ,but there's always enough time to do, it over....
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Just a follow up I recieved my new die body from Lee Precision this morning. Took less than 10 days which I consider acceptable service . Haven't tried it but will this afternoon. Also this was the body only and did not include the rod with the decapping pin , or the collet that holds it .

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

492 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 57 invisible), 2,720 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,929
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.