Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Seems Christopher Wolf, a postdoctoral scholar in the College of Forestry at Oregon State University in Corvallis. is proposing we make 191,500 sq miles a sanctuary for Wolves. This amounts largely as federal lands in the following states California, Oregon, New Mexico, Washington, Nevada, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and Utah. Just looking to offer an opportunity to weigh in on the matter. Though to be honest I am unclear as to the options to weigh in.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OSU Forestry school was destroyed in the mid 2000s. Now they'll give a sheepskin to anyone.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Shouldn’t they be able adapt through evolution? The environment is placing stressors on them. Evolutionary processes should be kicked in and working.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And they will prosper and remain harmlessly within those bounds.

Seems a lot of preservationists have moved into what used to be conservation careers.

Post Docs are usually PhD's that can't find a real job.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/12/22.

1Minute
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Being a Utah resident

I'd much rather see elk calves.......deer & antelope fawns

Private livestock owners will agree

Wolves need to be kept very well in check

Most people I know will consider a wolf a big coyote

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Most people I know will consider a wolf a big coyote

Really! Impossible to distinguish twixt them in low light or when hunting at night…oops…mistakes happen!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Poor wolves.

Who is protecting the elk and the deer and the livestock?

Where are these post doctorate scholars at OSU?

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That's a big chunk of land, much larger than the entire state of Montana.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Wolves are adapting quite nicely to people and urban areas as they move 8nto central and southern wisconsin, much to the surprise of all the biologists and wannabes who said they could 9nly survive in near wilderness areas. Can't wait until Madison and Milwaukee are enjoying them as much as we do in the northern part of the state!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anyone with a brain who see's the 90% drop in ungulate populations in my favorite summer spot - mountainous ID, would advocate for complete extermination.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Washington DC is already a huge wolf sanctuary. What more do they want? But I hope each greenie personally protects a wolf. Maybe the wolf can wear them as body armor.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I don't think we are killing enough wolves

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tylerw02
Washington DC is already a huge wolf sanctuary. What more do they want? But I hope each greenie personally protects a wolf. Maybe the wolf can wear them as body armor.

I believe you meant Weasel Sanctuary…..

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
They have wolves in nw south dakota occaisionally but what they don't have is ranchers dumb enough to talk about it. Sss is alive as a doctrine among those who have learned from their neighbors.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I don't think we are killing enough wolves
The trouble is, you don't just run out and kill a wolf. They're very hard to come by. Very few are taken by hunters primarily after deer or elk. In Idaho, you can buy an unlimited number of wolf tags and the price is very low, $11 for residents, yet the wolf numbers are growing. More are taken by trappers but there are too few trappers to thin them out.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hunterapp
Seems Christopher Wolf, a postdoctoral scholar in the College of Forestry at Oregon State University in Corvallis. is proposing we make 191,500 sq miles a sanctuary for Wolves. This amounts largely as federal lands in the following states California, Oregon, New Mexico, Washington, Nevada, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and Utah. Just looking to offer an opportunity to weigh in on the matter. Though to be honest I am unclear as to the options to weigh in.

I don't have a problem with the wolf huggers creating sanctuary.

But I have a HUGE problem with them doing it on public lands with our tax dollars, and the infringement it has on lands already historically leased to ranchers, who suffer the most collateral financial damage due to these programs, as well as the wildlife and hunting issues. mad

If they want a sanctuary.... Fine. Buy a bunch of land, high fence it, and do as you please. But don't force that crap on our public lands.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Seeing the wolf devastation here in northern MN I can relate first hand.
With all the holy protections given wolves these days here no one animal lover is any the better off nor has seen any more or experienced any more wolf interaction than any other time.
The only tangible result of the explosion in our states wolf population is the ungulates have been devastated, livestock predation has increased tremendously, and other canines including domestic dogs are being attacked and killed in greater numbers.
Then again, with no ungulates to hunt our moose season has been long cancelled and the number of deer hunters is dropping fast. No big game to hunt, no need for big game seasons, no need for guns eh?
I think there is a long game here and I think the article/topic at hand is pushing western states in that direction as well.
Wolves are expanding just fine as is, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain….

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Was it BrentD who explained how wolves improved the game herds?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
These kinds of regulations always come from those who have no skin in the game.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
These kinds of regulations always come from those who have no skin in the game.

But they do!

Their emotions...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
653 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 73 invisible), 2,971 guests, and 1,376 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,668
Posts18,399,405
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.