Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I got tired of all the 209 drama and now have two sidelocks. Good luck with yours.
Pretty funny. Not long ago you jumped me because I said something derogatory about inlines; and you defended them! They suck, and I'm glad you figured it out.

GB1

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
THe picture from that article looks just like the primers that were sticking in my rifle. Thanks for posting it.

"What's the point of being retired if you can't climb trees and wash your feet in the creek?" - Teal
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Plumdog
I got tired of all the 209 drama and now have two sidelocks. Good luck with yours.
Pretty funny. Not long ago you jumped me because I said something derogatory about inlines; and you defended them! They suck, and I'm glad you figured it out.

Don’t recall the encounter, but in general I don’t like people who want to dictate how others hunt (or fish) so if you’re one of those that would be my best guess of what was “discussed”. I sold my Knight mainly because it was a lot of money to have tied up in something for a one-week season that takes place after the deer have been pressured for a couple of months. The secondary reason was that it was a PITA to clean, and primers tended to stick in the bolt. I even bought the shims to fix that, and an aftermarket plug too, but never bothered to use them. A third reason is that I just don’t enjoy shooting inlines as much as I do the more “organic” oldtimers, and now that I have good glasses, I can use them effectively. Have a very nice PH 1858 thats a pleasure to fire just for fun, and bought a used Renegade to use up all the .50 stuff I have laying around. Both will see woods-time.

What fresh Hell is this?
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Those of you who aren't sure you're cleaning your breech plug correctly...

Last edited by Underclocked; 08/12/22.

WHUT?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Several great suggestions. I will add that whenever I had stuck primers the pressures were too high and went away when I lowered the powder charge. I would powdercoat cast lead bullets and shoot them before I ever used bore butter or any similar bullet lube.

Medics bury their mistakes..
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Plumdog

Don’t recall the encounter, but in general I don’t like people who want to dictate how others hunt (or fish) so if you’re one of those that would be my best guess of what was “discussed”. I sold my Knight mainly because it was a lot of money to have tied up in something for a one-week season that takes place after the deer have been pressured for a couple of months. The secondary reason was that it was a PITA to clean, and primers tended to stick in the bolt. I even bought the shims to fix that, and an aftermarket plug too, but never bothered to use them. A third reason is that I just don’t enjoy shooting inlines as much as I do the more “organic” oldtimers, and now that I have good glasses, I can use them effectively. Have a very nice PH 1858 thats a pleasure to fire just for fun, and bought a used Renegade to use up all the .50 stuff I have laying around. Both will see woods-time.
Yeah, that's what it was. I take issue with attempts at navigating around the intent of the "primitive methods" seasons. But I ain't no elitist. I used to shoot compound bow with sights and release, but lately I would rather go with flintlock. Challenging!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Been making my meat with a crossbow for the past few years, but like the inlines it’s not something I shoot for fun, just enough to verify zero and then hunt. It’s a killer, but heavy and awkward, however if I can scratch down a baldie with it early on, I’ll satisfy our Earn-a-Buck rule and not have to pass on any shots later. We also have some early antlerless opportunities before the rut and I plan to try out some other “alternative” weaponry during those days.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
CVA, and others I'm sure, make a little tool that removes stubborn primers. It has a little channel that the primer "rim" slides into and you can easily remove them. I'm almost certain my Accura V2 came with one. The Paramount Pro has one under the floorplate, albeit a slightly different size.

https://cva.com/product/capperextractor-tool-for-209-primers/

Last edited by kciH; 08/15/22.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1badf350, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,127 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,106
Posts18,464,235
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.