Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm going out tomorrow to set up my game camera overnight. Baiting for coyotes is legal (but not deer, bear or turkey). Any suggestions on baits that someone might have around the house? Can of tuna? Last night's leftovers?

Last edited by 10Glocks; 08/10/22.
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Roadkill

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
dead horse....

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Dog food?

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I wish I had a dead longhorn steer. I was in the Wichita Mountains in Oklahoma in 2015 and there was a dead longhorn in a ravine. I drove out there at night and the place was thick with coyotes. I think that steer brought them in from miles and miles away. Never heard so much howling.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I leave coyotes and pigs as bait.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Run a blade down their bellies and leave em to the buzzards and mama.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
why dirty a blade?.....

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
maybe because he thinks buzzards can't figure it out for themselves?

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

I think the coyotes we leave are eaten by the pigs.

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Yaddio
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

I think the coyotes we leave are eaten by the pigs.
Agreed.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by huntsman22
why dirty a blade?.....

Because it speeds up the cleanup detail, if i hit one with 22-250 and no exit, have seen them lay there up for a week with buzzard crew perched above thinking they're still alive i guess, clean gut slice and a tail yank to spill innards has them cleaning up very quickly, running a blade down into the soil a couple times cleans it up fine, i dont carry my Bagwell Damascus skinners up to check on a coyote kill, i grab the same knife i threw at that kid for a free ear clipping holding a gun up in the handgun forum under the 40 yard shoot off drill Bluedreaux started.

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I went out this morning to plant my trail cam. On the way in, I found half of a turkey wing feather on the trail. It rained earlier in the morning. I didn't see any turkey or coyote tracks this morning at all. The rain may have washed them away.
There were some very fresh deer tracks.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I have no idea what kind of tracks these are. They were about and inch long. Funny thing is, it wasn't a trail of tracks, it was just these three in the middle of a big, wet muddy area.

I have my camera at the bend in a trail where I saw most of the coyote tracks last time I was there. I threw out six pieces of left over fried chicken for bait. So who knows.

I flushed some quail on the way out. This place does seem to have a somewhat decent population of quails.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The three tracks look like rabbit tracks

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I skin the nice ones and either sell them when the prices are good or have them tanned when they aren't, my wife wants a throw for the den.

Toss a couple nice ones across the furniture, it spruces up the house.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

The left one was killed just below the Canadian border and the right just a couple miles from the Mexican border.

I have a portable fleshing beam on my truck and keep a few stretchers in the gear box.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by erich; 08/12/22.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Pretty cool. I have several tanned hanging around my house, but my house is different from most.

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Let them lay! Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms……..

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
But, But, But..... You have to slice their guts out and stab your knife in the dirt a few times, or buzzards won't touch 'em...... Or so I've heard.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Road kill skunk. I'm serious. Keep a garbage bag and a bucket in your vehicle... preferably a pickup. Kind of like stinkbait for catfish... you don't want to get any of it on you but they like it.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
So that was pretty anti-climactic. I went to retrieve my camera. Two of the pieces of fried chicken had been eaten, with the skin pulled off and not eaten. The other four pieces were untouched. What kind of infernal creature would eat fried chicken and not the skin? Whatever it was must have been low enough not to trigger the camera. I had it set a little high so I could see down the trail. I had the flash turned up and the sensitivity on long range. Nothing. The only pictures I got were when I set it up and when I took it down. And no tracks of any kind on the trail that I had it watching.

However,

After I took my camera down, I decided to walk the trail past the second bend. Lots of deer tracks there. As I am wrapping my strap around my camera, not really paying attention, I look up and vaguely notice something walking in the high weeds to my left going in the same direction as me. It was a big ass skunk. It was like 12 feet away. I don't think it ever saw me. I stopped and it continued on. It started to turn left into the thicket where I flushed three hens a couple of weeks ago. I started making kissy sounds and it stopped, finally saw me, but never got defensive. I pulled out my Glock 19 and took aim I could have nailed it but I decided to let it go. If I see it again after September 1 when they are in season on this state forest, I will. I understand that are very much egg eaters.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

470 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,831
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.